Canadian Centurion

Old Oct 19, 18, 2:11 am

Oddly enough, I got my own answer and am upgraded also. Excellent.
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:06 pm

Any Canadians out there received a Centurion invite lately? According to my sources, the program is currently closed in Canada and invites are not going out. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:11 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by theultimate View Post
Any Canadians out there received a Centurion invite lately? According to my sources, the program is currently closed in Canada and invites are not going out. Any thoughts?
I am not a Centurion card holder. I did reach out to the Centurion staff last fall (2018) that I have known since 2014 (that year I breached the required threshold 200,000 but didn't get an invite). They also say the program is closed with no invites being sent out in 2018. I told her if they need a quota in 2019 send me an invite because I now charge only to maximize value (ie no more 200,000 on a single card) over various brands of cards. That time I was switching my personal Plat card to Business Plat for the welcome bonus without having to change the "membership since" date.

If Centurion staff is reporting correctly saying there won't be any invitations for 2019 as well (ie two consecutive years of no invitations), then it's possible they reached max capacity and doesn't need to grow anymore. I think invitations and approvals gets loose when there is a recession - that's when AMEX need the profits and more willing to dilute existing users.

Last edited by yeunganson; Jan 8, 19 at 8:47 pm
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson View Post
I am not a Centurion card holder. I did reach out to the Centurion staff last fall (2018) that I have known since 2014 (that year I breached the required threshold but didn't get an invite). They also say the program is closed with no invites being sent out in 2018. I told her if they need a quota in 2019 send me an invite. That time I was witching my personal Plat card to Business Plat for the welcome bonus without having to change the "membership since" date.
Interesting. I did about $150k in 2017 but $300k in 2018 on my personal Platinum so I was hoping 2019 might be the year. I know there are lots of posts on this forum that say you need to spend way more than the reported $250k, but given that it's Canada (and not USA) I have a feeling the requirements are not that high.
Old Jan 11, 19, 8:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by theultimate View Post
I recently heard something similar from multiple contacts within Amex. I was told that they are focusing on “relaunching” the Centurion program in Canada.

Based on the information in this thread and my connections I believe I am well qualified for the card, but that does not matter as they are currently not issuing invitations.

(My post applies to the personal Centuion.)
Old Feb 18, 19, 9:32 am

Cent vs. Plat MR

anyone else wondering why Pats get 2* MR for Travel and 3* MR for dining while Cents get a blanket of 1.25????
Old Feb 18, 19, 9:38 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Some Canadian Platinum cardholders seem to think that giving up 1.25 points on all spending for the travel and dining multipliers is not an improvement.
Clipper801 likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: AMX CENT
NSX Test Drive

Anyone get invited to the NSX track event earlier this week? Someone said an email invite went out last week. Must have been targeted.

Last edited by alveoli0; May 23, 19 at 2:26 pm Reason: added content
Old May 24, 19, 9:17 am

Programs: AMX CENT, PLAT IHG, R&C 5C, ACCOR PLAT, HH DIA, BONVOY GOLD, MO PLAT,
Originally Posted by alveoli0 View Post
Anyone get invited to the NSX track event earlier this week? Someone said an email invite went out last week. Must have been targeted.
Did not get anything on this.....clearly targeted.
Old Nov 1, 19, 12:38 am

Well, looks like the US refresh is in place and fees have doubled...definitely more enhancements in place...looking forward to seeing what is in store for Canada...

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-c....Amexcenturion
Old Nov 1, 19, 12:52 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by yyz-kin View Post
Well, looks like the US refresh is in place and fees have doubled...definitely more enhancements in place...looking forward to seeing what is in store for Canada...

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-c....Amexcenturion
The US enhancements doubling the fees. The annual fee goes up to $US 5000 with an initialization fee of $us 10000.

If they bring similar enhancements to Canada, do we have the population that can both qualify and willing to pony up those annual fees. $usd 5000 is like a decent 5 day - 1 week vacation. Will I get more happiness in forgoing that for the enhanced benifit from the new card 🤔
Old Nov 7, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: SPG, QF,
HH Diamond, no SPG Platinum for Centurion AU - only get gold SPG/Bonvoy...
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:22 pm

Anyone take advantage of the 500 Duty Free Statement Credit?
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:03 am

I was passing through YYZ to Mexico the morning after I received the e-mail. I was so excited to use the offer but my friggin plane was delayed, which resulted in a mad dash from domestic to international only to barely make final boarding call . No time to stop, ugh.

Out of curiosity... Let's say you buy something duty free leaving Canada at YYZ. When you come back you have to pay duties/taxes on it correct? Even if Canada is your home country?
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:51 am

Programs: AC*E, DL Gold Medallion, HH Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
I did in the transborder duty free shop at Pearson T1 just after Christmas. The shop is very small due to renovations, but the statement credit posted in about 4 days.

Search this Thread