Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Possible EuroStar partnership on the horizon

Old Oct 16, 12, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Just got an email to complete a survey. After getting through the "screening" questions the meat of the content was all about a possible earn and burn partnership with EuroStar. Very appealing, I'd say, at least until we find out what the rates are.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...oining-forces/
Old Oct 16, 12, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Interesting concept, indeed (and thanks for posting, since not all of us got the survey).

But I wish AGR would start a little closer to home. It's sad that, on the heels of AGR's 12th anniversary, there's still no partnership VIA Rail Canada Préférence. In fact, the only real Amtrak-VIA marketing partnership (the North American Rail Pass) was eliminated a few years back. Préférence actually even has an agreement with SNCF (France), but nothing with AGR.
Old Oct 16, 12, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak View Post
Interesting concept, indeed (and thanks for posting, since not all of us got the survey).

But I wish AGR would start a little closer to home. It's sad that, on the heels of AGR's 12th anniversary, there's still no partnership VIA Rail Canada Préférence. In fact, the only real Amtrak-VIA marketing partnership (the North American Rail Pass) was eliminated a few years back. Préférence actually even has an agreement with SNCF (France), but nothing with AGR.
+1
Old Oct 17, 12, 10:05 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak View Post
Préférence actually even has an agreement with SNCF (France), but nothing with AGR.
Perhaps it's the language barrier
They certainly do have a very odd earning/burning chart, though, reflecting the very different desirability of their routes.
Old Oct 17, 12, 11:20 am

Since Eurostar runs the chunnel train from England to France, does this mean it may be possible in the next few years to take a chunnel-like train from Manhattan to London and then connect to the Eurostar in Paris.

I suppose it may be a few years on the horizon, but, assiming the partership is true and such a train may come to fruition, how many zones do you think this would be?

A current AGR redemtion from New York to Los Angeles is 3 zones, so would a trip from New York to Paris be considered 4 zones or even 5?

Definitely planning to start banking the AGR points now and start learning to speak French!
Old Oct 18, 12, 9:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
Since Eurostar runs the chunnel train from England to France, does this mean it may be possible in the next few years to take a chunnel-like train from Manhattan to London and then connect to the Eurostar in Paris.
I assume you're joking, but at the very least I feel compelled to point out that a tunnel between NYC and London would be a shoo-in for the world's least-scenic train trip!
Old Oct 20, 12, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), now an Elite Peon
Originally Posted by fairviewroad View Post
I assume you're joking, but at the very least I feel compelled to point out that a tunnel between NYC and London would be a shoo-in for the world's least-scenic train trip!
A series of bridges between Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, and Ireland wouldn't be, though!
Old Oct 22, 12, 1:54 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
I agree that Amtrak should also do a North American partnership "closer to home". A potential Amtrak partnership with Eurostar however, can be quite interesting. Perhaps in the future, Amtrak can also partner not just with Eurostar, but with the Rail Team, which is a rail group, equivalent to an airline group like *A, OW or ST. Eurostar belongs to the Rail Team, and so does SNCF, DB, Thalys and SBB.
Old Nov 7, 12, 5:53 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
The 250 bonus points for completing this survey posted to my AGR account today.
Old Nov 16, 12, 1:48 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Wow. I'm imagining how nice it would be if I could use my thousands of AGR points for my weekly Eurostar journeys…
Old Nov 16, 12, 12:55 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
What about Parterning with something Closer to Home like VIA in Canada eh! The old North American Rail Pass used to be a great way to ride Amtrak and VIA all over North America! Id think more of us would use that than the Trains in Europe!

Search this Thread