Wiki Posts
Search

Is it cheaper to upgrade day of trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Is it cheaper to upgrade day of trip

I noticed when booking, it talks about upgrading day of/on board space available. Do these tend to be cheaper the day of, or is it the same price if I upgraded at time of ticketing?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It depends on the price at ticketing. My experience is with the long distance trains, and assuming your AZ base that is what you care about. Onboard upgrades are done at the low bucket price, when they are done. Some conductors find the extra revenue to be an annoyance and will not process the upgrade. If you can get the room before boarding at the same or similar price I would encourage you to do that.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: Amtrak AGR
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
I noticed when booking, it talks about upgrading day of/on board space available. Do these tend to be cheaper the day of, or is it the same price if I upgraded at time of ticketing?
As stated, on board upgrades are at the lowest bucket price so if the rooms are selling at a low bucket price you may as well buy from the ticket agent, but if the bucket is high try to buy on board. I appears to me that after the conductor takes your ticket you should go to the Lounge and wait for the Conductor to arrive to do his paperwork. I think such an "ambush" will work better than expecting him to get back to you.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: Peon in all
If the price before you board - even at the station - is higher than the low bucket price, the agent MUST charge you that higher fare! However, once you place 1 foot on the train, that same room is available at the low bucket fare!

So you may want to wait until an onboard upgrade!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.