Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak MasterCard 32,000 points offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold

So after joining AGR and doing some local rides, I waited.

Eventually about 3 weeks ago, I got the offer in the mail that included 32,000 bonus points. I think that's just how they do things, there's not an open offer for 32,000 points out, but they fish in the AGR pool for applicants. Anyhow.....

I sent in my application and got a denial form letter back. Hrrr? Why offer it to me if you're going to turn me down? Anyhow, you can't take these things as a END OF LINE DENIAL they are typically not.

Mean right & left hands don't know what each other are up to. My take is the "Amtrak offering" hand doesn't really coordinate with the "Chase approving" hand beforehand. I figured it was some Mickey Mouse problem, so I called the Chase Reconsideration 800 number. Sure enough once I got on the phone the denial was a simple pigeonhole problem.

Let me back up and explain I had gotten a Chase Sapphire card a few months before. SO.... there was a large credit limit already attached to THAT earlier card, and Chase was not comfortable extending by default ANOTHER oversized X,000 default limit on a second card. The solution is obvious, either reduce the limit on the first card, or the 2nd one to fit their limits. The point is "the system" isn't smart enough to do this, and you have to get a human on the line. Operator was able to reduce the credit limit on the Amtrak offering to $2,000 and then the total credit line was acceptable to Chase.

Bam I have my shiny new Amtrak card to ride the rails with.

Thought this might help others.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Has anyone else received this offer? I'd like to get this offer sent to me, but I suppose it is targeted.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Has anyone else received this offer? I'd like to get this offer sent to me, but I suppose it is targeted.
It sort of is targeted, but I'll send you the link via PM later tonight. I wasnt active in AGR, and never read my "spam" email I use for things like this, so I have no idea if I was ever targeted or not. Someone at Flyertalk sent me a link to the 32,000 points offer page when I started collecting AGR points, I applied, and got 32,000 points. From what I hear, as long as you use a 32,000 points offer page to apply, they've been giving them, targeted or not. Not near my laptop, but I still have that link somewhere, when I get a chance I'll send it to you.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
I too wanted to get a 32,000 point bonus for signing up for an AGR card. However I was always seeing only the standard 12,000 point offer. So I sent AGR an email saying I would get a card if I could get a decent bonus. The email response I received was "Please contact Amtrak Guest Rewards for further assistance at 1-800-307-5000. This number is staffed daily from 5 a.m. to midnight (EST)." When I called, it was an AGR customer service line. I followed the automated prompts to inquire about an AGR credit card and was eventually connected to the AGR signup department. The gal proceeded to ask me how I was referred. I said from an email I received to call this 800 number. She says, well, you you qualify for 32,000 bonus points, yada, yada, yada. This is BEFORE she even knew my name, AGR number, etc. So apparently if you call this number, you get the 32,000 point offer.

I received a denial letter 10 days later saying I had too many inquiries. So I called the reconsideration line. Problem was I already had a Chase Slate card that I have had for 20 years (which I never used) that had a credit line of $23,300. A Continental card for $13,000 and a Chase Sapphire Preferred for $5,500. So they said if I cancelled the unused chase Slate card, I would approved. I really did not want to cancel my oldest credit card, but I really did not have any choice if I wanted newer Chase cards. So I cancelled the Slate card and got my AGR card.

Last edited by alben; Mar 31, 2012 at 11:24 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Paddlenpedal
It sort of is targeted, but I'll send you the link via PM later tonight. I wasnt active in AGR, and never read my "spam" email I use for things like this, so I have no idea if I was ever targeted or not. Someone at Flyertalk sent me a link to the 32,000 points offer page when I started collecting AGR points, I applied, and got 32,000 points. From what I hear, as long as you use a 32,000 points offer page to apply, they've been giving them, targeted or not. Not near my laptop, but I still have that link somewhere, when I get a chance I'll send it to you.
Thank you! I'd definitely appreciate a link to this offer.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
It appears that Chase has a maximum credit line exposure policy in place. Card 2 had the highest CL (although lower than my other lines at the time), cards 3 and 4 have had successively smaller ones. I'd recommend pre-emptively cutting older cards' credit lines before applying for a new card from them.

If you don't already have a Sapphire Preferred card, that's the easiest route to a bucket of AGR points. Keep it for a year, then cancel and apply for an AGR card.

I've gotten the 32,000 point offer via mail, but not email -- double check that you have "Receive Email Offers for the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World MasterCard® from Chase" checked under AGR > My Account > My Profile > Communications Preferences > Email.

Last edited by paytonc; Apr 1, 2012 at 3:10 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA CO US WN Marriott Hilton Holiday Inn Wyndham Hyatt Avis Budget Hertz National
It's right on AGR website.http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/am...t32/?CELL=6VM5
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by pete4abw
It is on a chase page not AGR website
Caveat on page.

This exclusive offer is limited to the member and member number to whom this offer was communicated

Suggest people remove /?CELL=6VM5 as it not needed and may be an identifying number

So it is http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/amtrak/smt32/

When you click on the link in on the page make sure you get a screen shot of the 32000 point offer. You may need it
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:49 am

I got this offer last year. After signing up for the card and meeting all the qualifications, I had to jump through endless hoops and phone calls just to get 16000 points, which I got in stages. Eventually, it became clear that I would never get the second half of the points they promised me so I canceled the card. Just make sure to hold on to all the paperwork or make copies when you apply, as they will do everything in their power to avoid holding up their end of the bargain, just like most of the other airline/hotel credit card offers that are scams.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I had no problem getting the 32,000 points. It took a month or more to show up in my account. But then, Amtrak points generally take 3+ weeks for me anyhow. YMMV.
Old May 5, 2012, 4:33 pm

I saw this offer for 30K points.

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/am...t30/?CELL=636T
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:21 am

New offer?

Is there any update on a new offer for the AGR credit card? I notice that the 32k offer has been pulled from Chase's website.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
I have been sending people to the 30,000 and 32,000 point websites for over six months. Now both links are dead RIP 32000 mile offer
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:13 pm

Also looking for a new Amtrak point offer...! Would like to get one of the Chase credit cards, but looking for a sweetener beyond the standard 12,000 point deal.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: Far too many
Current offer is 12,000 amtrak points

The 32,000 links now say they are expired, and redirect to the 12,000 offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.