Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Safe to leave bags at ClubAcela @ WDC Union Station?

Old May 9, 2012, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent

I'll be taking the Acela to NJ leaving at 7PM, and wanted to spend the day in DC after checking out of my hotel -- I've seen other people mention that it's possible to leave my bags at the ClubAcela, any comments on if this is actually a good idea to do?

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2012, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by some dude
I'll be taking the Acela to NJ leaving at 7PM, and wanted to spend the day in DC after checking out of my hotel -- I've seen other people mention that it's possible to leave my bags at the ClubAcela, any comments on if this is actually a good idea to do?

Thanks!
There is a checked bag stand in the station; why not just use that?
Old May 9, 2012, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Reviews online generally not favorable for the Tiburon Bag Check ... Complaints of "Expensive per-hour fees", staff that is sometimes not available at pick-up time, and mishandling of baggage (throwing bags around).

I'm not terribly concerned about their prices, but I'd be highly annoyed if no one was there when I needed to pick up my bags, and I don't really want my bags thrown around either.

Besides, if ClubAcela will do this, it's one less chore to run.

Note: I've never actually been to this station, so I'm basing my opinion entirely on other people's reviews online...
Old May 9, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Personally, I would not leave a bag in the Club for any extended period of time.

I am in that lounge 2 -3x per month and have never seen or heard of any issues, so it's just my preference to not take the risk.

The luggage storage in the station is ridiculously expensive. I'm sorry, but I dont recall the pricing off-hand, but I remember feeling really ripped off the one time I had to use it.

One alternative may be to take your bags with you to one of the nearby hotels and see if they are willing to store them for you. I've had a few friends do this before and it worked out quite well.
Old May 9, 2012, 9:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I would not leave anything of major value in your bag in the CA, for example leaving an iPad in your bag would be a very bad idea. One does have to walk past the attendants at the front desk to get into the luggage area, and there is a camera mounted in the storage area, but still the agents can be distracted and of course also don't know if someone is removing their bag or someone else's bag.

So if you make sure your bag is not easily confused with others and you have nothing of major value, then I'd be fine with leaving my bag in the CA. You could even mention to the agent when you check in that it will be there for quite some time, just in case they check on things.

I would not use the paid service outside by Gate A. I've heard horrible stories about them and they are very expensive!
Old May 15, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'm always of the mindset in these situations that the clientele in a premium lounge is generally not who you would expect to be pilfering items from bags. Remember, to get in the CA, you need to either be S+, traveling in Acela F, holding a United Club membership, or having spent a relatively high number of AGR points for a day pass. Those qualifications screen out most petty thieves.

That said, I would not leave valuable electronics (laptops, iPads, expensive cameras, etc.) unattended. So, when traveling, I usually leave my rollaboard with clothes, etc. and keep my laptop either in a backpack or a small computer briefcase that I carry around.

I have used the bag check near gate A and had no problems. I seem to recall about $6 (plus tip) to store the bag for several hours. However, I did last use them in about 2007, so it's possible things have gone downhill.
Old May 17, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
i have left my bags there for a few hours with no problem. I would never leave electronics or anything. But my bag main luggage i have no problem leaving there.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:36 pm

Acela Club in DC

Originally Posted by njxbean
i have left my bags there for a few hours with no problem. I would never leave electronics or anything. But my bag main luggage i have no problem leaving there.
I've left my bags in the Acela Club several times, with no problems at all. I would not leave my IPad or other valuables in the luggage, but the club seems like a safe enough place--as safe as an airport carousel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.