Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
This is an interesting piece on weather the 5 limit is gone. I have always wondered if this limit was upsetting their partners like Delta, SPG, Hilton. Because of the 5 CC cap, I don't have any of their Delta cards and was debating between getting an Ascend business or the yet to be launched SPG/MAR luxury card.
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...rd-limit-gone/
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
This is an interesting piece on weather the 5 limit is gone. I have always wondered if this limit was upsetting their partners like Delta, SPG, Hilton. Because of the 5 CC cap, I don't have any of their Delta cards and was debating between getting an Ascend business or the yet to be launched SPG/MAR luxury card.
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...rd-limit-gone/
DP:
I have 5 AMex credit cards. Few days ago, applied for the Amex SPG Business card, and was denied due to max # of credit cards. Amex called and asked me to close an existing card. I agreed and was approved for the SPG card.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:08 pm

Well, I'm testing the Amex Personal Credit Card limit right now.

Since I can't convert my Delta card to the SPG Luxury card, I had no choice but to apply. Got the "14 day" notice in the end. I might wait it out, or I might call recon.

Thanks to the Citi -> Amex Hilton transition, I'm already at 6 personal credit cards (more if you count biz).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Have 4 credit cards & 1 charge card. All accounts current with no blemishes but all applied & approved within last 12months. Got the 1st one in Oct, then Dec, Jan (2) and then April. Want to apply for the business Gold rewards card and sitting on the fence about whether its too early. Need MR's
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Have 4 credit cards & 1 charge card. All accounts current with no blemishes but all applied & approved within last 12months. Got the 1st one in Oct, then Dec, Jan (2) and then April. Want to apply for the business Gold rewards card and sitting on the fence about whether its too early. Need MR's
You may have wait quite a while if you want a signup bonus. Since you applied for the last card, Amex instituted this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html

But you can try your luck at whatever point you wish and see if you get that dreaded popup or not.

The Business Gold Rewards card is a charge card, not a credit card, so the 4-or-5 credit card limit would not apply.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:24 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Just got a call from AmEx regarding my Biz card application. Its limit for "Credit" card is 5, personal and business combined. I had to close the NAF Hilton card to open this credit card on the Biz side. None of the "charge" cards count.

This kills my options to upgrade the NAF Hilton card. I may just re-apply when I want.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I have 7.
5 Credit, 2 charge
I have 2 credit that are business. Just recently I applied for the Delta Platinum Business and was told I had reached my limit so I closed my personal Gold Delta and got this one instead. About 2 weeks later (last friday or so ) I applied for the PRG and got approved bringing my grand total of Amex cards to 7.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by miadukes
I have 7.
5 Credit, 2 charge
I have 2 credit that are business. Just recently I applied for the Delta Platinum Business and was told I had reached my limit so I closed my personal Gold Delta and got this one instead. About 2 weeks later (last friday or so ) I applied for the PRG and got approved bringing my grand total of Amex cards to 7.
Since the PRG is a charge card, you are still within the 5 credit card limit.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Since the PRG is a charge card, you are still within the 5 credit card limit.
Yes, thats the only reason I applied for it cuz I kew it would not be a problem.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Southwest, Delta, Choice Privileges, Marriott, Best Western
Just a data point here. My mother has only two AxEx cards (both Hiltons, from last Dec/Jan). I did a referral to her to get the Delta Gold card and when she applied she got the "not eligible for bonus" message.

She just used the Hilton cards enough to get the sign-on bonuses, if that matters.

Not happy.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoffmisc
Just a data point here. My mother has only two AxEx cards (both Hiltons, from last Dec/Jan). I did a referral to her to get the Delta Gold card and when she applied she got the "not eligible for bonus" message.

She just used the Hilton cards enough to get the sign-on bonuses, if that matters.

Not happy.
Her situation has nothing to do with how many cards she has (which is what this thread is about). The thread below is the one about the situation she's in:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:49 pm

Max number of AMEX cards

Any updated data points for max number of AMEX credit cards? Is it 5? Or more?
I want to apply for Blue for Business Plus for company #2 . I currently have
2 Charge cards (Platinum and Gold personal cards)
5 Credit cards
- Everyday
- Bonvoy Brilliant
- Bonvoy Business (company 1)
- Delta Platinum (company 1)
- Platinum credit card (company 2; product no longer offered)
I called to cancel Platinum credit card (not using much, not good benefits) before I applied for BB+ because I have heard that AMEX only allows for max 5 credit cards. CSR said that there is no such max and that I have an invitation to apply for 4 other cards, that I've had AMEX for 30+ years. But I don't want to apply for BB+ as 6th card then not get approved and get dinged for an hard inquiry.
Anyone out there have success with 5+ AMEX credit cards?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by 247traveler
Any updated data points for max number of AMEX credit cards? Is it 5? Or more?
I want to apply for Blue for Business Plus for company #2 . I currently have
2 Charge cards (Platinum and Gold personal cards)
5 Credit cards
- Everyday
- Bonvoy Brilliant
- Bonvoy Business (company 1)
- Delta Platinum (company 1)
- Platinum credit card (company 2; product no longer offered)
I called to cancel Platinum credit card (not using much, not good benefits) before I applied for BB+ because I have heard that AMEX only allows for max 5 credit cards. CSR said that there is no such max and that I have an invitation to apply for 4 other cards, that I've had AMEX for 30+ years. But I don't want to apply for BB+ as 6th card then not get approved and get dinged for an hard inquiry.
Anyone out there have success with 5+ AMEX credit cards?
If you hit the limit they normally call you to tell you that you need to close one credit card in order to get the new product (they don't outright deny the app). Since you are already willing to close the Platinum Business you should just apply and if they call you can just close it or it will go through and that'll be it. On the inquiry side, I know it's not guaranteed, but I can't remember the last time Amex actually pulled my credit for an app since I'm already a customer. It looks like you've been a customer for a while so there's a [good] chance you don't get a hp for this app.
247traveler likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Is the Amazon Prime AMEX card considered the same as a Delta or Hilton...etc., in terms of their co-branded status and would be considered the same as those in terms of the 5-card limit? Hope that makes sense. I seen to recall there were degrees of AMEX co-branded cards; that some just had the "AMEX" name on it but weren't fully partnered with them or something to that effect. But then again, my recall isn't total. More like "barely".
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by IDM79
I.... some just had the "AMEX" name on it but weren't fully partnered.....
There are Amex network cards issued by other banks, but the Amazon cards are issued by American Express. I cannot think of any reason they would not count against the limit, but I have no direct knowledge.
IDM79 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.