Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mia
Global Transfer does not convert a card issued in one country to a card in another country. It simply allows you to use your USA credit history to apply for a French card. You still need to meet the French requirements.
Understood that I keep the US card. I understood that Global Transfer might relax some of the requirements for example on income or requirement of FR tax returns since Amex has my US credit card history.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Spending every other month in US (from UK) - transfer card options?

I live in the UK, but have spent the last 3 months in the US with work. I have the option of moving to the US full time (which I don't want to do for a variety of mainly family reasons) but a compromise could be to spend a month in the UK, then a month in the US etc, so that I'll be splitting my time over the year between the two countries.

I'm an Amex Platinum Card holder (as well as Amex BA) and the offers on the US Platinum card would be beneficial to me during my time in the US. I've seen that there is an option to move your card from UK to US if your move is permanent, but I'm wondering if there's anything for a scenario such as mine. I'm assuming that I wouldn't be able to apply for an additional US Platinum since I don't have an official address in the US, nor will I be a US citizen? I'm not sure how it works with Amex, or credit cards in general, if I'm honest. I've read about the international dollar card, which sounds as though it's what I want, as long as this can be taken out in addition to existing UK cards.

I just tried to use the Amex chat function, but they've said I need to speak to Customer Services about it (which I'll do next week) but I wondered if anyone on here has done anything similar, or knows the guidelines?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Tredders; Aug 29, 2021 at 7:07 pm
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Tredders
I live in the UK, but have spent the last 3 months in the US with work. I have the option of moving to the US full time (which I don't want to do for a variety of mainly family reasons) but a compromise could be to spend a month in the UK, then a month in the US etc, so that I'll be splitting my time over the year between the two countries.

I'm an Amex Platinum Card holder (as well as Amex BA) and the offers on the US Platinum card would be beneficial to me during my time in the US. I've seen that there is an option to move your card from UK to US if your move is permanent, but I'm wondering if there's anything for a scenario such as mine. I'm assuming that I wouldn't be able to apply for an additional US Platinum since I don't have an official address in the US, nor will I be a US citizen? I'm not sure how it works with Amex, or credit cards in general, if I'm honest. I've read about the international dollar card, which sounds as though it's what I want, as long as this can be taken out in addition to existing UK cards.

I just tried to use the Amex chat function, but they've said I need to speak to Customer Services about it (which I'll do next week) but I wondered if anyone on here has done anything similar, or knows the guidelines?

Thanks in advance.
The first step of any solution should be to open a simple bank account in the U.S. There are plenty of no-fee options.

If the plan is to maintain the UK Platinum, consider simply adding the ICC dollar Green card to earn 1MR per dollar with no foreign transaction fee. Then, you could merge those points with your UK card or vice versa and pay your statement from the U.S. bank account for free. Alternatively, you can cancel or downgrade the UK Platinum and transition to the ICC dollar Platinum, which is cheaper and offers certain ancillary benefits that are actually superior to those of the UK Platinum, especially with regard to travel insurances and coverages (e.g. $1 million 3rd party liability insurance on rental cars in America in addition to the usual collision damage waiver - this literally is unheard of and non-existent on even the highest level U.S. cards).

The second option would be to consult the Global Transfer team and open a U.S. card. I have a feeling they could help in your fringe case.

The third option would take time, but grant greater flexibility going forward: after opening your bank account, open a "starter" card and use it to establish a credit profile in America. After a few months, perhaps six, you should be able to approach Amex U.S. through the regular application channels and open a card - no SSN/ITIN required (believe it or not).
GUWonder, Ellice, Tredders and 1 others like this.

Last edited by moe8555; Aug 29, 2021 at 11:47 pm
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If the OP sounds likely to become a tax subject of the US, an ITIN or SSN would be in the picture for that. And either way, Amex in the US would likely ask at least a few times for an SSN/ITIN even for US Amex accounts opened without them.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tredders
I've seen that there is an option to move your card from UK to US if your move is permanent,
The Global Transfers program does not transfer a UK account to a USA account. It allows you to use your UK credit history with American Express to apply for a USA-issued card. Your UK card can remain open. Begin here to review the requirements:

https://www.americanexpress.com/glob...ed-states.html

Scroll back to read reports of actual experiences.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the replies. I'll initially speak to Amex about the Global Transfer program, and see what the options are to get a US card.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You will easily be able to open a US card through the Global Transfer program once you have a US mailing address, bank account, and, ideally, SSN/ITIN. Amex isn’t going to care where you pay how much in taxes or if you also still have a home in the UK. They only want to be sure they can get a hold of you in the US if you can’t pay.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Long Term Stay - Pick up a local AMEX?

I am currently living overseas and do not plan on returning to the States for the foreseeable future.
I have the US Plat card and am not using the cards benefits effectively.

A Platinum card is available in Thailand that would at least provide solid return on spend and benefits.

