Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FWIW: Checking firearms on AMTRAK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

FWIW: Checking firearms on AMTRAK

Travelled CHI-SAC recently.. and as I was in the US for a series of target shooting competitions I took advantage of the fact that AMTRAK will now accept firearms as checked baggage....

Thought someone might like to hear how the process went...

Our other bags were checked in by the Red Cap... but we had to line up to check the gun case. Fair enough.

It would appear that very few people are checking guns on the trains... as all the staff I dealt with (in arranging the separate "Firearms booking" by phone - and at check in) had to take it slow and check everything twice as it was "all new" to them. Again.. fair enough.

The process was broadly similar to the airline experience.. except that instead of a declaration form for the CASE, they insisted on filling out one for each firearm... so it took a while.... It should be noted that the declaration itself actually refers to the container... so I don't know why they were trained to do the "one each"... The staff remained friendly and helpful throughout.... I OTOH felt guilty at the amount of work I was putting them through!

The trip BTW was excellent... although a bit more menu variation might be nice!

On arrival at SAC we waited for the bags... and found that the gun case was residing in splendid isolation in a secure baggage cart. (A steel box built on to a normal cart) Quite impressed by that.^

I'll happily do this again. Good experience all round.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hey trooper thanks for the report, I was actually quite interested in how this was working out so I'm glad you shared it. How did you fare at your competitions?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:07 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Interesting!!!

Never been on Amtrak but do check firearms all the time when I travel...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:01 pm

Shoot!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 1:42 am
Original Poster

CMK10

Thanks for asking! Had a great trip results wise as well...

Finshed 1st in Category, 2nd Overall at both major matches we attended.
1st outright at the "little" event we finished the trip with...

My travel buddy (we've done about 25 US trips together for competitions) suggested that he had never seen me shoot so well!

As you can imagine, I'm having a good year!!

We usually fly.. of course... and we have that "down pat"... but we do like train travel as well.. so we just had to see how it went...

Already thinking of NYP-DAL (or similar) for next year ^....although the New York end is worrying.... might have to start the trip in BOS or ???

Last edited by trooper; Aug 13, 2011 at 1:43 am Reason: Spelling!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Continental Onepass, United Milage Plus, Citi Thankyou
Congratulations on your success. What are you worried about with regards to New York? Surely the ft'ers who post over at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/ can assuage your fears.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
Wondering if anyone has recent experience with checking a firearm who could give me some guidance to a question.

I have booked a trip on points and am planning to check a firearm. I have the initial trip PNR and have now called to add the checked firearm to my reservation.

I was issued a second PNR for the checked firearm but did not receive an email with the confirmation. I was told during a follow up call that I would not receive an email with the firearm PNR.

Has anyone recently checked a firearm and did/did not receive an email confirmation?

I guess I am somewhat anxious about not having written confirmation.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.