Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Update on the AGR partnership with Continental/United

Update on the AGR partnership with Continental/United

Old Nov 5, 11, 8:50 pm

I presume they'd just add Amtrak to the list of partners -- right now you can select any of the Star Alliance partners, plus some others like Hawaiian or Virign. Just add "Amtrak" and take your AGR number.

Amtrak isn't currently listed on CO's site, though.
Old Nov 5, 11, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by AGR Insider View Post
Through March 2012, members will be eligible to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points on Continental operated flights. And beginning in March, members will be able to earn points on United operated flights.
This is great, but why would Amtrak be interested in implementing this? Just for the revenue?

If it's a good revenue stream (assuming other FFPs' points liability) why no do it with all airlines?
Old Nov 9, 11, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
At the PDX United Club. Concierge had no idea what an Amtrak Select Plus card is when I handed it to her.

She looked in her system to review "accepted cards". Was not in there

I handed her the email and she was very upset that her company did not inform them or at a very minimum put a picture of the card in their "system".

There was nothing for her to say accept apologize profusely on behalf of her company that she was not informed as the email I gave her was very clear and professional.

She asked if she could make a copy of the email to send to her HQ.

Really bad communication United - Amtrak

I'm glad I made a copy
Old Nov 9, 11, 8:05 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Interested to see how this all shakes out, currently Gold on DL, thinking of switching over to UA to earn ARG points. I frankly have no use for FF miles, last thing I want to do on vacation is get on a plane.....but save up for a transcon train trip....that has potential for my interest!
Old Nov 9, 11, 8:57 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
In my monthly e-statement received recently:

Select Plus members will continue to enjoy access to the United Clubs through December 2011. We’ll continue to keep you informed as the partnership develops.
December 2011? Every other official announcement, including the AGR web site linked within the message, says February 2012. Hoping that this "latest" information is just a misprint.
Old Nov 10, 11, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Flight delay at ORD gave me a chance to try this. Denied entry after 20 minutes of waiting at the entrance and skepticism from the United Club people. Showed them email from Amtrak that says "ENJOY THE NEW UNITED CLUB". After escalating to manager they came back "we do not take this card". Pissed beyond belief. The email is clear but they kept saying because they have not been notified it is either a "prank" (that's a quote!) or it is not finalized.

Paging Amtrak Insider.
Old Nov 10, 11, 2:25 pm

I would have bought a day pass and either disputed the charge or looked to Amtrak to reimburse me or both.
Old Nov 10, 11, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer View Post
I would have bought a day pass and either disputed the charge or looked to Amtrak to reimburse me or both.
I thought about that but the agents were so snarky I just wanted out of there. Because I waited so long standing there I would have been in there just 20-30 minutes, assuming they get their act together and my flight isn't in delay hell.

PMed AGR Insider and writing 1kvoice.
Old Nov 10, 11, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EC Elite, UA Silver
Originally Posted by chix View Post
It's official now. I would print a copy of this email if a particular club is not properly informed:
I just tried to gain access to the United Club at SFO and was flat out denied entry. The lounge dragon knew about the Amtrak partnership and insisted that it only apply to former Presidents Club lounges. I mentioned the e-mail and she responded by saying "That was sent out by Amtrak without United's Permission and it was a mistake"
Old Nov 10, 11, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
I had a connection in PHL last weekend, dropped by the United Club and the lounge attendant knew exactly what the Select Plus card looked like - swiped my card my info came up on her screen. She actually told me that I was the first one whose Amtrak card swiped in her system without an issue, I guess they must of gotten the data from the CO Presidents Club database.

I'm guessing it's going to be easier on the east coast, as S+ passengers are more commonplace in PHL, EWR, and DCA than SFO or PHX.
Old Nov 11, 11, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler View Post
Flight delay at ORD gave me a chance to try this. Denied entry after 20 minutes of waiting at the entrance and skepticism from the United Club people. Showed them email from Amtrak that says "ENJOY THE NEW UNITED CLUB". After escalating to manager they came back "we do not take this card". Pissed beyond belief. The email is clear but they kept saying because they have not been notified it is either a "prank" (that's a quote!) or it is not finalized.

Paging Amtrak Insider.
Wow.... The nerve of some people. Did you get the names of the people who were involved?

They need re-training on how to treat customers, especially when they have proof in their hands.

I think both companies are at fault here for poor communication.
Old Nov 14, 11, 8:14 am
Company Representative - Amtrak
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Hi All,

Thank you for making us aware of this issue. We have spoken with our partners at United and they are working to update their systems to remedy the problem and enable our Select Plus members to enter the clubs without issue. It may take some time, but know that they are working on a solution. Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

Best,

Becky Parks
Senior Marketing Officer, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Nov 14, 11, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by chix View Post
Wow.... The nerve of some people. Did you get the names of the people who were involved?

They need re-training on how to treat customers, especially when they have proof in their hands.

I think both companies are at fault here for poor communication.
Unfortunately, the UA RCCs are renowned for issues getting entry to the Club when you're supposed to have access. Since I've also sat near the entrance and listened to the stories some people offer to get entry, I've observed some of the other side, but the condescending manner of some of these folks is always and inexcusably inappropriate.

As far as getting access to a former RCC location, I recommend asking them to call the nearest former CO Club for guidance on the Amtrak card. That is the best way for someone who never saw the card before to find out that it is permitted for access. In Seattle, the United Club (former RCC) were great because they proactively reached out to the other (former CO Prez Club) for instructions on what to do. Note that is also an area that doesn't get a lot of Amtrak travel to begin with (versus the NE Corridor), so they were seriously confused as to why I'd think I'd get access with an S+ card in hand.
Old Nov 15, 11, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
Originally Posted by AGR Insider View Post
Hi All,

Thank you for making us aware of this issue. We have spoken with our partners at United and they are working to update their systems to remedy the problem and enable our Select Plus members to enter the clubs without issue. It may take some time, but know that they are working on a solution. Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

Best,

Becky Parks
Senior Marketing Officer, Amtrak Guest Rewards
"It may take some time..." This is ridiculous. An electronic memo should be circulated to every club, end of problem. The incompetence is amazing.
Old Nov 16, 11, 6:18 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
"It may take some time..." This is ridiculous. An electronic memo should be circulated to every club, end of problem. The incompetence is amazing.
I suspect the incompetence is on United's part, not AGR's.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: