Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:43 pm

V611 25% off Surfliner and San Joaquins

Hadn't seen this one here yet.
Here's the text of the email.

This e-mail was sent on behalf of the California Dept. of Transportation. To unsubscribe, click here
If this message is not displaying properly, click here to launch your browser.

At 25% off, it’s travel made simply affordable. From now until March 31, 2010, when you travel aboard the Pacific Surfliner and San Joaquin trains, you’ll enjoy all the amenities of Amtrak California for an additional 25% off our already low fares. Travel to San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Yosemite, Fresno, Los Angeles, Sacramento or any of our other convenient destinations and receive 25% off, just for traveling. It’s that easy. To book your next trip, visit Amtrak.com, remember to reference discount code V611 to receive the 25% discount. This is an exclusive internet only special offer, 3 days advance reservations required. Blackouts apply on the following dates: February 12, 2010 and February 15, 2010. Offer not combinable
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:46 pm

Southwest chief

Does anyone know of any promo's for the Southwest Chief? I want to travel in late apr,
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:41 am

Nothing at the moment, other than the usual AAA/Senior/Student/Military/etc. discounts.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by kaottic97
Here's a new promo that was on Facebook:

Amtrak: Every day, our riders fall in love—with the views and the experience. To show our fans some love, we’re giving away bonus points now through 2/15. Join Amtrak Guest Rewards and travel in 90 days and you’ll get 750 bonus points. To join, visit http://tinyurl.com/fbenroll. If you’re already a member, we’re giving you 100... bonus points, too. Claim your points at http://tinyurl.com/fbbonus. Isn’t love sweet?
Hard to tell from this whether existing members get the points regardless of whether they travel...? You could read it both ways. May as well sign up, though.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Hard to tell from this whether existing members get the points regardless of whether they travel...? You could read it both ways. May as well sign up, though.
Appears they give you the points just for signing up. Here's the email I got:

Congratulations, you are registered for the Amtrak Facebook Fan offer. 100 bonus points will be posted to your account by February 22, 2010.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Originally Posted by Freckles68
Appears they give you the points just for signing up. Here's the email I got:

Congratulations, you are registered for the Amtrak Facebook Fan offer. 100 bonus points will be posted to your account by February 22, 2010.
Just got the same 100 points email message. Cool!

Also got an email from Amtrak/Chase for their MasterCard and signed up for it. 18,000 points will get me from WND or WNL to WAS on the NE Regional I think 3 times (3,000 points times six) Fine print says Chase will give me 8,000 and Amtrak 10,000 points...assuming I qualify for their card (likely). Interesting that it's 2,000 points sweeter than the a similar offer they sent me just before Thanksgiving (would have given 8,000 points each from Chase and Amtrak). Like that it has no annual fee(not the typical 1 year fee-waiver you often see on cards from airlines), it's from a respectable bank, and hopefully has decent benefits (car rental insurance, extended warrantee, etc.).
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetKen
J
Also got an email from Amtrak/Chase for their MasterCard and signed up for it. 18,000 points will get me from WND or WNL to WAS on the NE Regional I think 3 times (3,000 points times six) :
Could you post the link to this offer?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Could you post the link to this offer?
Anything other than the 5,000 and 6,000 bonus point offers are targeted. You will be able to apply with Chase using the targeted links (actually, if you go to the AGR homepage and look at the Mastercard link, it's just a change of the 5k in the URL to 8k, 16k, etc.), but the bonus points will not be posted unless you received the offer direct from AGR.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johncm
Anything other than the 5,000 and 6,000 bonus point offers are targeted. You will be able to apply with Chase using the targeted links (actually, if you go to the AGR homepage and look at the Mastercard link, it's just a change of the 5k in the URL to 8k, 16k, etc.), but the bonus points will not be posted unless you received the offer direct from AGR.
Interestingly, I have a link with a 16K promo that I received via e-mail for the account of a family member I manage that now yields an 18K bonus when followed.

For anyone interested:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...ID=&PROMO=DF01
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
The 18K link I got goes to the identical page. Had to click on a continue session button every few minutes while filling out the app because I was digging for documentation. For people that got this offer, go for it, it sounds like a great deal!

I'm guessing it's a targeted offer because it's for their World Mastercards which likely have income/credit qualification/minimum spend level requirements. Would guess they do targeted bonus offers for other credit cards though (Platinum or whatever). Anyone get offers for other card levels that can confirm that?

Also wonder if they do credit card offers in some train stations? Have seen this in big airports(Barclays and BankAmerica for US cards). Sometimes the sales reps offer extra bonuses and/or some perk like a local sports team souvenir or some toy. Might be a way for someone to get an Amtrak Mastercard with extra bonuses even if they didn't get a targeted offer.

Actually I save 2 ways. Get 3 free trips to DC, and I save several hundred dollars over flying US from BDL to DCA in peak season, plus I go from a whistle stop so there's free parking and no luggage fees. And I can use my MacBook with a wireless card anytime during the trip (some planes now have GoGo wireless, but anything wireless if fine on Amtrak...other than of course talking on a cell in the Quiet Car).
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Posts moved...

I have moved the posts discussing Buy 3, Get 1 Free to a separate thread in the AGR forum. Please continue that discussion there. Thanks!

ByeByeDelta
AGR Moderator
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:53 pm

DC to NY in February

Anyone know of a code that will work for this route? Seems like AAA is the best I can do.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:05 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Welcome to FlyerTalk, stauff!

Right now there is a 25% discount on 14-day advance purchases on the Northeast Regional (which includes DC and New York). Click here for more info, and note the blackout dates at the bottom of the page: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten.../1237405732514

This deal would be better than the AAA discount if you can make it work.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:07 pm

Lowest price I can get between Seattle and Los Angeles, CA is $386 with the sleeper for two passengers. I used AAA and it's the lowest bucket price. Any discount code I can add to make it a sweeter deal yet? It's the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Los Angeles.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by inspiration100
Lowest price I can get between Seattle and Los Angeles, CA is $386 with the sleeper for two passengers. I used AAA and it's the lowest bucket price. Any discount code I can add to make it a sweeter deal yet? It's the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Los Angeles.
If you haven't already done so, book that now!

You have a low bucket sleeper and any delay could see the price of the sleeper go up. There are 5 price levels for the sleepers, with the highest being $460 just for the sleeper. You've got the lowest at $210.

While there is always the chance that a slightly better discount might come along for the railfare, it will no apply to the sleeper. Last time Amtrak offered a discount on sleepers was probably 5 years or more ago.

So waiting to get 15% or maybe even 25% off the $98 railfare for each of you could be wiped out by the sleeper price jumping up. Besides, if you don't pick your tickets up right away or have them mailed to you, you can always book a better deal if it comes along, then cancel this reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.