Sandy and Amtrak

Old Oct 27, 12, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Sandy and Amtrak

I have seen on a couple of airline forums suggesting that Amtrak may be viable alternative to flying over the next few days. Unfortunately, Amtrak is almost as susceptible to power line damage as anywhere else. Also, bridges may be closed due to high winds, and causeways and low lying areas are threatened by flooding.

So check before you travel, and you might want to carry a little extra food and water. I was once stuck one NE corridor train for 7 hours due to trees down on the track. i got may envious looks because I had brought food with me. the cafe car had been wiped out in no time.
Old Oct 27, 12, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by You want to go where? View Post
I have seen on a couple of airline forums suggesting that Amtrak may be viable alternative to flying over the next few days. Unfortunately, Amtrak is almost as susceptible to power line damage as anywhere else. Also, bridges may be closed due to high winds, and causeways and low lying areas are threatened by flooding.

So check before you travel, and you might want to carry a little extra food and water. I was once stuck one NE corridor train for 7 hours due to trees down on the track. i got may envious looks because I had brought food with me. the cafe car had been wiped out in no time.
Amtrak and other ground transports are starting to announce closures and cancellations: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...rricane-sandy/
Old Oct 28, 12, 7:53 am

Amtrak cancellations are fairly limited so far: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1251622929950

However if NY subways and LIRR shut down I would think that forces Amtrak's hand a bit, particularly if the East River tunnels are being secured against flooding.
Old Oct 28, 12, 8:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer View Post
However if NY subways and LIRR shut down I would think that forces Amtrak's hand a bit, particularly if the East River tunnels are being secured against flooding.
Amtrak owns the East River tunnels, so a LIRR shutdown would not force Amtrak's hand. Amtrak, and only Amtrak, would decide when and if to shut down the tunnels.

Now, a lack of subway & bus service to/from Penn Station could make Amtrak reconsider service.

On the other hand, unless there is a last minute change in the storms track, I suspect that it may well be Trenton going under water again that will shut down the NEC, or at least the NEC from NYP south.
Old Oct 28, 12, 9:25 am

No update from Amtrak, but if you try to book a train for Monday, they have now zeroed the availability on all service between Washington and Boston and everything shows as sold out. Not a good sign.
Old Oct 28, 12, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer View Post
No update from Amtrak, but if you try to book a train for Monday, they have now zeroed the availability on all service between Washington and Boston and everything shows as sold out. Not a good sign.
There are now other cancellations ---

see

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1251622929950

This doesn't come as a big surprise to me particularly if you think in terms of downed trees, signal outages, and possibly wash outs.

Bob H
Old Oct 28, 12, 2:20 pm

All service cancelled for Monday in the Northeast corridor

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1251622931902
Old Oct 28, 12, 5:50 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Stay safe, everyone!

Please keep an eye on the Amtrak.com alerts page for any updates during the storm: http://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices

Or, check our Twitter feed for the Northeast Corridor: http://twitter.com/AmtrakNEC

From your friends at AGR
Old Oct 30, 12, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AGR Insider View Post
Stay safe, everyone!

Please keep an eye on the Amtrak.com alerts page for any updates during the storm: http://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices

Or, check our Twitter feed for the Northeast Corridor: http://twitter.com/AmtrakNEC

From your friends at AGR
AGR, it seems that Amtrak hasn't updated their service alerts, although the Governor of Connecticut has announced that Amtrak won't be running in Connecticut tomorrow. Any way you can suggest they provide more frequent and detailed alerts. thanks!
Old Oct 30, 12, 6:16 pm
In Memoriam

Amtrak took a big hit on the NEC, especially around Penn with flooding in the tunnels. Here's their latest update, with limited service on the NEC as far north/RR east as Newark.

AMTRAK SERVICE RESTORATION PLAN
by Amtrak on Tuesday, October 30, 2012 at 3:48pm ·
Modified Northeast Regional service from Newark, N.J., to points south, some Downeaster service and Keystone service to operate; overnight train service restoration also underway

Amtrak will provide modified Northeast Regional service between Newark, N.J., and points south, on Wednesday, October 31, including restoring Virginia service to Lynchburg, Richmond and Newport News. Amtrak will also operate Keystone Service trains between Harrisburg, Penn., and Philadelphia, and modified Downeaster service trains between Boston and Portland, Maine, along with some overnight services to and from the Northeast.

However, as in the case of other tunnel owners and operators in New York City, Amtrak is removing water and making repairs to track, signal and power systems within its tunnels under the Hudson and East rivers. The amount of water intrusion into the tunnels is unprecedented – as was the storm itself – so a date for restoration of Amtrak service directly to/from New York Penn Station from either the north or south is not available at this time.

Therefore, there will be no Northeast Regional service between Newark and Boston and noAcela Express service for the length of the Northeast Corridor on Wednesday, October 31. Also, at Newark Penn Station, there will be no connecting service to New York City and no elevator or escalator service. Service to the Newark Liberty Airport rail station is suspended due to a lack of connecting services.

Also canceled on Wednesday, October 31, is the Empire Service between New York City and Buffalo/Niagara Falls, the Adirondack to and from Montreal, Québec, Canada, and theEthan Allen Express to and from Rutland, Vt., due to track damage south of Albany-Rensselaer, N.Y.

Other service plans, full and partial service, for Wednesday, October 31:
Crescent (Trains 19 & 20) will operate only between Washington D.C. and New Orleans
Cardinal (Train 51) will operate only between Indianapolis and Chicago
Auto Train (Train 52) will operate as schedule as scheduled between Sanford, Fla., and Lorton, Va.
Maple Leaf (Trains 63 & 64) will operate only between Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and Albany-Rensselaer
Carolinian (Trains 79 & 80) will operate only between Philadelphia and Charlotte
Silver Star (Trains 91 & 92) will only operate between Miami and Jacksonville, Fla.
Silver Meteor (Trains 97 & 98) will operate between Washington D.C. and Miami
Lake Shore Limited (Trains 448 & 449) will operate normally between Chicago and Boston, with no (Trains 48 & 49) service to points south of Albany-Rensselaer.
The following trains are also canceled for Wednesday, October 31:
Shuttle trains, Springfield, Mass.-New Haven, Conn.
Capitol Limited (Trains 29 & 30), Chicago-Washington, D.C.
Pennsylvanian (Trains 42 & 43), Pittsburgh-New York City
Auto Train (Train 53), Lorton, Va.-Sanford, Fla.
Vermonter (Trains 55 & 56), St. Albans, Vt.-Washington, D.C.
Palmetto (Trains 89 & 90), New York-Savannah
Customers are encouraged to monitor Amtrak.com/alerts and those Northeast Corridor passengers on Acela Express, Northeast Regional or Keystone Service trains can follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter to be notified when updates are posted on Amtrak.com. Amtrak will also be providing updates on its Facebook.com/Amtrak and Twitter.com/Amtrak pages.

Amtrak will update this statement by Wednesday evening, October 31.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some tickets booked online that have not yet been printed can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.
To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visitAmtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.
Old Oct 30, 12, 6:18 pm
In Memoriam

For the curious, the link below to an MTA run You Tube site shows water running into the Line 2 tunnel, the one typically used by Amtrak for their inbound trains. The LIRR during rush hour will also send trains through the line 2 tunnel.

The mouth of this tunnel is also the closest mouth to the East River, the other 3 are a bit further east.

MTA Tunnel Vid

Last edited by AlanB; Oct 30, 12 at 6:26 pm
Old Oct 30, 12, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, AlanB.

For whatever reason, this alert would not show on my computer, despite several attempts a refreshing the data. Finally,it showed up just a few minutes ago and I was going to post it But you have saved me th trouble.

I am not surprised given the impact of the storm on the subway system, but none of the news outlets I was listening to we're talking about the Amtrak tunnels, so I was just guessing.

I currently have an Acela reservation on Saturday from New Haven. I may have to consider an alternate as the amount of work they have to do is considerable.

Any one have any clue if the lack of Acelas from Newark is due to the need to run diesel power, because of overhead power problems?
Old Oct 30, 12, 10:33 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by You want to go where? View Post
Any one have any clue if the lack of Acelas from Newark is due to the need to run diesel power, because of overhead power problems?
No specific clue, but I suspect that it's more a matter of not wanting to stress the system, coupled with the fact that Acela really caters to business people who want NYP; not Newark. Plus if they do have a failure, its easier to tow a Regional than to tow an Acela.

I also suspect that without NYP in the equation they're probably not expecting a big amount of ridership, so it makes more sense to operate the less costly Regional trains.

Finally, I'm not real sure just what the cafe's carrying capacity is on Acela. I do know that a Regional's cafe can easily carry enough food for a round trip. But I don't know if the Acela cafe car has a similar capacity or not. And of FC does not have such a capacity, so there would be no way to restock that for sure.
Old Oct 30, 12, 10:56 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Thanks so much for the latest updates and discussion. My thoughts and hopes for safe, convenient travel soon for all of the Northeast Corridor friends, customers and colleagues.
Old Oct 31, 12, 1:37 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Anyone have any creative alternative transportation methods from Newark Penn to Midtown given the Amtrak outage? I'm thinking I'll have to end up taking a taxi... Any bus options running?

Search this Thread