Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help with Select Plus Companion Voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium

To all of the Amtrak experts out there:

I'm trying to use one of my Select Plus companion vouchers to travel from Stamford to Boston on the day after Thanksgiving (which is not blacked out).

The fare is $41 online, so I expected it to be $41 for two people. However, when I called to make the reservation I was told that the fare would be $54 for two people. I told the agent that I saw $41 online, and she said that she saw it, too, but that when she went to use the companion voucher the price jumped to $54. I then called back the next day and got the same response.

I used one of these vouchers earlier this year and got the exact price that was available online. Any idea what's going on here? The extra $13 isn't the end of the world, but I'm puzzled as to why I can't get the $41 price.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's currently a 25% off sale going on in the NEC. It is reflected in the online prices you see (no code required). http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten.../1237405732514
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
You cannot use any coupons with the sale prices ex. it won't let you have the 10% AAA discount on the sale price. It reprices based on the normal ticket price and then takes the discount.

In your case when you use the coupon it uses the normal price of $54 for 2 tickets instead of using the 25% off $41 sale price!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Can anyone comment if the current 25% off sale is also nonrefundable? Does the new site design clarify whether the fare is refundable or not? If not, that's still a major disappointment, and so booking the slightly-higher-but-refundable fare may not be a bad move if you're at all unsure about your trip plans.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
Can anyone comment if the current 25% off sale is also nonrefundable? Does the new site design clarify whether the fare is refundable or not? If not, that's still a major disappointment, and so booking the slightly-higher-but-refundable fare may not be a bad move if you're at all unsure about your trip plans.
Yes, it's non-refundable (but with Amtrak, non-refundable fares can be applied in full to exchanges with no penalty). The new website is a little better at making the terms clear than was the old one, as after you add the ticket to your cart you can view the specific terms and conditions, such as these:

Terms & Conditions
* 14 day advanced purchase required.
* Not combinable with any membership or promotional discounts.
* Changes permitted but constitute new travel and require the same advance purchase requirement.
* Non-refundable. Exchanges permitted for other rail fare purchases.
* Non-upgradeable. Fare is valid for class of service listed only.
* Seating is limited; seats may not be available on all trains at all times.
* Subject to any restrictions and blackout rules that apply to the type of fare purchased.
* Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.
* Refund restrictions may apply.
* Other restrictions may apply.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Yes, it's non-refundable (but with Amtrak, non-refundable fares can be applied in full to exchanges with no penalty). The new website is a little better at making the terms clear than was the old one, as after you add the ticket to your cart you can view the specific terms and conditions, such as these:
Ah, glad to hear!

I would have checked, but I'm on an insanely slow Internet connection and using IE6 (no tabs--it makes it painful to surf FT!).

A nice, big, bold, red blurb saying, "Warning: this fare is NONREFUNDABLE" would be nice, but I guess we can settle for the T&C display on the last page.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A nice, big, bold, red blurb saying, "Warning: this fare is NONREFUNDABLE" would be nice, but I guess we can settle for the T&C display on the last page.
You will only see non-refundable if you actually click on the T&C link, however, so, while it's better, it's still deficient.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:14 pm

Note even the non-refundable fares on Amtrak are refundable as long as you don't get a ticket printed.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrChu
Note even the non-refundable fares on Amtrak are refundable as long as you don't get a ticket printed.
Never tried it, but that's contrary to the experiences I've read. You sure?!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:56 am

Smile

Never tried it, but that's contrary to the experiences I've read. You sure?!
I travel on the NEC almost everyday. Since they have had the 25% promotion I have been buying those tickets. If I miss a train or if my plans change they are happy to refund my (non-refundable ticket) back to my credit card as long as I have not printed it. Even in those instances where I have printed the ticket they let me apply the full ticket value to a new ticket.

Only if you have printed a ticket, cancel it and have no intention of buying another one that they become non-refundable.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Good to know.

Originally Posted by MrChu
Even in those instances where I have printed the ticket they let me apply the full ticket value to a new ticket.
That's just normal Amtrak policy on all tickets. I wouldn't expect it to be different for any other kind of ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.