Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sleeper rewards direct trains only?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by amamba
So yeah, out of the dates you posted, a connection would have been missed once. That is not 20-30%. I just think we should try to be realistic. Yes, a missed connection would suck. But the SWC-CS connection is generally perceived by most to be a pretty safe connection.

Don't forget that when the train comes in late, you can make the connection with just 15 minutes, unlike on a plane. And amtrak might hold the train for 5-10 minutes, or as is common on the SWC, they will detrain connecting pax early and bus them to meet the CS.
I've failed to make the SWC-CS connection, but as I was only going to San Fran I got bussed to Bakersfield and put on the San Joaquins - think I would rather have had a day in LA!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airtran A+ Elite, SPG Preferred Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold, AGR
Personally I wouldn't mind a day in LA to break the trip up some. Alas Tis not possible with a reward redemption.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Just to follow up, I had no trouble booking the routing I wanted when I called this morning. Nol-chi-lax-sea.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jftino
Just to follow up, I had no trouble booking the routing I wanted when I called this morning. Nol-chi-lax-sea.
That would be a great trip! We were looking at doing something similar, but the cost of airfare at both ends for us would be more than I'm willing to part with. Ended up booking OKC-FTW-SAS-NOL, then NOL-CHI-FTW-OKC. Picked up the tickets this morning, looking forward to it! Hope you have a great trip! ^
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jftino

Was this booked as one award ---- i.e. 4.5 days of continuous Amtrak travel, with just two short scheduled layover stops (2 hours in L.A., 6 hours in Chicago)? If so, it'll be total immersion. Wow!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:23 pm

Yes, it's all one go, since Amtrak generally doesn't allow overnight stopovers on award travel. By the time he's finished, jftino should have the dining car menu pretty much memorized.

My problem is on the third day remembering what my room number is on this train, vs. the previous two.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Yes it was. Then 2 days in Seattle and another 4 going sea - Austin on some odd routing that comes up when you type those locations in. It was so relaxing being on the train last time for us. Hopefully it is again.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by Ispolkom
By the time he's finished, jftino should have the dining car menu pretty much memorized.
The good news is that each train's menus are actually slightly different from each other (and the "specials" may be different as well). In 2002, I did a trip LAX-EMY (long stopover)-PDX-CHI (long stopover)-LAX, and there was only one nationwide menu at that point.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ispolkom
Yes, it's all one go, since Amtrak generally doesn't allow overnight stopovers on award travel. By the time he's finished, jftino should have the dining car menu pretty much memorized.

My problem is on the third day remembering what my room number is on this train, vs. the previous two.
Luckily we have the same room For The whole trip. Also, with the PPC available for dinner on the starlight, that will add some variety to the meals... I hope!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.