Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by SantaGrapes
Thanks all for your help on this. When I move I will keep everyone updated on my experience with the process.
Just make sure to first apply online, once, for the card you are interested in. Then call them on the phone when they ask you to upload a W-2 (why they even think you have that when moving to US??) to sort things out. The Global Transfer people are efficient and it's just a matter of seconds for them to pair your application with your existing Amex card number.

I did the mistake to apply online twice. I followed the "online" instructions at https://www.americanexpress.com/glob...ed-states.html and thought something went wrong since I didn't get the expected outcome, so I applied again the day after. My first two hard pulls in US, one too many...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: FB Gold
My experience using global transfer.

Owner of French authorized user platinum (doesn't count but still, it's on file), gold charge on my name opened 3 months ago and a gold air france-klm charge opened 1 month ago.

Applied online using the pre-filled application that accesses international data while logged in to my French account. After being instantly refused I called new cards and got transferred to the global transfer service. The knowledgeable agent quickly sorted it out and approved my US gold charge card. No conference call with the bank or any hassle. Fast, efficient and not treated like 2nd class citizen/resident/alien for not having US credit history.

The entire process took 15 minutes from applying online to being approved.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Financial review and global transfers

I am happy to report that if you transfer your membership to a country where you are blacklisted due to failing a previous financial review, you are very likely to get approved for another card in the country.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
US -> France/UK/Italy

Hi all,

New to this board. I'm starting business school soon and am looking ahead. During the second year, they let us do an exchange term abroad for a semester. Would it be possible for me to get a UK/France/Italy Amex Plat through Global Transfer while I'm a student in any of those countries? Just curious how stringent they are. From what I've read, Germany seems to be pretty lax, but not sure about the others. I've been with Amex since 2011, and I have had a US Amex Plat for ~2 years now.

Also, if I were to get an Amex Plat abroad, could I still keep the account open even after I finish my term and move back to the States?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Shouldn’t be a problem (provided that you’re a legal resident in that respective country) and yes, you should be able to keep the account open as residency verification is usually only done when you open the card.
If you don’t tell them that you moved back to the States, they won’t be able to know.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by redbird14
From what I've read, Germany seems to be pretty lax, but not sure about the others
I wouldn't describe Germany as lax... I had two UK Amex cards, and when I did a global transfer to Germany the process seemed much more convoluted, including having to do this "PostIdent" / "VideoPostIdent" thing in order to get the application to start being reviewed.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Shouldn’t be a problem (provided that you’re a legal resident in that respective country) and yes, you should be able to keep the account open as residency verification is usually only done when you open the card.
If you don’t tell them that you moved back to the States, they won’t be able to know.
Got it, thank you!

Originally Posted by Mackle
I wouldn't describe Germany as lax... I had two UK Amex cards, and when I did a global transfer to Germany the process seemed much more convoluted, including having to do this "PostIdent" / "VideoPostIdent" thing in order to get the application to start being reviewed.
Interesting. Have you heard anything about France/Italy's process?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Can't comment on France/Italy, but the German process being "convoluted" is simply a result of legislation.
German KYC/AML law requires financial institutions to verify their customers' identity. With American Express, you can't walk into a branch to show your passport and residence permit - as there are none.
In theory, they could do address verification via credit bureaus (SCHUFA etc.), but they can't/aren't allowed to verify tax IDs (whereas I believe US credit bureaus do that).
I'm sure you don't want anyone to be able to open bank accounts or credit cards in your name, simply because they found out your address. ;-)

So the only way to do it is PostIdent - which means you show your passport to an employee of any post office. Which is still a hassle, but at least there should be a post office even in small towns.
Or you can do this VideoIdent thing, which means you just wave your passport in front of your webcam, so you don't even have to leave the house.
(In theory, the German national ID cards are smartcards. So you could get a chip reader and use that for identification. But as Germans are paranoid when it comes to data privacy, almost no one has that feature enabled and so almost no bank cares to support it.)

Yes, it's more convenient in places like Scandinavia where you just log in your country's official identification system (BankID in Norway etc.) using your tax ID number and the bank pulls your address right from the tax office's official residency register. But after experiencing dictatorships twice in a century, Germany are a bit skeptical paranoid when it comes to centralized data storage.
Mackle likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:32 am

HK to US transfer experience

So I applied for Amex US Plat using my HK card. Got approved within 2 hours after submiting online. Neither SSN or ITIN was asked.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:35 am

Your first US card should ALWAYS be a true credit card, not a charge card tlike the Platinum. I made that mistake and even though I have had my US Plat for over a year, Chase did not approve me for the Sapphire Reserve.
I will now have to wait another year until my SPG credit card will have built enough credit for me.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:27 pm

Your first US card should ALWAYS be a true credit card, not a charge card tlike the Platinum. I made that mistake and even though I have had my US Plat for over a year, Chase did not approve me for the Sapphire Reserve.
I will now have to wait another year until my SPG credit card will have built enough credit for me.
Oh well it's too late!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:49 pm

Yep, same here. Just mentioning this for the sake of others reading this thread.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:08 am

Can't comment on France/Italy, but the German process being "convoluted" is simply a result of legislation.
German KYC/AML law requires financial institutions to verify their customers' identity. With American Express, you can't walk into a branch to show your passport and residence permit - as there are none.
In theory, they could do address verification via credit bureaus (SCHUFA etc.), but they can't/aren't allowed to verify tax IDs (whereas I believe US credit bureaus do that).
I'm sure you don't want anyone to be able to open bank accounts or credit cards in your name, simply because they found out your address. ;-)

So the only way to do it is PostIdent - which means you show your passport to an employee of any post office. Which is still a hassle, but at least there should be a post office even in small towns.
Or you can do this VideoIdent thing, which means you just wave your passport in front of your webcam, so you don't even have to leave the house.
(In theory, the German national ID cards are smartcards. So you could get a chip reader and use that for identification. But as Germans are paranoid when it comes to data privacy, almost no one has that feature enabled and so almost no bank cares to support it.)

Yes, it's more convenient in places like Scandinavia where you just log in your country's official identification system (BankID in Norway etc.) using your tax ID number and the bank pulls your address right from the tax office's official residency register. But after experiencing dictatorships twice in a century, Germany are a bit skeptical paranoid when it comes to centralized data storage.
That honestly doesn't seem all that bad! Thank you for the info
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:14 am

It’s really just for ID verification. The post office or VideoIdent provider has nothing to do with your application.
All they do is let the bank know that you are indeed the person you’re claiming to be. Before that part has been completed, your application cannot be processed.
Mackle likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
It’s really just for ID verification. The post office or VideoIdent provider has nothing to do with your application.
All they do is let the bank know that you are indeed the person you’re claiming to be. Before that part has been completed, your application cannot be processed.
It was the same for when I got my girlfriend a supplemental card, she had to do the PostIdent process before the application could be finalised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.