Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Old May 22, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I applied for a card as a German resident and so far it all seems to work out, even without an ITIN.
They asked me to produce a proof of address, which would be no problem as I could send them a bank statement of my US account.
I'm just starting to question the legality of it. The terms and conditions clearly state "This offer is available to US Residents.".
Wouldn't it be misrepresentation to produce a proof of address then?
Old May 22, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by nick_n
Wouldn't it be misrepresentation to produce a proof of address then?
Yes, probably.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Yes, probably.
Might just ask my US bank for one then instead
Old May 22, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I doubt that your US bank would give you a credit card if you're not a US resident. How would they get their money if you don't pay?
In practice, Amex probably won't care as long as you pay your bills. But definitely don't use their insurance policies because they're only valid for US residents.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:10 pm

I doubt that your US bank would give you a credit card if you're not a US resident. How would they get their money if you don't pay?
In practice, Amex probably won't care as long as you pay your bills. But definitely don't use their insurance policies because they're only valid for US residents.
I'd have to start with a secured credit card for sure. BofA definitely hands those out to non-resident aliens.
I'll overthink the AMEX thing though, thanks a lot for your opinion!
Old May 22, 2020, 12:12 pm

Sure, you can build credit with a secured credit card. But even with positive credit history, I doubt that any bank would offer you an unsecured line of credit.
If they give you a $10k CL and you take that money and run, how would they ever get a hold of you?
Old May 29, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by nick_n
I'd have to start with a secured credit card for sure. BofA definitely hands those out to non-resident aliens.
I'll overthink the AMEX thing though, thanks a lot for your opinion!
Go with Citibank they have a "Global Client" program. You have to go in-branch and speak to your RM after holding a Citi acct for more than 3 months.
Here is the documentation i got in the bank about a year ago: https://i.imgur.com/jnWMUys.jpg
Old May 29, 2020, 5:42 am

Did that work for you? They gave me the same information in the branch, but when I called about it, no one had even heard about it.
It was also not clear if you’d have to hold a Citi account elsewhere (like with Amex Global Transfer) or not. The branch rep said no, they just pull your credit in your home country, but someone else told me it only works if there’s a Citi subsidiary in that country. Citi closed down in Germany a couple years ago.
Old May 29, 2020, 6:34 am

Did that work for you? They gave me the same information in the branch, but when I called about it, no one had even heard about it.
It was also not clear if youd have to hold a Citi account elsewhere (like with Amex Global Transfer) or not. The branch rep said no, they just pull your credit in your home country, but someone else told me it only works if theres a Citi subsidiary in that country. Citi closed down in Germany a couple years ago.
Yes this worked for me 2 years ago. I believe it can only work US in-branch. I sat down with my banker after holding an US Citigold account for 8 years and as i've never had a card told him if at this time i could get one. He was like.... yes you can do it... you just need to bring me Passport and a Letterhead proof of income, it doesn't matter if it's from abroad and we'll see if you get approved. He was not sure about the whole thing so i applied for middle entry card instead of the top ones.

Between my time of application in-branch and having my card up and running - 2 months passed. After receiving the email i was approved, i had to wait a physical letter to my US address with a code that i had to tell Citi. Then i had to call-in Citi for the AAdvantage card to be linked to my Citi account as this time it was not done automatically. I've never had problems with the card, working perfectly.

Then after 10 months of holding the AAdvantage Platinum card i went in again and spoke to my branch manager. I told him i was surprised of getting approved to this AA cc and he told me it was normal, that at that time they processed the application through their global client program. I still was not aware of this, so he handed me that piece of paper... and told me i could apply to any card there... while talking to him, i tried again. And this time i applied for my 2nd card that was a Citi Prestige. My Citi Prestige process was much smoother than my AA card, i was not asked any documentation... approved a few days later and received my card pretty fast and linked to my account in about a week of applying versus the 2 months it got my AA card to get work.

I believe it must be done in person and in the States, my branch manager also explained me that the minimum banking relationship length needed was 3 months. Though i believe any type of Citi account can get it, it doesn't have to be a Citi Priority, Citigold. I think even the basic banking package works but what is more important is the length of time you had your account in good standing. That's the only bit he disclosed about the program. I don't know about applying with Citi accounts outside the US. I only had credit history in my home country Venezuela at that time, nothing else. (with a domestic bank, not Citi Venezuela)
Old May 29, 2020, 6:44 am

Thank you! I wonder what the difference is between that and applying for the card the “normal” way?
I have had a Citi account for half a year,, but I don’t really use it.
However, I have had cards from Amex and Chase for 2.5 years and my US credit score is good.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Got approved for a GT to the UK market the other day. Will be very useful for my UK spending within the UK. Was a very smooth ride actually and the sales rep from Amex UK was very professional and service minded. Well trained folks.
They looked at how I've been using my current Amex with spending and paying invoices etc. And since i provided both my uk number and uk address they simply wanted a copy of my passport.

I'll in some time need a US personal + Biz card. Anyone know which bank that accepts remote applications for a regular US checking account? I'll have my ITIN by then. Resident address, passport etc is no problem but I won't be able to apply in branch. Have to be online or by phone.

Last edited by joakgarp; May 29, 2020 at 11:26 am
Old May 29, 2020, 12:47 pm

Thank you! I wonder what the difference is between that and applying for the card the normal way?
I have had a Citi account for half a year,, but I dont really use it.
However, I have had cards from Amex and Chase for 2.5 years and my US credit score is good.
I have not tackled Chase, from what I read so far is that there are one of the most difficult to work with. I would like to but I guess I will leave this for next time I am in the US. I don't think there's much difference in the ways of applying. I think you're good to go, as long as you apply in-person, If you need I can PM you the branch that I applied from. I've always have had good experiences with my home branch. Amex I recently got it and may do another GT to UK.., BoA also gives cards and the Premium Rewards is specially good If you have banking relationship. I think the only one I would miss/like to get into would be Chase.. Cheers.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:17 pm

Chase is fine, but you must have at least a year of credit history. It also took me two tries to be approved for a credit card.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Chase is fine, but you must have at least a year of credit history. It also took me two tries to be approved for a credit card.
​​​​​​What was the reason Chase denied you in your first attempt?
Read a post on Reddit who applied for a business card and Chase rep started to ask tons of questions of his business with revenue, income, employees etc lol like an interview for 10 minutes so it very much depends who you are talking to.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:19 am

They denied me for a lack of US credit history. I think I had about a year of history and that wasn’t enough for them.
Chase also told me they will not open business cards without a SSN. An ITIN is not enough for that - which makes sense because without a SSN you can’t work in the US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.