Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Redemption question: to redeposit or not to redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption question: to redeposit or not to redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by darben
odds are that " if I book a paid train ticket online and then have someone pickup the ticket for me at a ticket machine will that reset the 3 year expiry date ? "
If it is a major city that person could get on the train take a short trip and give the conductor the ticket in your name no one will ever be the wiser
Unless they require a picture ID....which has happened.....
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by thebobmc
I am in a similar situation to essxjay's mother. I have some AGR points that will expire at the end of September. And since I don't live anywhere near an Amtrak route taking a paid trip is not a viable option.
Sign up for the AGR credit card and your points will never expire, not to mention that you'll be adding to your points each time you use the card.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:45 pm

AlanB, thanks for the suggestion.

I had a look at that. It appears to be a decent product, particularly with no annual fee.

But as a resident of Canada, with no SSN and no US credit history, I don't think I qualify for the Chase AGR Mastercard.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by thebobmc
Thanks for the reply RogerD408.

I thought about making a purchase through the shopping portal, but it seemed that those points would NOT reset the 3 year expiry ? Have I read that incorrectly ?

And speaking of the shopping portal, what is the normal time for points earned through the portal to post to the AGR account ? I am thinking of something like the Entertainment Book so it won't cost me a fortune in shipping to Canada.
As I understand ANY point activity earned or redeemed will reset the clock. That's how just about every other loyalty program works. Personally, I have not used any of the shopping portals so I can't speak to how fast the points post.

Originally Posted by darben
odds are that " if I book a paid train ticket online and then have someone pickup the ticket for me at a ticket machine will that reset the 3 year expiry date ? "
If it is a major city that person could get on the train take a short trip and give the conductor the ticket in your name no one will ever be the wiser
Yes, "odds are", however, with my luck, that would be the trip the conductor chooses to check IDs.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
As I understand ANY point activity earned or redeemed will reset the clock.
That's not correct.

https://amtrakguestrewards.com/info/terms
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nerd
You beat me to it... I was just checking another issue on the Amtrak site and looked at the link about expiring points. A BIS (butt in seat) trip within 36 months is the rule for Amtrak.

For those in Canada, a "short hop" doesn't sound like an option. If you have a trip to the US before your 36 months are up, then plan taking a train between two close stations and either have someone pick you up or hop back and earn 100 miles each way.

Note to AGR: Catch up with the other programs and allow any activity to keep an account active. Customer-friendly programs get more business.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Note to AGR: Catch up with the other programs and allow any activity to keep an account active. Customer-friendly programs get more business.
First of all, Amtrak gives you 36 months before the points expire. Most airlines give you 18.

Second, why would design a loyalty program to accommodate those who rarely use your product?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.