Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 7:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tazmania
Just check my emails and that was what we got after we moved from the USA --> UK
How long ago was this? I applied using Global Transfers in 2005, and I applied for another card in 2016. The proof of address requirements in 2016 were much more rigorous than in 2005.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by pointsbrah
Has anyone used Shipito as their US Address provider recently? There are a few DPs that Shipito is no longer shipping credit cards.
Any suggestions / thoughts?
I would also be interested in any recent experience with Shipito as I am about to order a card and don’t want it getting “stuck”!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by mia
Global Transfer allows you to use your USA history with American Express to apply for a card in a country where you have no history, it does not transfer your account. You could keep your USA Platinum account, or downgrade it to Premier Rewards Gold or Green.
That's good to know! Does this apply to all applications globally?
I'm Canadian but in Germany for an extended period of time, though no plans to give up my Canadian AMEX Plat as of yet, I assume I can get a German AMEX? Not looking to get Plat though as point system sucks here in Germany!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, that should work. You should get a German Gold card and call to activate the "Membership Rewards Turbo" (1.5 points per 1€ on the first 40k€ of spend per year).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K
I applied over the phone today AMEX global transfer from Canada -> USA. I reached the normal applications team even though I dialled the 1-800 global transfer contact number on the AMEX website.

The only thing I was required to verbally provide was my existing card number and ID verification in the form of a passport, drivers license, etc. since I didn't have a SSN. I recently received an ITIN but they said they didn't need it (even though I insisted providing it so that I could build up a credit history under my ITIN number). No income verification or bank statement required...

At the end of the call, they ended up transferring me to the Global Transfer team to finalize the application but they didn't ask for any more info, only my existing card number again.

So now I have a US-based AMEX card being sent to my valid US address. My question is if AMEX doesn't have my ITIN on file, will I still be building up a credit history under my name, birthdate and US address, so that I can eventually apply for more "lucrative" cards in the future?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rowdypfeifer
I applied over the phone today AMEX global transfer from Canada -> USA. I reached the normal applications team even though I dialled the 1-800 global transfer contact number on the AMEX website.

The only thing I was required to verbally provide was my existing card number and ID verification in the form of a passport, drivers license, etc. since I didn't have a SSN. I recently received an ITIN but they said they didn't need it (even though I insisted providing it so that I could build up a credit history under my ITIN number). No income verification or bank statement required...

At the end of the call, they ended up transferring me to the Global Transfer team to finalize the application but they didn't ask for any more info, only my existing card number again.

So now I have a US-based AMEX card being sent to my valid US address. My question is if AMEX doesn't have my ITIN on file, will I still be building up a credit history under my name, birthdate and US address, so that I can eventually apply for more "lucrative" cards in the future?
Yes they still report it to the credit bureaus.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:51 am

Has anyone successfully applied for AMEX Global Transfer from Australia to US? What was your experience and timelines like?No SSN, No ITIN.
Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
I personally been contemplating on getting the AMEX DE but their point system is horrible.

I also live in Germany but still keeping my Canadian AMEX, but I only use it to pay for flights here as its very difficult to find places that accepts AMEX in Germany unless it's a big store.

As for M&M in Germany I think they only have a deal with MC. However in Switzerland they have both AMEX and MC M&M. But who knows maybe next year AMEX DE might partner with LH, as it stands they are experementing together to get give AMEX Plat & Cent LH Lounge access in Munich and Frankfurt.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
I personally been contemplating on getting the AMEX DE but their point system is horrible.

I also live in Germany but still keeping my Canadian AMEX, but I only use it to pay for flights here as its very difficult to find places that accepts AMEX in Germany unless it's a big store.

As for M&M in Germany I think they only have a deal with MC. However in Switzerland they have both AMEX and MC M&M. But who knows maybe next year AMEX DE might partner with LH, as it stands they are experementing together to get give AMEX Plat & Cent LH Lounge access in Munich and Frankfurt.
The DE card market in general looks pretty dire! The Hilton VISA card looks the best value for money option. I might get a DE Amex though, as the 2:1 rewards to PayBack points is no worse than having an Amex PayBack card, and Payback points map directly to Miles and More I think? I can also at a later date get the LH FTL credit card, and then I have a MC I can use in places that don't take Amex (like TK Maxx, or Kaufland) and still get some points from it.

Last edited by mia; Aug 16, 2018 at 7:37 am Reason: Cleanup after COPYING post from another thread.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Is there a minimum term that someone should have held their Amex for before doing a global transfer? I got my UK Plat at the end of March this year, but now need a German Amex.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have a German and a UK Amex. I agree that the transfer ratio for MR is not the greatest, but for those cards that have a FX fee, this is often so high that it wipes out any gain on the better transfers. Overall I'm quite happy with German Amex and will shortly be ditching the UK card. As I have reported elsewhere, getting the German card on the strength of my UK relationship was a piece of cake. From application to card in hand was a few weeks, no questions or issues.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
for those cards that have a FX fee, this is often so high that it wipes out any gain on the better transfers.
Because of the 2.99% FX fee, it would be cheaper paying the DE €60 a month Plat fee than I currently pay out in non-sterling transactions.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
To be eligible for a new Card in the country you are moving to, your existing Card must be issued by American Express, you must be the primary Cardholder, and have held the Card for at least 3 months. Your Card Account must be open and in good standing at the time of your application. If the Card was previously cancelled by you, it must have been cancelled within the last 3 months. American Express Corporate Cards and American Express Cards issued by Banks other than an American Express Bank are not eligible through this Card application process.
https://www.americanexpress.com/glob...countries.html
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mackle

Because of the 2.99% FX fee, it would be cheaper paying the DE €60 a month Plat fee than I currently pay out in non-sterling transactions.
€60 per month? €600 per annum!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
€60 per month?
€600 per annum!
I am sure I saw somewhere on the Amex DE site that you can pay monthly instead of annually?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.