Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Update on the AGR partnership with Continental/United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on the AGR partnership with Continental/United

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

My card rarely swipes successfully, even at Amtrak clubs.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Used my Amtrak Select + card at UC last December for the first time at LAX. The receptionist saw my S+ card and said "Amtrak!" and quickly entered my AGR number into the system. Then I was ready to go.

About two weeks later, I went to the UC in DEN and presented my S+ card. One agent said to the other, "try swiping and see what happens". The card was swiped and because my AGR number was already entered into the system, it worked and I had access there as well.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nerd
I think the question is whether flying United will earn miles (points) on Amtrak (it will).
Sorry to re-visit this again-I read it a few ways, one that until March CO flights can still earn AGR points, but I can't find anyplace on the CO FF page to enter an AGR number, and on the AGR website, it only discusses earning AGR points on CO codeshare flights through Newark etc.

I have to go to Houston this month, and DL is more than 5 X more expensive, so I'm going to have to fly on either AA or CO....was hoping some AGR points would soften the pain of not having status on those airlines anymore. But, doesn't look like I'll be able to-Am I missing something, or am I out of luck to earn AGR points on this trip?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
United Club Lounge Access Experiences

SFO International (for a domestic flight leaving from an international gate): Agent said the AGR card isn't valid for entry. I said it is, and she should call the other club. She said it shows 2011. I said yes, that's a stupid decision of Amtrak's not to show the Feb 2012 expiration date. She said OK, you can go in. I said thanks.

LAX: Agent said the card isn't valid, while swiping it anyway. I was getting ready to dispute her when she said the card swiped successfully and I should go in.

Boy, never had these problems at the old Continental Presidents Clubs.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paddlenpedal
Sorry to re-visit this again-I read it a few ways, one that until March CO flights can still earn AGR points, but I can't find anyplace on the CO FF page to enter an AGR number, and on the AGR website, it only discusses earning AGR points on CO codeshare flights through Newark etc.

I have to go to Houston this month, and DL is more than 5 X more expensive, so I'm going to have to fly on either AA or CO....was hoping some AGR points would soften the pain of not having status on those airlines anymore. But, doesn't look like I'll be able to-Am I missing something, or am I out of luck to earn AGR points on this trip?
Re-reading their email, since they say members can still earn points through March, I think they are referring to codeshares, only.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Bummer, thanks. Have to fly coach, and no points. Boo!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
The intermittently-live new UA site has an MP earning page for Amtrak:

Most of the verbiage is updated from CO's and the fare classes modified to reflect the merged CO/UA buckets (though the box does still say CO). Any of this could still change until the site goes into production on united.com next month.

It should be noted that Amtrak is prominent on the MP earning page (versus being buried as an Other partner for CO).
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:00 am

I travel regularly from Metropark to Washington, DC and earn 500 AGR points. Can I earn equivalent MileagePlus miles for this city pair, or do they enforce the New York Penn - Washington, DC requirement?

Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
2012 Select Plus packets are being received as we speak (got mine today). Expiration date is now printed as expected. Let's see if this year's cards swipe more reliably at United Clubs...
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:34 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by abagga
I travel regularly from Metropark to Washington, DC and earn 500 AGR points. Can I earn equivalent MileagePlus miles for this city pair.
No. They specify the city pairs because...those are the city pairs.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
First time as Select+ and First time trying to use it at a former RCC (in PDX).

At the time I had my temp card (just received my packet today!) and I entered the club and presented it.

The nice attendant looked at it and lit up and said "oh! this is the first one I've seen" and then took a copy of it and punched the amtrak numbers into her computer and I was good to go.

A Positive experience.

Originally Posted by Explore
SFO International (for a domestic flight leaving from an international gate): Agent said the AGR card isn't valid for entry. I said it is, and she should call the other club. She said it shows 2011. I said yes, that's a stupid decision of Amtrak's not to show the Feb 2012 expiration date. She said OK, you can go in. I said thanks.

LAX: Agent said the card isn't valid, while swiping it anyway. I was getting ready to dispute her when she said the card swiped successfully and I should go in.

Boy, never had these problems at the old Continental Presidents Clubs.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I had no problem using my select+ card getting into United clubs at EWR and HNL last week, however at HNL they did ask for the 2012 card, told them I didn't receive mine yet but the 2011 card is good thru end of Feb. anyway, she swiped it and I was good to go.

Nice to see that this benefit still works, especially given the fact that priority pass and amex are not allowed in anymore
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
Still concerned about Acela Club access for us

Has there been any resolution to extending our agreement
My United Club card worked with no incident in the WAS Club Acela. Agent swiped it and welcomed me in.

The Club was the most full I had ever seen.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Do other Star Alliance club access cards work for Amtrak clubs?

I have a US Airways Club membership, and my card has a United and a Continental symbol on it, with the Star Alliance logo; the card works in all 3 types of lounges. If United and Continental cards work for ClubAcela, thus will a US Airways work, due to US Airways' alliance?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:47 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Do other Star Alliance club access cards work for Amtrak clubs?

I have a US Airways Club membership, and my card has a United and a Continental symbol on it, with the Star Alliance logo; the card works in all 3 types of lounges. If United and Continental cards work for ClubAcela, thus will a US Airways work, due to US Airways' alliance?
Unfortunately, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.