Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

AGR Is Back - with a promo (double points & 10k points for 10 trips)!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club

The website is back and they enticing us with a promo ...

Here are the details from the new website ...
10 trips = 10,000 bonus points. Plus, double points along the way. Take Ten-the celebration starts on Friday, October 1, 2010. It's the ten-year anniversary of Amtrak Guest Rewards, and we're celebrating our members with more ways to better serve you, including an improved program, extended service center hours, a better online experience, mobile site, and the new Take Ten promotion. Earn with Take Ten from 10/1/10 through 12/14/10 - 10,000 bonus points when you Take Ten trips - Double points on all Amtrak® travel - Plus, the points you already earn for Amtrak travel
I was considering switching to the shuttle for my DC-NYC to regain status for next year, but am going to stick to the acela! The only thing to remember is that there's a limit of one 10k award per member.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Does a "trip" constitute a one way segment? The T & C's do not get that specific like they usually do.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I'm pretty sure a trip is just a one way trip. Aren't all Amtrak promo's like that?

The new website is great except it does not show my rail points yet and says I'm 5000 points away from Select, when 2 days ago I was 150 points away from Select. Hope they are just still working that stuff out.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:30 am

The T&C say a trip is a one way segment with a value of $40 or more, and you can have no more than two trips in one day.

I am unable to view my account information - it shows my points in a box, but nothing if I click view account. And they dropped the rail miles information from the home screen?

Anyway, looks much better, the new promo is good, but disappointed they did not add another elite tier or new elite benefits when they rolled this out.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Wow, 10,000 points for 10 one-way trips sounds like a smoking deal to me. I am pretty impressed - ^^

I have been saving up points to give my parents a trip for their 30th anniversary next year (as my mother is afraid of planes and thus doesn't really fly anywhere, and my father has always wanted to take a cross-country train trip), and this will be a great boost!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH/Bonvoy Gold, AA, WN CP
Originally Posted by drewdawg199
The new website is great except it does not show my rail points yet and says I'm 5000 points away from Select, when 2 days ago I was 150 points away from Select. Hope they are just still working that stuff out.
My rail point balance was also reduced by like 500 points. Don't know what that's all about. The ticket details in Account Activity (price/origin/dest/ticket#) is also all missing -- hope they're aware of that bug to fix
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by kaottic97
My rail point balance was also reduced by like 500 points. Don't know what that's all about. The ticket details in Account Activity (price/origin/dest/ticket#) is also all missing -- hope they're aware of that bug to fix
My point balance is also incorrect. Just sent them a message.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
The T&C say a trip is a one way segment with a value of $40 or more.
Well, that's a bummer, since my most common trip is ALX-RGH. . .for $38. I guess I could pay the extra $8 to start from WAS, but I doubt I'd manage ten trips anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:19 pm

I do not like the way they show the transactions. The city pairs and date of travel are not shown. I travel a lot on Amtrak and do track all transactions because often there are missing transactions.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Besides all the other problems noted with the new site, I've been "demoted" to Select (at least according to the page theme).

Also notable, the Amtrak Travel section of the Redeem page codifies a couple recent redemption policy changes that have been discussed here (bolding mine):

Reward travel is determined by the number of zones you travel across.
If your [Special Route] trip involves connecting to an additional "Special Route" or other Amtrak route, additional points may be required for the reward.
Finally, the zone map still depicts the route map from a decade ago.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ambyr
Well, that's a bummer, since my most common trip is ALX-RGH. . .for $38. I guess I could pay the extra $8 to start from WAS, but I doubt I'd manage ten trips anyway.
You could go business class to push a ~$25-39 coach ticket over the threshold.

A few years ago, I upgraded one ticket to biz to meet a spend threshold for a buy 2 RT, get 1 RT free promo on the NEC. Unfortunately, AGR's computers weren't set up to recognize the accommodation charge as a part of the ticket price, and it took numerous calls to AGR to claim my free round-trip reward. My understanding is that this issue is now resolved.

(Quick, can someone check the T&C's to ensure that upgrade charges aren't excluded?) Never mind, I checked. It's $40 minimum spend, period. No mention of upgrade charge exclusions. So a biz upgrade should do the trick.

Last edited by gatelouse; Oct 1, 2010 at 9:05 pm Reason: Checked T&Cs myself
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Upgrade charges have never been excluded. In fact, that's why the program is based upon dollars and not miles. If it were based upon miles, someone riding a Regional would get the same amount of points as someone riding Acela. Someone in coach would get the same amount of points as someone who purchased a $1,000 sleeper.

Exclude upgrade charges and they may as well go to a miles based system.

I can't say exactly what happened in your case, unless you did the upgrade on board, but the computers have always been set to include points for the upgrade charges.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:03 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by AlanB
Upgrade charges have never been excluded. In fact, that's why the program is based upon dollars and not miles. If it were based upon miles, someone riding a Regional would get the same amount of points as someone riding Acela. Someone in coach would get the same amount of points as someone who purchased a $1,000 sleeper.

Exclude upgrade charges and they may as well go to a miles based system.

I can't say exactly what happened in your case, unless you did the upgrade on board, but the computers have always been set to include points for the upgrade charges.
I believe this occurred during the first promotion that had a minimum-spend requirement. I booked business class over the Internet, and the ticket price and points on the AGR activity record reflected the total price, as it always does. But...the trip wasn't recognized by the promotion. (That is, it didn't show up as a qualifying trip under "My Promotions".) I called AGR, who claimed that the minimum spend for the promo was based on the rail fare alone, excluding upgrade charges. I protested--where in the T&Cs was this written?--and the issue was escalated and resolved in my favor.

Took a couple of weeks to get my NEC "virtual vouchers" (remember those?). I suspect that they reprogrammed the system during that time.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Clarification

As the promotion wording seemed a bit ambiguous to me, this one is actually registration for two discrete sub-promos at once: segments of $40+ are tracked for the 10K bonus in "Part A", and segments of any amount are tracked for doubling in "Part B".
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
I'm already done 6 of my 10! I guess I was thinking that a "trip" was a roundtrip...but whatever, happy I'm getting the points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.