Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Did Amtrak NEC fares go up very recently?

Did Amtrak NEC fares go up very recently?

Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
Unhappy Did Amtrak NEC fares go up very recently?

I was checking the fare for a monthly on NEC and it seems to have gone up ~3% or so for next month compared to this month. Did the fares just go up? I did not see anything on Amtrak's website?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fares fluctuate? Who knew!!

Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Fares fluctuate? Who knew!!

Yeah the individual ticket fares may fluctuate...but the monthly fares don't change every month

And I'm even sure the individual fares seem higher than they were a couple of days back (not just higher buckets).

Oh well...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Probably because of the recent snowstorms since this past weekend till today. I was on the NEC from Metropark to Providence on Monday and it was very crowded. I never saw anything like it before and many people had suitcases with the baggage stickers you get at airports so I figured they were people who were maybe reconnecting at EWR, LGA, or JFK since PHL, BWI, etc were hit hard with snow. Today will probably make tickets go up more since they know more people would be taking the trains tomorrow and the days after.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:11 pm

I Concur

Travel frequently between Boston and Providence and cheapest fare use to be $12.00.

Know it is $13.00.

I don't mind paying higher fares.

AMTRAK is notorious for raising fares and not informing it's riders.

They always had, have, and will have amnesia.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
yes, they did. BOS-WAS was $87, and now it starts at $90
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:53 am

From what I heard, new fares went into effect system-wide Feb. 9; increases were between 2-4% or so...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:31 am
Original Poster

So I checked with one of the conductors on the NEC and yes the fares did go up by 3% starting Feb 9. Pretty sneaky on part of Amtrak for not giving us monthly riders a heads up!

As always we are considered the scum compared to daily ticket riders even though I spend over $1300 on a monthly and several times since Dec trains have been cancelled due to weather or mechanical issues
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by ipoinvestor
AMTRAK is notorious for raising fares and not informing it's riders.

They always had, have, and will have amnesia.
I can't remember the last time I've seen an ad in the paper or on TV that said "Shop Rite will raise it's price of ice cream on Wednesday from $3.50 to $3.59" or "Jim's Mobil will raise their price of gas from $2.799 to 2.809 at 3:48 PM on Friday". However, if I go there, I see a change.

I guess they have amnesia too!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the_traveler
I can't remember the last time I've seen an ad in the paper or on TV that said "Shop Rite will raise it's price of ice cream on Wednesday from $3.50 to $3.59" or "Jim's Mobil will raise their price of gas from $2.799 to 2.809 at 3:48 PM on Friday". However, if I go there, I see a change.
Nor do airlines.

However, public transit systems do generally provide advanced updates on fare increases. For some commuting riders with passes, Amtrak is more like that than like an airline. I think that is where the frustration comes from. If I paid Amtrak $1,000/month for my commute, I'd want to know about increases in advance, too.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
If I paid Amtrak $1,000/month for my commute, I'd want to know about increases in advance, too.
Would you do something different were you to know about increases in advance? Like remember to put aside an additional $30?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerd
Would you do something different were you to know about increases in advance? Like remember to put aside an additional $30?
If I could pre-purchase, I might do so.
I might also adjust my pre-tax payroll deduction for TransitChecks or whatever.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:36 pm

If you book through SLE, your Acela price may have dropped!

If you buy a 10 ride or Monthly Shore Line East ticket between New London and New Haven, it is possible that you may enjoy the cheapest per ride Acela Express fare in the system.

10 Ride and Monthly ticket holders can use their ticket on Amtrak #2151 between those two points. A ten ride ticket @ $74 comes out to only $7.40/ride!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.