Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corridor Clipper Car

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Corridor Clipper Car

The other day I was at Union Stations and I saw the Corridor Clipper car parked in front of an Acela Express train set.

While I have no idea if it was related to the Corridor Clipper car or not, there was a bunch of security to right if you were walking from the Acela Express train (near the VRE/MARC train area) and I thought that maybe the car carried high value dignitaries (Like VP Biden)?

Does anybody know the official role of the Corridor Clipper car? The windows were blacked out and it seemed that whatever purpose the car served AMTRAK did not want the common citizen to know about it.

Dan
Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:36 pm

The Corridor Clipper is Amtrak's track inspection car. It's full of high tech equipment and video cameras. Attached to the rear of a regular train, it can survey miles of track to check for defects and alignment problems.

Everything is taped, so that experts can slow down the tapes later and look for problems.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:37 pm
Suspended

according to some google searches it is used for inspections

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidfullarton/3554884785/
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

I have also seen another car parked at Union Station from time to time called Beech Grove or something like that.

I was once told that Beech Grove was the President of Amtrak's private car, but that may not be correct and I defer to experts here at FT.

Dan
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dan1431
I have also seen another car parked at Union Station from time to time called Beech Grove or something like that.

I was once told that Beech Grove was the President of Amtrak's private car, but that may not be correct and I defer to experts here at FT.

Dan
Nope, you're correct.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by dan1431
The other day I was at Union Stations and I saw the Corridor Clipper car parked in front of an Acela Express train set.
This happens quite a bit there. It appears that they stage the car there to couple to the rear of a future Regional that will pick it up and take it north on the Corridor for track geometry and/or catenary inspections. Often an Acela or two will use that track before it gets picked up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.