Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:14 am

Hi, I'm trying to use the national 30% off companion fare, the ticket agent said that I need a paper coupon to present at time of departure. How can I get this? I've heard it's in a brochure, anyone know?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
questions

What was the code?
Where are you picking up tickets?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:55 pm

I'm trying to use
H863 – Save 30% on a companion ticket.

Or

H860 – Buy one, get one 40% off.

I'll be picking tickets up in Saint Louis, Mo. Is it true that they usually don't ask for your coupons?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:02 pm

order books

Code H863 can be found in an Amtrak publication.
If you go to the following link
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267371771

order the top three books it is definitely in one of the I just cannot remember which one.
If your itinerary is not complicated you can use the QUIKTRAK machine. It will not ask you for the coupon
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:19 pm

The H863 coupon is from the Amtrak America brochure.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:02 pm

YES!! You're the bomb!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:45 pm

H863 not working online?

When I try to use H863 promotion code Amtrak booking system returns following message:

Problem with Promotional Fare: The promotional fare you requested cannot be booked online, so we have provided a non-promotional fare.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boiling Pit
When I try to use H863 promotion code Amtrak booking system returns following message:

Problem with Promotional Fare: The promotional fare you requested cannot be booked online, so we have provided a non-promotional fare.
H863 must be used on the phone with an agent. Theoretically they will ask you to present a paper coupon when you pick-up your tickets.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:02 pm

Just talked to them over the phone. They said this coupon is valid for travels starting January 1st, 2012 so I can't use it for my November trip.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:49 pm

As I do not have a copy of the coupon from the book Amtrak America that you can order here; http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267371771 I cannot guide you but the coupon was useable earlier this year. Could you be trying to use it around thanksgiving? My guess it is blacked out.
But order the free book and read the T&C's
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:40 am

nice rundown of current discounts

Frommers has posted a compendium of current Amtrak discounts which may help someone
http://www.frommers.com/articles/750...ntent=My+Yahoo
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boiling Pit
Just talked to them over the phone. They said this coupon is valid for travels starting January 1st, 2012 so I can't use it for my November trip.
That's correct. Book by 12/15/11 for travel 1/3/12 through 4/30/12.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:09 am

Enjoy the Empire State and Pay Less

Book your tickets now through November 30, 2011 for travel on the Empire Service between New York City and Albany March 3 - April 30, 2012.

Terms and Conditions

* Valid for 30% off the regular (full) adult rail fare.
* Valid for sale November 1 – 30, 2011.
* Valid for travel March 1 – April 30, 2012.
* Up to 2 children ages 2-15 may accompany each adult at half fare.
* Seating is limited; seats may not be available on all trains at all times.
* Valid for travel on the Empire Service between New York, NY and Albany, NY only (including all intermediate cities).
* Valid for coach seats only.
* Fares are non-refundable once ticketed; exchanges are permitted within ticket validity period.
* Not combinable with any other discount offer.
* In addition to the discount restrictions, this offer is also subject to any restrictions, blackouts and refund rules that apply to the type of fare purchased.
* Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted.
* Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.
* Other restrictions may apply.

FWIW You can only see a little of the Empire State with this offer I guess the rest of New York is not part of the Empire and from the ad apparently has no culture. Ad copy must have been written by a NYC ad Agency

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...0&rtTracking=1
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darben
FWIW You can only see a little of the Empire State with this offer I guess the rest of New York is not part of the Empire and from the ad apparently has no culture. Ad copy must have been written by a NYC ad Agency
Yeah, because it has nothing to do with supply and demand - the fact that there are 12 trains/day to ALB and only 4 to western NY, or the fact that fares on those 4 are usually significantly higher.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
Yeah, because it has nothing to do with supply and demand - the fact that there are 12 trains/day to ALB and only 4 to western NY, or the fact that fares on those 4 are usually significantly higher.
I know the reason but their title is; Enjoy the Empire State and Pay Less. It should have been enjoy upstate (downstate to us northern NY'ers) or enjoy Albany not the Empire State,. Just saying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.