Wiki Posts
Search

adirondack scenic trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

adirondack scenic trip

Hi

i want to take my daughter with me on a scenic trip on the adirondack.. i want to maybe leave on the monday train and return on the tuesday train.
any suggestions on how far north to go to enjoy scenary. i will need a hotel for one night and maybe a rental car. i dont want to go to montreal, but i dont know how far north to go.. any suggestions.. thanks in advance
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
re trip

The Adirondack scenic railroad is my suggestion

http://adirondackrr.com/adkrr_uticaschedule.php
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:58 pm

Search Amtrak.com news releases for the announcement regarding the addition of the Great Dome car to the Adirondack during leaf peeping season. Usually added on at Albany for the ride north to Montreal. It operates in specific directions on specific days of the week. It's fun to watch the car added at Albany, and better to ride in it north to an upstate NY destination. Requires some planning, but that sounds like the phase you're in anyhow. Sitting in the dome does not require a special fare. All coach passengers are invited on a first come first sit basis.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: Peon in all
The Great Dome operates in September and October. It runs from Albany northbound on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. It operates from Montreal to Albany on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday.

My recommendation - if you don't want to go to Montreal - is to ride it to Plattsburgh. There is a Best Western that will pick you up at the station. And during the portion that you are on the train, you go right along Lake Champlain! ^
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:04 pm

I second the dome car recommendation to Plattsburgh! A bit more detail from the Amtrak press release:

The refurbished vintage car dates back to 1955 and has a dome section that runs the full length of the car, a rare feature, even when dome cars were more numerous on the nation’s railroads.

The car will operate northbound from Albany to Montreal on Thursdays, Saturdays and Mondays. It returns south from Montreal on Fridays, Sundays, and Tuesdays. No dome car trips are made on Wednesdays. All passengers traveling on the Albany-Montreal segment of the route are welcome to enter the dome car to enjoy the view. Seats in the dome car are not reserved and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Passengers can also take advantage of the I Love NY 20% discount off the regular (full) adult rail fare. The offer is valid for sale through May 28, 2011. Advance reservations are required. In addition, up to 2 children ages 2-15 may accompany each adult at half the discounted rail fare. Please refer to discount code V557 when making reservations online at Amtrak.com or by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL.
For fans of the dome car, Amtrak also announced this week that they'd use it on two Cardinal round-trips at the beginning of November. Details in the press release at Amtrak.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.