FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   using amex to pay tuition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/960154-using-amex-pay-tuition.html)

sbm12 Jun 3, 2009 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 11847005)
lol i have 2 goals before i graduate: 1) get a rolex (cliche i know) 2) get cent card.

Why? :confused:

xolinlevh Jun 3, 2009 6:37 pm

why not? :)

sbm12 Jun 3, 2009 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 11852134)
why not? :)

I could think of many, many, many things I would rather do with the cash outlay. The vast majority of them involve actually doing something other than buying a piece of jewelery.

NickW Jun 3, 2009 10:48 pm

That's two pieces of jewellry; one for the wrist, one for the wallet!

Let these things be the side effects of achieving success; not your definitions thereof.

xolinlevh Jun 3, 2009 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by NickW (Post 11853213)
That's two pieces of jewellry; one for the wrist, one for the wallet!

Let these things be the side effects of achieving success; not your definitions thereof.

well rolex is easy enough for anyone to get, but the cent card i cant get till im successful, which prob wont happen till after college...unless i invent the new youtube or something before that....

J-FLyer Jun 5, 2009 10:41 am

Aim for the stars ^ but a watch and a black piece of plastic :td:

dcmike Jun 5, 2009 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by J-FLyer (Post 11860746)
Aim for the stars ^ but a watch and a black piece of plastic :td:

Metal :D

But I agree!

scubadu Jun 6, 2009 5:50 am

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 11847005)
lol i have 2 goals before i graduate: 1) get a rolex (cliche i know) 2) get cent card. the first one i can do, second one...far less likely to happen!

I had a couple "crazy" goals before graduating college too:

1) Get a good job (done)

2) Eliminate ALL debt with the exception of possibly a small mortgage (done)

3) Buy a house far below my financial means (done)

4) Pack away as much as legally allowed in the various finanancial retirement vehicles available to me on an annual basis (ongoing, but on track)

The fancy credit card, travel, and a few material "nice to haves" came much, much further down the line...

Regards

xolinlevh Jun 6, 2009 10:06 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 11864047)
I had a couple "crazy" goals before graduating college too:

1) Get a good job (done)

2) Eliminate ALL debt with the exception of possibly a small mortgage (done)

3) Buy a house far below my financial means (done)

4) Pack away as much as legally allowed in the various finanancial retirement vehicles available to me on an annual basis (ongoing, but on track)

The fancy credit card, travel, and a few material "nice to haves" came much, much further down the line...

Regards

nice :) well ive got the first one done, seccodn one will be done by time next year starts. other 2 not so much on my list

scubadu Jun 6, 2009 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 11864751)
nice :) well ive got the first one done, seccodn one will be done by time next year starts. other 2 not so much on my list

That's great too hear. Sounds like you are on the right track.

BTW, on the "second" one, when I said "ALL debt" I meant student loans too. You mean that as well right?

Additionally, I'm sorry to hear #4 isn't on your list. If FT is still around by then, let us know how that's workin' for ya'

Regards

xolinlevh Jun 6, 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 11865140)

BTW, on the "second" one, when I said "ALL debt" I meant student loans too. You mean that as well right?

Additionally, I'm sorry to hear #4 isn't on your list. If FT is still around by then, let us know how that's workin' for ya'

Regards

oops yea just noticed that typo, wrote that rather quick this morning. nah student loans are gonna take a good while longer to pay off. i was referring to credit cards, which i dont have a huge amount on but just want it all gone before next semester, rather not have to worry about it ya know? and for #4, i already have some retirement thing my grampa set up for me, him and my dad deal with the long term finances lol, im much more short sighted.

chriswufgator Jun 6, 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 11865140)

Regards

Well now in fairness, that depends on his interest rates. A lot of those student loans are at 4% or whatever, it doesn't make any sense to pay those off because you can earn more investing the money elsewhere. Especially as the market continues rebounding, you'd be silly to pay off low-interest debt when you can be making a greater return elsewhere.

scubadu Jun 6, 2009 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 11865150)
oops yea just noticed that typo, wrote that rather quick this morning. nah student loans are gonna take a good while longer to pay off. i was referring to credit cards, which i dont have a huge amount on but just want it all gone before next semester, rather not have to worry about it ya know? and for #4, i already have some retirement thing my grampa set up for me, him and my dad deal with the long term finances lol, im much more short sighted.

Right... So when I said "Eliminate ALL debt with the exception of possibly a small mortgage " I actually meant ALL forms of debt period, with the exception of a small mortgage, not just "credit cards." Said more succinctly, I owe no one money except the mortgage company, period.

Let us know someday how that "retirement thing" works out.

Regards

dinosims Jun 6, 2009 5:23 pm

I realize that starting early is the key to financial success in the long run, but be easy on xolinlevh. For some people student debt is their only option in order to get a degree that will more than pay for itself in the long run. I do agree though that buying a rolex and paying annual fees on a Cent card isn't the best use of his money (especially when he could be paying down some debt), but don't berate him just for having the student debt and not planning for retirement (which is pretty much impossible if you're still in college with no income and paying off loans).

xolinlevh Jun 6, 2009 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by dinosims (Post 11866157)
I realize that starting early is the key to financial success in the long run, but be easy on xolinlevh. For some people student debt is their only option in order to get a degree that will more than pay for itself in the long run. I do agree though that buying a rolex and paying annual fees on a Cent card isn't the best use of his money (especially when he could be paying down some debt), but don't berate him just for having the student debt and not planning for retirement (which is pretty much impossible if you're still in college with no income and paying off loans).

thank you...and honestly thinking about retirement as a college student is just a tad on the depressing side...