Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Update on the AGR partnership with Continental/United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on the AGR partnership with Continental/United

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Paddlenpedal
Yeah, that would be a good deal. I just want to earn around 15000 more points for an Amtrak trip I want to take in a year or so. I'll earn some from rental cars, some from a trip or two on a train, some from buying things from sites I would buy from anyway. I'll still probably fly mostly on DL where I have status, but might make a few of my higher milage trips on UA if I can earn 1 for 1 AGR miles. Maybe they'll even status match me on United from DL....that would be a good thing too.....
If you have the miles now, why don't you put them in CO (skip that step if your balance is already in CO not UA), then move them over now before the option goes away? That way you don't lose out on status earning travel. You just need to have amtrak segments so the points don't expire.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GoingAway
If you have the miles now, why don't you put them in CO (skip that step if your balance is already in CO not UA), then move them over now before the option goes away? That way you don't lose out on status earning travel. You just need to have amtrak segments so the points don't expire.
My miles area all American and Delta. Never been a fan of United, and never flown CO, but, if it will earn me a trip on the Coast Starlight witht the family, I'll make a few trips. If I could turn DL miles into AGR miles on a 1-1, I' be all over it.

Earning at Hitlon doesn't hurt either! With only one train a day leaving my town, I'm pretty much limited to earning through partners. Between Hilton (just switched from Holiday Inn to earn points) and Enterprise, I should be riding trains for fun in no time!

Last edited by Paddlenpedal; Dec 8, 2011 at 9:38 pm
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Was just admitted to the SFO Club; although the lounge dragon had to get her manager since she wasn't sure if they took it.

Definitely took a few minutes for them to sort it all out; and they didn't seem happy about it. Two of them quipped about how soon they would be allowing "Greyhound Members" into the club.

Really classy United....
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by roder
Was just admitted to the SFO Club; although the lounge dragon had to get her manager since she wasn't sure if they took it.

Definitely took a few minutes for them to sort it all out; and they didn't seem happy about it. Two of them quipped about how soon they would be allowing "Greyhound Members" into the club.

Really classy United....
That comment i'd report ... Totally inappropriate, i hope you have her name
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I second this. UA is showing a true lack of class in executing this partnership.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Well UA has a lot of problems with their lounge dragons. We're talking PMUA people, not CO. The airline can't be serious about developing a customer-focused culture unless they assign mystery shoppers to document poor performance, and let the bad apples go.

As bad as Amtrak can sometimes be, I think their lounge attendants are fairly professional.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Explore
As bad as Amtrak can sometimes be, I think their lounge attendants are fairly professional.
You haven't spent much time at Penn Station, have you?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by travelmad478
^

or WAS....
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
Continental One Pass Service Center does not answer their phones!

I just sent an email (shown below) to [email protected] as the Continental Service Center is NOT answering their phones! Their standard prerecorded pep talk message just keeps playing over and over. Has anyone else ever have this problem contacting them? If this is how the Continental One Pass Service Center is, good luck ever getting Continental points transferred to Amtrak...

I just tried again and have been on hold for ANOTHER hour...

========================================
Sir/Ms:

Today I tried to call.

You have two phone numbers listed:

1-800-554-5522

1-713-952-1630

I have been on hold on the one number (713) for 2 hours (yes 2 entire HOURS). No one picks up.

I have been on hold on the other number (800) for 1 hour (yes an entire HOUR). No one picks up.

Are your phone lines not working today?

I am calling in to transfer my Continental One Pass miles to the Amtrak rewards program. This can only be done by calling in.

Please give me a call back.

My cell is 320-XXX-XXXX.

Continental One Pass # WSXXXXXX

Regards,
======================================
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Actually in my experience the worst lounge attendants are out in Chicago. After that I'd probably rate DC as the second worst. As for Penn, while the agents aren't known for lots of smiles, I've found them to be pretty good in general.

That said, after a couple of incidents this fall the worst attendant in Chicago seems to have undergone a major transformation and attitude adjustment from what I saw on my last visit to the lounge.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
While standing there for the 5 minutes it took them to figure out whether or not to let me in; I unfortunately did not get their names, although in hindsight I wish I had.

But they weren't the only employees acting poorly that evening; I also witnessed a verbal argument between the bartender and the busgirl; basically the busgirl came up to the bartender and she started yelling "you guy's aren't going to screw me tonight!" and was throwing glasses around from the bus tray.

I honestly want to report them, but I doubt it will do much. I had a really bad experience at the United Club in Sao Paulo (the club is an absolute dump and in total disrepair; including customer electric sockets dangling by the internal power wire; and no hot water) It took United 3 months to write back and I basically got a form letter. Not sure it's worth my time.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:13 pm

The NYP Lounge Agents are tough but fair, I cannot say the same about many of the PMUA agents who almost seem to enjoy denying entry.

I find that the PHL agents on the whole are always nice and do their best to be CS orientated.

UA lounge agents are not called matrons or dragons for their excellent social skills.

Dan
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Originally Posted by travelmad478
^

or WAS....
...or BOS.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by AGR Insider
Update on the AGR partnership with Continental
Through March 2012, members will be eligible to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points on Continental operated flights. And beginning in March, members will be able to earn points on United operated flights.

Becky Parks
Senior Marketing Officer, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I think I need a clarification on this. Can AGR members now earn points on ALL CO (and in March, UA) flights, or is the direct AGR earning opportunity only for flight itineraries that include an Amtrak codeshare segment? Up until now, a 2V segment was required for direct credit to AGR.

The way the above reads, it sounds like I can now earn AGR points for a trip from PHL to IAH, as an example. However, the CO website does not indicate that AGR earning is a option other than for 2V trips to and from EWR, and 2V is not listed in the pull-down for assigning partner membership info during booking.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Hertz President's Circle
It looks like a lot has been posted on earning miles, but are we expecting Amtrak and UA lounge reciprocity to continue into 2012? The Amtrak "Select Plus" information page lists the following, which makes me nervous: "Access to United Clubs through 2/29/12"

For me, Amtrak club access has been a great perk of CO club membership. I'm especially interested as I noticed I'm one Accela round trip away from "Select Plus" status. I normally wouldn't care as the main perk is club access which I get through my CO club membership anyway, but if the relationship is going to end I might try to find a reason to ride the rails by the end of the year. Any thoughts if the club reciprocity is going to continue and they're just working out the details?

Best,
Craig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.