Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by jackal
When you make your reservation on Amtrak.com, you are purchasing a reservation, not a ticket.

Your ticket is not issued until you print your ticket out at a Quik-Trak kiosk or from a station agent; thus, you are not technically purchasing your ticket until your ticket is issued.

I'm fairly sure I have canceled NER 14-day APEX discount tickets with no penalty recently. (I book and change and cancel a lot of tickets, though, mostly on the Keystone Corridor, but I am not 100% sure if I've done the same on the NER.)
I booked our tix by phone; the agent took no responsibility for web bookings but stated clearly that as you said, the CC payment I left is refundable even after the day of departure.

One other Q: I have a trip from NY to BOS and wonder if I booked BBY as final dest. and want to stay on for one more stop (to BOS), is it ok? The fare is the same and it is the same train, just won't know til last minute which stop I will need.

Thx
Old Jun 10, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by weezl
I booked our tix by phone; the agent took no responsibility for web bookings but stated clearly that as you said, the CC payment I left is refundable even after the day of departure.
Same thing. When you book a reservation online or via phone, you're just booking a reservation.

FWIW, a bit of an unrelated but interesting tidbit I discovered: Amtrak ticket agents (in person) cannot book non-ticketed reservations. If you talk to an agent in-person, they will actually ticket you right then and there. They (at least the one I tried to do this with) don't have the ability to create a non-ticketed reservation.

One other Q: I have a trip from NY to BOS and wonder if I booked BBY as final dest. and want to stay on for one more stop (to BOS), is it ok? The fare is the same and it is the same train, just won't know til last minute which stop I will need.

Thx
Most conductors will likely let you stay on, but it's best to do the reverse: book to BOS and get off at BBY. A super-strict conductor might not let you stay on past BBY if that's where you're booked. Conversely, no conductor will prevent you from getting off at BBY even if you're booked to BOS.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:38 pm

Same thing. When you book a reservation online or via phone, you're just booking a reservation.

FWIW, a bit of an unrelated but interesting tidbit I discovered: Amtrak ticket agents (in person) cannot book non-ticketed reservations. If you talk to an agent in-person, they will actually ticket you right then and there. They (at least the one I tried to do this with) don't have the ability to create a non-ticketed reservation.

Most conductors will likely let you stay on, but it's best to do the reverse: book to BOS and get off at BBY. A super-strict conductor might not let you stay on past BBY if that's where you're booked. Conversely, no conductor will prevent you from getting off at BBY even if you're booked to BOS.
Understand the principle. I would be surprised if they said no to 1 more stop 5 min away, but why tempt fate....or why not
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:47 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
No conductor would ever even have time to force one to get off at Back Bay simply because their ticket read Back Bay. And since the fare is the same for either BBY or BOS, no conductor will ever care which stop one gets off. Even Route 128 is the same fare.

The last place that a conductor would check on things and force one to pay extra is Providence. Failing to get off there when your ticket reads Providence could cause a problem.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AlanB
No conductor would ever even have time to force one to get off at Back Bay simply because their ticket read Back Bay. And since the fare is the same for either BBY or BOS, no conductor will ever care which stop one gets off. Even Route 128 is the same fare.

The last place that a conductor would check on things and force one to pay extra is Providence. Failing to get off there when your ticket reads Providence could cause a problem.
The point is valid that they wouldn't have time. And in any case, by the time the conductor noticed your ticket was for BBY, the next stop at which he could force you off the train is, of course, BOS. (And no conductor would summon Amtrak police for fare evasion of one stop, especially when it isn't fare evasion, since the fares are the same.)

If you've already booked the ticket, I wouldn't bother changing it. But if you haven't booked it yet, might as well book it to BOS--no reason not to.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:35 pm

The point is valid that they wouldn't have time. And in any case, by the time the conductor noticed your ticket was for BBY, the next stop at which he could force you off the train is, of course, BOS. (And no conductor would summon Amtrak police for fare evasion of one stop, especially when it isn't fare evasion, since the fares are the same.)

If you've already booked the ticket, I wouldn't bother changing it. But if you haven't booked it yet, might as well book it to BOS--no reason not to.
Thanks Jackal, will stick with what we've got.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50% off Companion - Empire Service

Travel: Oct 1-31
Book by: July 31
Blackout: Oct 5

T/C's: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...0&rtTracking=1
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:29 pm

AMTRAK experience with AAA discount

Thanks Jackal, will stick with what we've got.
As everyone pointed out, the tickets were cancellable until we printed them out. No issues on the trip, and conductor did not care that we went one add'l stop 10 min down the way.

Nice, easy trip but boy was PENN station a zoo. What a last-minute scramble with POOR boarding.

In any case, it was good to book very early given that the ticket prices went up closer to departure and they were refundable.

So even if you are just THINKING about a train trip, book the refundable tickets and just set a reminder to cancel by travel date in case you don't use the tickets. No brainer.

Last edited by weezl; Oct 2, 2012 at 7:49 am
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
On Capitol Corridor:
50% off weekends (including buses that are designated for the Capitols, you could ride from Emeryville to Los Angeles for $28)
http://www.amtrak.com/50-off-weekend...corridor-train
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:03 am

Hello I am having a situation here and would love some real good promo codes and discounts if anyone knows of some real good ones!...I am currently in San Antonio, TX and I want to go to Flint, Mi...I NEED YOUR HELP COMMUNITY..thx u.. :-)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Bugs on Amtrak Website using AAA discount

I recently became an AAA member and have been attempting to use the code with scattered success on amtrak.com

I'm mainly buying keystone route tix, and usually 2 weeks out.

The problems I've been having are sometimes when i go to apply the discount, the ticket changes all together (origin/destination change, date change, etc). Othertimes, it prices correctly only to book at full value at the end.

Anyone else having these issues?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:19 pm

Looking for Promo

Traveling from PGH (Pittsburgh, PA) to (SPG) Springfield, MA on 10/25/12 and returning 10/29/12. No luck finding promo codes. Any suggestions?

Route currently:
Thursday, October 25, 2012
42 Pennsylvanian (PGH - PHL)
94 Northeast Regional (PHL - NHV)
494 Shuttle (NHV - SPG)

Monday, October 29, 2012
141 Northeast Regional (SPG - NYP)
43 Pennsylvanian (NYP - PGH)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.