Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with AMEX Dispute Resolution

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Steve M
I suspect that they did read the documents. I have to agree with what others have already said: your situation does not warrant a chargeback. The product was not defective - it was simply unsuitable for your intended use through no fault of the merchant (it sounds like an allergy of some kind). That's not the merchant's problem, nor Amex's.
Please go back and read my posts; I'm not the OP. And my dispute was eventually settled in my favour. Because, finally, I got someone to read the documents they sent me
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ffsim
Please go back and read my posts; I'm not the OP. And my dispute was eventually settled in my favour. Because, finally, I got someone to read the documents they sent me
My mistake on the bad quote! My comments toward the OP still stand.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
Originally Posted by sinizter
If you bought a non-refundable Groupon package that then was found to be unsuitable, there is no reason why anyone, merchant or credit card, should be forced to offer a refund to you.
Originally Posted by Tibs
Well there goes that idea....Actually in the exclusions I can see them denying for a couple of reasons. Groupon is like a gift certificate type company. Its health related. Its often used like a coupon when you buy them, so they could say its a negotiable instrument too.
No, it's not the groupon package that I am disputing. I can let the groupon go waste. I purchased a set of full-priced facials that is the same as the ones I have on groupon. I have yet to even start the full-priced ones while I realized my skin is not suitable for the facials. So I am asking for a refund of the full-priced facials that I have yet to use.

Last edited by nanirina; Jan 1, 2015 at 5:11 am
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Often1
This one sounds as though the merchant made the service available and the product was as advertised. It simply does not suit the OP, but that is not the merchant's doing. I would not expect Amex to decide this in OP's favor other than purely as a matter of goodwill.

Originally Posted by Steve M
I have to agree with what others have already said: your situation does not warrant a chargeback. The product was not defective - it was simply unsuitable for your intended use through no fault of the merchant (it sounds like an allergy of some kind). That's not the merchant's problem, nor Amex's.
The merchant advertised the facial as one that can moisturize skin/improve skin conditions blah blah blah. So when it does not improve but makes my skin much worse that it needs medication to heel, then I believe there is a problem. I am not asking the merchant to refund me for what I have used, I am asking the merchant for the future sessions that I haven't used but is clearly unusable for me.

Last edited by nanirina; Jan 1, 2015 at 5:13 am
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
I have said this before on other threads. Amex will go above and beyond what they are required if you have a good relationship even if you have a green card. This is where you member since, on time payments, Amex usage come into play
I disagree with this. I find AMEX pretty good with their insurance benefits, but when it comes to dispute, my citi mastercard does a much better job. I have decent spend on my amex card and have been with amex for almost 10 years and I have never made my payment late.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by ffsim
That had always been my experience with them as well as my exception up to and until the dispute in question. I was shocked that they would settle a dispute in favour of the merchant while sending me documents from the merchant which validated my dispute. It was as though no one even bothered to read the documents!

Of course I consider it a blip -- otherwise I wouldn't still be a cardmember -- but my experience does seem to reinforce this thread's title

+1 my experience with Chase was exactly this

I agree, Citi is best in these matters and others
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
I think Amex is correct on this. The product does not work for you, but that does not mean it is defective.

If I buy milk and it makes me sick as I am lactose intolerant, that is not the fault of the merchant, dairy or Amex.

I do think the merchant should refund your money, but if you bought it knowing it was non-refundable, it is sort of buyer beware.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:38 pm

Terribly Disappointed with AMEX

Amex's merchant service is been a nightmare for us small business owners. We have disputed several chargebacks, followed all the AMEX required protocols for mail/phone orders; shipped to cardholder's billing address with signed proof of delivery.

We are struggling, thus AMEX has been nothing but a nightmare!!!! No wonder many business; large or small, no longer honors or accepts AMEX!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by laurenxesq
Amex's merchant service is been a nightmare!
Welcome to Flyertalk. It would be interesting to hear a merchant's perspective on chargebacks, but you would need to be more specific. On what basis are most of your claims filed (e.g. not received, late, damaged, quality, not authorized)?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Originally Posted by vilntrav
Also I would have advised this dentist that if he does not refund me/compensate me for all costs incured I would make publicity about his practice on internet.
Be careful you don't violate any extortion laws. Depending on your state, you might violate extortion laws if you disparage a business while trying to get a refund.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. It would be interesting to hear a merchant's perspective on chargebacks, but you would need to be more specific. On what basis are most of your claims filed (e.g. not received, late, damaged, quality, not authorized)?
Thank you Mia.

