Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Update on the AGR partnership with Continental/United

Update on the AGR partnership with Continental/United

Old Apr 26, 13, 4:34 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Originally Posted by CKinMD View Post
Same here, although i've had a few agents ask for a BP or a photo ID, so I assume it's more about proving identity than enforcing a rule of flying on United that day.
^

If asked for a boarding pass, just give them your non-United boarding pass.
Old Apr 26, 13, 7:33 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Last time they asked me for a boarding pass, I told them I was flying Delta. No issues getting in.
Old Apr 26, 13, 9:14 pm

Thank you very much for your prompt response. That's very helpful!

Originally Posted by AGR Insider View Post
You do not need to hold a United boarding pass to use the United Club, as long as you have your valid, unexpired AGR Select Plus or Select Executive card. The United Club agent cannot look up your AGR membership information by hand in their computer. The card must be present and swiped by the agent to verify your status and grant entry. You may also bring one guest with you.
Old Apr 27, 13, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
I entered the UC twice in SAN yesterday. The earlier time, the agent had no issues with letting me (and, as I mentioned earlier, guests) in. The second time (after shift change, apparently), the agent handed me back my S+ card and said, "Amtrak? We don't partner with them. Are you a member?" I responded back, "Amtrak Select Plus gets me in." We had a couple of back-and-forths and finally she went back to the back office to ask her coworker and came back with a surprised look on her face, clicked "partners" (or something) on her screen, said, "Yup, there it is," and let me in.

If anyone has trouble, tell the agent to click through to the partner listing on their computer and Amtrak is definitely listed there.
Old Apr 27, 13, 4:25 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
You do not need to hold a United boarding pass to use the United Club, as long as you have your valid, unexpired AGR Select Plus or Select Executive card. The United Club agent cannot look up your AGR membership information by hand in their computer. The card must be present and swiped by the agent to verify your status and grant entry. You may also bring one guest with you.
Conversely, do I need an Amtrak boarding pass to access the ClubAcela with a United Club card? (What if I am taking a different train line, such as LIRR or NJ Transit?)
Old Apr 27, 13, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer View Post
Conversely, do I need an Amtrak boarding pass to access the ClubAcela with a United Club card? (What if I am taking a different train line, such as LIRR or NJ Transit?)
AGR Insider can confirm, but I don't think so. The Club Acela agent usually asks for a boarding pass, but it's mostly so they can mark down with train you're in so they can call your train for boarding. I've used the PHL CA with a UC card several times when not taking Amtrak and the agents had no issue with me just saying "I'm taking SEPTA" (although they gave me a look like "what are you wasting your time in here for, then?").
Old Apr 28, 13, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKinMD View Post
Same here, although i've had a few agents ask for a BP or a photo ID, so I assume it's more about proving identity than enforcing a rule of flying on United that day.
An update: I proactively offered my AGR S+ card and driver's license to the UC agent at PHL today and she accepted without requesting my BP. So, you're probably right.
Old Apr 28, 13, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
An update: I proactively offered my AGR S+ card and driver's license to the UC agent at PHL today and she accepted without requesting my BP. So, you're probably right.
United flight activity is not required in order to use the AGR S+/SE card as an entry credential at United Club. AGR S+/SE cards are accepted at all United Club locations worldwide.
Old Apr 28, 13, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
AGR Insider can confirm, but I don't think so. The Club Acela agent usually asks for a boarding pass, but it's mostly so they can mark down with train you're in so they can call your train for boarding. I've used the PHL CA with a UC card several times when not taking Amtrak and the agents had no issue with me just saying "I'm taking SEPTA" (although they gave me a look like "what are you wasting your time in here for, then?").
Amtrak travel activity is not required in order to use the United Club card as an entry credential at ClubAcela. Note that the United Club card entitles the bearer and two guests to ClubAcela entry. The two-guest allowance is unique to ClubAcela entry for United Club members.

United Club cards are only accepted at the ClubAcela-branded lounges (NYP, PHL, WAS, BOS). They are not accepted at other Amtrak lounges, including Metropolitan Lounges or first class waiting rooms in other cities.
Old Apr 28, 13, 9:14 pm

Thanks for the official confirmation, AGR Insider.

I had conflicting experiences at NYP when riding non-Amtrak trains. One time I was let in with just my UC card, but another time I was rejected, with the agent saying that in order to use a UC card, I had to have a same-day Amtrak ticket or a same-day United international ticket in BusinessFirst, in addition to the UC card. I did not think that was correct, because from what I understand, an international BF ticket on UA can get access to the ClubAcela (without guests), without any need for the UC card. So the UC card did not seem to count for anything in her equation. However, she insisted that she had "a memo" behind the counter that specifically said that you need both a UC Card and a same-day UA BusinessFirst Ticket or same-day Amtrak ticket. I was not able to determine whether the memo was real or not, because I could not see behind the desk.
Old Apr 28, 13, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Do you recall how long ago you had that experience at NYP? I recently spent two days there personally training all of the regular lounge agents in the policy. You are correct that a UC card (for bearer + two guests), or a same-day United international ticket in Global First or BusinessFirst (for ticketed pax only) will grant entry. If you are denied entry again when holding a valid UC card, please let me know with a PM.

There is a policy document on our company intranet that governs ClubAcela access, and the agents at the WAS ClubAcela have gone so far as to print a copy and display it on the counter for all to see. It has descriptions and pictures of the various credentials we allow. Even "lifetime" UA RCC or Continental President's Club cards are still permitted, as per United.

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer View Post
Thanks for the official confirmation, AGR Insider.

I had conflicting experiences at NYP when riding non-Amtrak trains. One time I was let in with just my UC card, but another time I was rejected, with the agent saying that in order to use a UC card, I had to have a same-day Amtrak ticket or a same-day United international ticket in BusinessFirst, in addition to the UC card. I did not think that was correct, because from what I understand, an international BF ticket on UA can get access to the ClubAcela (without guests), without any need for the UC card. So the UC card did not seem to count for anything in her equation. However, she insisted that she had "a memo" behind the counter that specifically said that you need both a UC Card and a same-day UA BusinessFirst Ticket or same-day Amtrak ticket. I was not able to determine whether the memo was real or not, because I could not see behind the desk.
Old Apr 28, 13, 10:27 pm

Do you recall how long ago you had that experience at NYP? I recently spent two days there personally training all of the regular lounge agents in the policy. You are correct that a UC card (for bearer + two guests), or a same-day United international ticket in Global First or BusinessFirst (for ticketed pax only) will grant entry. If you are denied entry again when holding a valid UC card, please let me know with a PM.
Thanks! The denial was quite a while ago, 6 to 12 months probably (I remember that it was shortly after I received my UA Club card in the "new" design, replacing my old card). After that, I was embarassed to try it again (until asking FT for the "real" answer), so after that time I have only used the ClubAcela when I had a same-day Amtrak ticket.

I will give it another try next time I am taking LIRR or NJTransit (since I already use it when I am taking Amtrak).
Old Apr 28, 13, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are correct that a UC card (for bearer + two guests), or a same-day United international ticket in Global First or BusinessFirst (for ticketed pax only) will grant entry....Even "lifetime" UA RCC or Continental President's Club cards are still permitted, as per United.
I just wanted to say thanks both for keeping us informed as well as maintaining this partnership with United. I'm sure it's mutually beneficial for both you and United (or else you wouldn't have the partnership), but I personally have found it very useful, not only for reciprocal lounge access but also for the super-convenient codeshare partnership between PHL/ZFV and EWR. My kudos to Amtrak!
Old May 5, 13, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Any updates to transferring miles to UA?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: