Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:40 am

Please help me :)

Originally Posted by olivedel
it clearly does. When I transferred to the US, it built my credit history immediately as I carried 5 years of pristine history from France.
Hi olivedel, I am moving to the US from France this year and I have started an application with amex global transfer for a new credit card.
I am an Amex "member since 2011", what will happen for my credit score ?
Will I have a better one or not? I am a little bit lost...
Thank you
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Benoit Pierret
Hi olivedel, I am moving to the US from France this year and I have started an application with amex global transfer for a new credit card.
Thank you
When I moved to the US in 2011, it posted 4 years of perfect credit history to US bureaus, but from what I read in that thread since then, things appeared to have changed since then.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Benoit Pierret
Thank you
When I moved to the US in 2004 there was not backdating of my 'credit history' to the 1999 start date in Switzerland. It essentially started my US credit history at that point. Amex gave me a nice credit line based on my payment and spending history in Switzerland.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:31 pm

Cancelling my UK Centurion

Got a strange letter in the mail saying they would cancel my UK Centurion card since I have a US address. I’ll need to determine how they can do a Global Transfer to a US Centurion. Anyone have experience with that?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AJetSetter
....UK Centurion ....
Is this a Sterling account, or an International Currency Card (ICC) account billing in Dollars or Euros? ICC cards are not available to USA (and various other) addresses.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Is this a Sterling account, or an International Currency Card (ICC) account billing in Dollars or Euros? ICC cards are not available to USA (and various other) addresses.
A Sterling card. Used to live in UK and moved to US.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:37 am

Got a strange letter in the mail saying they would cancel my UK Centurion card since I have a US address. I’ll need to determine how they can do a Global Transfer to a US Centurion. Anyone have experience with that?
I don't think this is possible through the Global Transfer program and is more case by case. I Once reached out to AmEx US and they told me I would have to re-qualify in the US. If you have VERY high spending with AmEx UK, they might take that into consideration though. So it all depends on how good of a customer you are, but if your spend isn't as high anymore, I don't think you have a shot.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
A Sterling card. Used to live in UK and moved to US.
Could you simply change your address to that of a friend or relative and be done with it? Nowadays, most correspondence is electronic anyway...
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

I don’t know if you can backtrack this but here are two points for consideration:

1. Your country-issued card generally needs a correspondence address in that country. I know there are some exceptions to this but they are not common. This address does not need to be your residential address or your permanent residence. I have Amex cards in three countries but am of course resident in only one.

2. Centurion does not transfer to the US, you will need to requalify. I asked my RM about a US Centurion and was told that they can put in a word but no guarantees.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:27 am

Transfer done

That was easier than I thought. Got transferred around a few times and they took my info. Got called back by new accounts, who took down my info, approved me on the spot and new Centurion Card delivered in two days, initiation fee waived. (I spend about $100k/month between my current personal and biz Amex cards, so maybe that helped grease the skids?) Now just need to determine if I can transfer my MR points.

Biggest loss is no Centurion supplementary card included in the US version like in the UK. An additional $5k is hard to swallow. I’ll be curious if I can get the $2k travel credit.
Old May 2, 2021, 8:50 am
mia

Now just need to determine if I can transfer my MR points.
Yes: Is it possible to transfer MR points between different countries?
Old May 3, 2021, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mia
Until 2015, American Express (USA) backdated newly opened accounts to the year in which the oldest account was opened. When they started reporting the actual year for new accounts they still used the old date for Member Since shown on the card. This means that since 2015 the Member Since date has been decoupled from the date reported to credit bureaus in the USA. I cannot say if they have made the same change in other countries, but it is the reported date that matters, not the embossed date.

Amex no longer backdating new accounts to credit bureaus?
I think the bloggers ruined it.
James91 likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Anyone know if a referral can be used when going application by phone? I'd be using Global Transfer with my Amex Plat Personal card in the US to an Air France Amex Platinum card in France. Thanks!
Old May 11, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Can't speak to the French process, but in the US, you can apply online. The application will go to pending (they will request additional documents), and then you can call and get it approved through Global Transfer on the phone.
bennytma likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 10:44 am
mia

Originally Posted by bennytma
.... Amex Plat Personal card in the US to an Air France Amex Platinum card in France.
Global Transfer does not convert a card issued in one country to a card in another country. It simply allows you to use your USA credit history to apply for a French card. You still need to meet the French requirements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.