AMEX cardholders alleging fraud. Thus, FedEx have the cardholders' signatures & video footage of actual pick up of shipments from FedEx stations. We sent Proof of Delivery multiple times to AMEX. We are a small shop sells aftermarket high-end auto acces. The AMEX cardholders received the goods, alleging fraud to avoid paying. $30k...really need help here...

To: Joanna.g.lamber <[email protected]>; Laureen.e.seeger <[email protected]>; anre.2illiams <[email protected]>; mike.o'neill <mike.o'[email protected]>; ken.f.paukowits <[email protected]>; richard.petrino <[email protected]>; frank.vaccaro <[email protected]>; marina.h.norville <[email protected]>; caitlin.stefanik <[email protected]>; molly.faust <[email protected]>
Cc: merchantsupportbb <[email protected]>
Sent: Thu, Mar 26, 2015 1:12 pm
Subject: Fwd: Attn: Rovina W - Merchant No.

Dear AMEX:

We, as a small minority business, have done every step required pursuant to AMEX merchant policy to ship products via mail order/phone order referenced to your case no. OG11202 and Y465425. We have provided proof of delivery to AMEX in November 2014, December 2014, January 2015, Feb 2015, and multiple times in March 2015, spoke to both AMEX cardholders, as of today, AMEX continue to deny reversal of the said two chargebacks.

We hereby respectfully request AMEX's immediate reversal of the said two chargebacks referenced under case no. OG11202 and Y465425.

Thank you.
Very truly yours,
SP

Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:03 AM
To: [email protected]

Subject: Attn: Rovina W - Merchant No.

Dear MS. Rovina-AMEX
Thank you for your time this morning.

Pursuant to our phone conversation attached please find a copy of documentations including but not limited to FedEx documentations supporting AMEX cardholders S B, Sm A Ai in receipt of goods purchased from merchant.

Please refer to the attachments:

1. AMEX cardholder Sm received goods purchased from merchant under FedEx tracking no. 210, 908, 713, 702 respectively. Proof of delivery provided by FedEx included AMEX cardholder Sm date of birth, address,

2. AMEX cardholder SB received goods purchased from merchant under FedEx tracking no. 610 (total of 4 packages). Proof of delivery provided by FedEx included AMEX cardholder SB date of birth.

Please reverse the said two chargebacks referenced under case no. OG11202 and Y465425.

Thank you.
Very truly yours,
SP

-----Original Message-----
To: Lauren
Sent: Thu, Mar 26, 2015 8:26 am
Subject: RE: Attn: Rovina W - Merchant No.

Hi Merchant,

As previously advised, our Management Team has denied your chargeback reversal request, because the documentation submitted was insufficient. Again, in order to go forward with your request; we need you to provide us with a letter from Federal Express and/or the Proof of Delivery that indicate the Card Member picked up the package(s) from the Federal Express location.

In addition, American Express contacted Federal Express for the disposition of the package(s) and was advised that a claim had been filed and resolved. Please provide documentation that indicate the resolution of the claim.

Rovina
AMEX
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Thank you Mia.
We are a small shop in CA sells high-end after market auto access for BMW Ms, Ferrari etc. AMEX chargedback two mail orders alleging fraud. After research, the two AMEX cardholders did received the goods and deny placing the orders and/or the transactions. FedEx have video footage of AMEX cardholders actual picking up the shipments at FedEx stations. We responded to AMEX's every single demand and provided proof of delivery each time, as of todate, we are still fighting a loosing battle and out close to $38k.

Thank you Mia.
We are a small shop in CA sells high-end after market auto access for BMW Ms, Ferrari etc. AMEX chargedback two mail orders alleging fraud. After research, the two AMEX cardholders did received the goods and deny placing the orders and/or the transactions. FedEx have video footage of AMEX cardholders actual picking up the shipments at FedEx stations. We responded to AMEX's every single demand and provided proof of delivery each time, as of todate, we are still fighting a loosing battle and out close to $38k.

