Amtrak Connect Wi-Fi Expansion

Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Amtrak Connect Wi-Fi Expansion

As stated in an Amtrak email, Amtrak Connect Wi-Fi will be expanded to the following routes:

• Northeast Regional
• Ethan Allen Express
• Maple Leaf
• Carolinian
• Vermonter
• Adirondack
• Keystone Service
• Empire Service
• Palmetto
• New Haven-Springfield Shuttle
• Amtrak Downeaster
• Pennsylvanian

According to the Amtrak website, for now, the connection will only be available in select cars on the Adirondack, Maple Leaf, Palmetto, and Pennsylvanian, while the other listed trains will have Wi-Fi available in all cars.

I am quite pleased, as I found this to be a great service, and it's free.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
While that is great news, I wish they would focus on improving the existing wi-fi service on the Acela first, before expanding to others. It's extremely slow and service is spotty at best.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by CKinMD
While that is great news, I wish they would focus on improving the existing wi-fi service on the Acela first, before expanding to others. It's extremely slow and service is spotty at best.
I agree. I find the wifi on the aclea to be practically unusable because it is so slow.

In contrast, I traveled southbound on the 93 this past Thursday and was pleasantly surprised when I saw the amtrak connect service available. It was quite snappy - but this was before they had any signs advertising it on board. When I traveled back north on the 2152 on Friday, I was unable to use the wifi as it was so slow. So either they have upgraded their service on the regionals compared to the acela, or it is a capacity issue on the acela.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

I have only used it on the Cascades, and the speed was acceptable, so the lack of speed may be an Acela-specific problem. I would imagine one cause being that more Acela customers carry Wi-Fi enabled devices than your regular Amtrak customers, so the system must deal with more connections.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:30 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
At least on the Downeaster, the Wi-Fi is based on cell signals, so if the Acela passes through areas that have poor cell reception, that perhaps explains the slow/spotty service. There are plenty of areas in ME/NH/Northern MA that the Wi-Fi does not work well on the Downeaster, then there are others where it is great.

Is Amtrak Connect different/better than the previous Wi-Fi that was available on the Downeaster?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:42 pm

Kinda funny that Empire Builder is not on that list. Maybe because only satellite reaches the Montana-North Dakota stretch. Was wishing for it on my last trip.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Kinda funny that Empire Builder is not on that list. Maybe because only satellite reaches the Montana-North Dakota stretch. Was wishing for it on my last trip.
I assume equipping Superliners with Wi-Fi capability is more expensive than doing it to their Amfleet counterparts, so I doubt we will see Amtrak Connect on routes such as the Empire Builder anytime soon.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:22 am

People with 4G plans were browsing away on my ride. So there's still a way for those who really want to be connected.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by lo2e
At least on the Downeaster, the Wi-Fi is based on cell signals, so if the Acela passes through areas that have poor cell reception, that perhaps explains the slow/spotty service. There are plenty of areas in ME/NH/Northern MA that the Wi-Fi does not work well on the Downeaster, then there are others where it is great.

Is Amtrak Connect different/better than the previous Wi-Fi that was available on the Downeaster?
It's not the spotty cell reception, as I will be on my iPhone and surfing away just fine on the acela and still be unable to use the wifi. Or replace iPhone with mifi. I travel with both. I still need to travel with both since the wifi is a joke.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:53 am
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
A quick note about AmtrakConnect

“We acknowledge the speeds can be improved. With 1/3 of the train using the system at any give time (which equates to around 100 people at any one time) it is quite a challenge to supply enough bandwidth. Although 4G speeds are becoming more prevalent, they’re not nearly widespread enough, especially for a train which can travel outside of large population area. One of our number one focuses this year is on enhancing the bandwidth on Acela to better speeds and bandwidth. We’re currently in conversations with all of the wireless carriers who support our service. For more information about AmtrakConnect, please visit: http://bit.ly/jRDfrf”

Becky Parks,
Senior Marketing Officer, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I'm glad Amtrak is looking into this.

I was on 88 this past Sunday NYP-NHV. The WiFi was absolutely useless. Some Web pages took 10 minutes to load. My Apple Mail timed out frequently.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wxguy
I'm glad Amtrak is looking into this.

I was on 88 this past Sunday NYP-NHV. The WiFi was absolutely useless. Some Web pages took 10 minutes to load. My Apple Mail timed out frequently.
Totally agree! It is absolutely and utterly useless...use your own 4G. For now it just provides Amtrak to advertise it as a benefit so rookies will take the train instead of the plane.

It's like winning a jackpot without knowing that the jackpot is only worth a couple of cents. Excitement lasts as long as you don't know the real worth!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:50 am

With so many smartphones out there, I'd guess people would just revert to their 4G and save the high blood pressure.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:42 am

Tried it on 162 on Thanksgiving WAS-BWI and it was worthless. So was Verizon's 3G, actually.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
Good to know that Amtrak understands how useless the service is during peak times... hopefully they will find a solution.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.