Does anyone know if MR points from a new card opened in another country are or can be combined with an existing account, or is opening an account in another Country an entirely new endeavor?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 5:35 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Entirely new endeavor. Opening a card in another country is supposed to be easier if you’re already a cardmember, but I’ve had mixed results with this (it worked in Spain but not in Mexico). https://www.americanexpress.com/glob...s/index.shtml#
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rebadc

Does anyone know if MR points from a new card opened in another country are or can be combined with an existing account....
The Global Transfers program may allow you to apply for an American Express card in Thailand using your USA history, it does NOT transfer your USA card account to Thailand.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-relationship/

There is a sparsely documented option to transfer MR points from one country's program to another. It is a slow manual process, one transfer in a 12 month period is allowed, the quantity is adjusted to reflect the currency exchange rate and base earning rate in the two markets. Not all countries participate.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:57 am

We're in the process of moving from the US to Germany. For the next year, we'll be residents of both countries, but mostly staying in Germany. Not fully clear which country it'll be long-term.
I'm currently in the market for an Amex Platinum, and am now considering if to get one in the US or in Germany:
  • I can get a significantly more attractive signup bonus in the US with 150,000 points, and the flight earnings are much more compelling
  • As far as the other benefits, the German one would make more sense as that's where we'll stay
  • Interestingly it appears the US has no fee on foreign transactions, but the German one has
My current thinking is to get the US card now with its much larger signup bonus and its better condition for foreign transactions.
Then keep it for a year and use it for flights & my daily card in both countries.
Assuming in 12 months we'll likely stay long-term in Germany, I'd then open a new one there, transfer all points and close the US one.

Would that be possible?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
That would be possible, but the US card is much better than the German card. US points transfer 1:1 to travel partners, German points transfer 5:4 at best.
The only advantage with the German card would be local Amex offers, and you wouldn’t be able to use things like the Uber credit that the US card comes with.
You’ve already mentioned FX fees.
The German card has different transfer partners, like Qatar Airways and SAS.
You can get a German Visa/MasterCard like the Miles&More credit card, then use that to transfer money into your US bank account to pay off your US card. That way, you’d earn both US Membership Rewards points and Miles&More miles.
matt85 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
That would be possible, but the US card is much better than the German card. US points transfer 1:1 to travel partners, German points transfer 5:4 at best.
The only advantage with the German card would be local Amex offers, and you wouldn’t be able to use things like the Uber credit that the US card comes with.
You’ve already mentioned FX fees.
The German card has different transfer partners, like Qatar Airways and SAS.
Thanks for your input. I generally agree that the US card is more attractive, at the same time if we'd stay more long-term in Germany many of the US benefits won't apply. That said, keeping the US card regardless is definitely an option I will consider in any case.
One major reason why I've some hesitations about this is because for a longer period, it can become a hassle to transfer money from Germany to my US account, pay fees and be dependent on the conversion rates. I'm using an FX broker for transactions in both ways which is pretty lean but it'll still mean I'll have to do that regularly.
Could you please elaborate what you mean with:
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
You can get a German Visa/MasterCard like the Miles&More credit card, then use that to transfer money into your US bank account to pay off your US card. That way, you’d earn both US Membership Rewards points and Miles&More miles.
I've in fact already had an eye on that card in addition to the Amex Platinum. But how would I use this to transfer from Euros to my US$ account? It also comes with a foreign transaction fee. Wouldn't that eat up any mile earnings as part of the transaction?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:36 am

You can use Revolut for that. Top up your Revolut account with your M&M card, then transfer the money into your US bank account. It is sent as a direct deposit.
Revolut offers the mid-market exchange rate (=no FX fee) and you’d top up your Revolut account in EUR.

Also, I think that apart from the 5x on flights, the US Platinum card generally isn’t worth it anymore. Even US residents are canceling it in droves. I’d look into cards with a lower annual fee/better value proposition. Amex Green/Gold, Chase Sapphire, Citi Premier, etc.

Last edited by mia; Oct 28, 2021 at 11:20 am
Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
Global Transfer to Canada

Any global tranfer to an Amex in the U.S. is straight forward and pretty easy process, going the other direction is usually not. I went through a 4 month nightmare trying to take my U.S. card to Canada. They had no clue what they were doing and after multiple declined applications and 6 credit inquiries including 2 on my U.S. credit report. No score in Canada 805 Equifax in America. i was able to get a manger who sorted it out. But that occured after I reached out to Amex in the U.S. and said they were about to lose both accounts. My monthly spend is about 50k on my platinum and as of this writting my spending power is 200,000 a month. Kicker is after all that they approved me for a 1,000 credit limit, lol So that card collects dust but helps me build candian credit. Needless to say if your doing Canada just go to whatever bank your using BMO was more then happy to give me a 15k credit card
psusaver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.