Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business on Regional or Acela ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.

Traveling from Baltimore to New York.. Should I spend the money for Business Class on the Northwest Regional or Acela? Are there any difference besides time? I was thinking of doing First on Acela.. Then I saw the price. Why does Amtrak charge sooo much ?

Thanks..
The Swede
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

They charge so much because people are willing to pay it.

I find the Regional Business Class more comfortable/spacious than Business Class on the Acela. The Regional will take a little longer, though.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Is Acela business more crowd
ed then Regional?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Business Class is the lowest class offered on the Acela. Seating is always 2 x 2.

Business Class is the highest class offered on the Regional. On at least some trains, the Regional Business Class is half of the Café Car, and features 1 x 2 seating.

As to which will be more "crowded," that will probably vary from train to train.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Most of the regional trains feature 2x2 business class seating, with (and this is inexcusable to me), no armrest between the two seats.

The Vermonter reliably has the 1x2 business class seating, but the cabin is very small and often sells out well in advance.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GfL
First on Acela is not really worth it, IMO--I do it only when I have an upgrade coupon and want to eat on the train. I sit in Business (a.k.a. coach) on Acela and that's just fine.

Depending on what time of day it is, your Acela will either be packed or about 2/3 full. They tend to sell out at peak times.

I have never tried Business on the regional train, but I don't mind taking a regional in coach. In the middle of the day, Mon-Thurs, these trains tend to be emptier than the Acela. They are pretty comfortable, and a lot cheaper. No footrests; dingier bathrooms; no arm rest between the seats.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Originally Posted by guv1976

I find the Regional Business Class more comfortable/spacious than Business Class on the Acela. The Regional will take a little longer, though.
I agree..... I find that Business Class on a Regional train is much less crowded than any Acela train......I don't mind the extra 20-30 mins on Regional train in Business Class because if I'm taking Amtrak it's because I want to get some extra work done, or extra napping time......enjoy!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Ok... I'm thinking business class on the Vermonter...we shall see. Perhaps I do TR.. A newbie at that though
Thanks for all the help
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Although a bit older, info in the following threads is probably still accurate...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...-regional.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...-regional.html
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I prefer the Regional's coach Quiet Car to Regional Business. The only tangible benefit to Business is free soft drinks, and I'd gladly trade that for a cellphone-free ride.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Value is in the eye of the beholder

1. It's impossible to determine whether F on the Acela is worth it for you. If it means that your kids will go without school shoes, I'd say it's not worth it. If you've got the money, why not?

2. To me, the value of F on the Acela is the 2-1 seating which allows me a single seat, a meal served at my seat, a couple of drinks along the way and about 2:40 of useable work / sleep time out of a 2:50 ride. Time is money to me and what I can do with the time by far exceeds the approx. $100 extra for the F ticket.

3. If forced onto a Regional, Business is also worth it. I find it more comfortable, although I could care less about a "free" soda.

4. As to why F is expensive, that's the price point which people are willing to pay. Most rush hour trains along the WAS-NYP-BOS route are sold out in F, so that points to the fact that it's really not so expensive that people aren't willing to pay it.

But, in the end, only you as an individual can determine value.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by wxguy
I prefer the Regional's coach Quiet Car to Regional Business. The only tangible benefit to Business is free soft drinks, and I'd gladly trade that for a cellphone-free ride.
Have to agree with this. Took the NER up to Philly last week and the bathroom had flooded in the quiet car, filling the whole thing with the smell of...

Even with headphones on, the cell phone blathering was pretty rough.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: Continetnal Silver
If arriving on time is important than take Acela. During delays Acele has priority over Rgional trains and is normally quite good with Ontime Arrivals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.