-----Original Message-----
To: [Names and email addresses of American Express employees removed per FlyerTalk privacy policy]
Cc: merchantsupport <[email protected]: Thu, Mar 26, 2015 1:12 pm
Subject: Fwd: Attn: R------ W - Merchant No. 50

Dear AMEX:

We, as a small minority business, have done every step required pursuant to AMEX merchant policy to ship products via mail order/phone order referenced to your case no. OG11202 and Y465425. We have provided proof of delivery to AMEX in November 2014, December 2014, January 2015, Feb 2015, and multiple times in March 2015, spoke to both AMEX cardholders, as of today, AMEX continue to deny reversal of the said two chargebacks.

We hereby respectfully request AMEX's immediate reversal of the the said two chargebacks referenced under case no. OGxxxxx and Yxxxxx.

Thank you.

Very truly yours,
SP

Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:03 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Attn: Rovina W - Merchant No. 50

Dear Ms. R ------- of AMEX,

Thank you for your time this morning.

Pursuant to our phone conversation attached please find a copy of documentations including but not limited to FedEx documentations supporting AMEX cardholders S B, Sm A in receipt of goods purchased from Merchant.
Please refer to the attachments:
1. AMEX cardholder Sm A received goods purchased from Merchantunder FedEx tracking no. 3210, 3908, 3713, 3702 respectively. Proof of delivery provided by FedEx included AMEX cardholder Sm A's date of birth, address,

2. AMEX cardholder S B received goods purchased from Merchant under FedEx tracking no. 3610 (total of 4 packages). Proof of delivery provided by FedEx included AMEX cardholder S B's date of birth.

Please reverse the said two chargebacks referenced under case no. OG11202 and Y465425.

Thank you.
Very truly yours,

SP

-Original Message-----
To: Lauren
Sent: Thu, Mar 26, 2015 8:26 am
Subject: RE: Attn: Rovina W - Merchant No. 50

Hi L

As previously advised, our Management Team has denied your chargeback reversal request, because the documentation submitted was insufficient. Again, in order to go forward with your request; we need you to provide us with a letter from Federal Express and/or the Proof of Delivery that indicate the Card Member picked up the package(s) from the Federal Express location.

In addition, American Express contacted Federal Express for the disposition of the package(s) and was advised that a claim had been filed and resolved. Please provide documentation that indicate the resolution of the claim.

R------

American Express made the following annotations

Last edited by mia; Mar 26, 2015 at 7:28 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies and remove identifiable personal information
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Amex's merchant service is been a nightmare for us small business owners. We have disputed several chargebacks, followed all the AMEX required protocols for mail/phone orders; shipped to cardholder's billing address with signed proof of delivery.
Interesting. I recently had what I suspect was a related experience at Lowe's Home Improvement. I had purchased an appliance in the store, and paid for delivery and installation, and put it on an Amex card. No problem. Come delivery and install day, it wouldn't fit. Me and the installer found a suitable substitute on the Lowe's website, and it was in stock at the store, so he agreed to take the unit I had purchased back to the store and exchange it for the model that would fit. In making arrangements over the phone, the store said that they could not keep the payment on an Amex card, even though the two products were exactly the same price: they had to do a refund on the old unit and charge the new one. They could refund the old unit to the Amex, but could not charge the new one, as "they don't take Amex over the phone." Note, that this was not dealing with the website or a third-party vendor, but with someone that was actually in the store and using a store register to complete the transaction. Their policy even in that situation was that they don't take Amex if the card is not present, but gladly took a MasterCard. My best guess at the time was that it had to do with chargeback issues, and this recent post here makes me think I'm right even a bit more.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... the two AMEX cardholders did received the goods and deny placing the orders and/or the transactions. FedEx have video footage of AMEX cardholders actual picking up the shipments at FedEx stations.
I combined your replies into a single post and removed all of the American Express employee names and email addresses, per FlyerTalk's privacy rules which you can read HERE.

If I understand correctly, the merchandise was shipped to the cardholder's billing address, but was held at a FedEx office rather than delivered. FedEx has video showing that someone picked up the shipment, but how do you or American Express or FedEx know that the person is the cardholder?

It sounds as if a claim was filed with FedEx, and American Express wants to see the outcome of that claim.

It also sounds as if the local police at the destination should be involved if there is any possibility that someone other than the cardholder picked up the shipment.

Last edited by mia; Mar 27, 2015 at 9:04 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by mia
I combined your replies into a single post and removed all of the American Express employee names and email addresses, per FlyerTalk's privacy rules which you can read HERE.
Thank you Mia.

Last edited by mia; Mar 27, 2015 at 9:31 am Reason: Prune quotation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.