Membership Rewards (First)

Old Sep 23, 09, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Membership Rewards (First)

I have a Gold charge card and a Gold Business charge card. I purchase quite a few things (especially on the business card) through the Membership Rewards Mall to earn 3x points.

I was considering upgrading the personal card to the Platinum card. With the Platinum card comes the Membership Rewards First program, which gets you 4x points at the Membership Rewards Mall.

My question: Will I receive 4x points on purchases made on the Gold Business charge card, or will those purchases remain at 3x?

If I'm going to upgrade, I'd much rather it be the personal, and not the business card.

Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 09, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you spend more than 30,000/year in the mall? If not then you probably aren't going to get your money's worth on those points anyways.

I don't know the answer to the other question; sorry.
Old Sep 24, 09, 7:25 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
When American Express says "3X" they really mean "2 more than normal" because you earn one point for the credit card transaction plus two points for using the site. Bonus Points Mall requires all merchants to offer the same 2or 3 points per dollar, while other sites allow each merchant to choose their own incentive level.

This makes some merchants, notably electronics retailers, good value through Bonus Points Mall, but you would do well to compare buying through an airline shopping portal. If the same merchants offer 3 or more miles per dollar through an airline shopping site you will be ahead, because you will still earn one point for paying with American Express and 3+ miles for shopping through the portal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: