Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

Can I exceed 4 AMEX credit cards with a targeted offer?

I have received a targeted offer for an AMEX credit card. I already have 4 AMEX credit cards. I understand that 4 is the limit that AMEX allows. Will AMEX allow me an additional card given that it is a targeted offer?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I'm not certain if the targeted offer will make a difference but there are several DPs on other forums where AMEX has allowed people to have 5 credit cards (I presume you know that credit cards and charge cards are not the same and are not counted the same.) There doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern to it - from what I've read - but just a YMMV. Some get a max of 4, some get a max of 5.

You didn't ask but there are also several instances where people with four cards applied, got denied, then called recon to cancel one of their existing cards in order to obtain approval for the new app. That may or may not be an option you'd wish to consider.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:52 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Unhappy

I had 1 amex card, Within the last 3 to 4 months I have applied for and received 6 more, for a total of 7. I had not realized there is a limit. Was also hoping to apply in January for the new Aspire card if the sign up bonus is good. I sure hope there isn't a problem. .
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mav
... a total of 7. I had not realized there is a limit. ...
How many of those are charge cards? Not sure? See the Wikipost for an explanation. (-OR- Amex network cards issued by another bank?)

Last edited by mia; Nov 21, 2017 at 1:58 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mav
I had 1 amex card, Within the last 3 to 4 months I have applied for and received 6 more, for a total of 7. I had not realized there is a limit. Was also hoping to apply in January for the new Aspire card if the sign up bonus is good. I sure hope there isn't a problem. .
There is a limit on credit cards; there is no limit to charge cards. I suspect you have a mixture of the two.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have received a targeted offer for an AMEX credit card. I already have 4 AMEX credit cards. I understand that 4 is the limit that AMEX allows. Will AMEX allow me an additional card given that it is a targeted offer?
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'm not certain if the targeted offer will make a difference but there are several DPs on other forums where AMEX has allowed people to have 5 credit cards (I presume you know that credit cards and charge cards are not the same and are not counted the same.) There doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern to it - from what I've read - but just a YMMV. Some get a max of 4, some get a max of 5.

You didn't ask but there are also several instances where people with four cards applied, got denied, then called recon to cancel one of their existing cards in order to obtain approval for the new app. That may or may not be an option you'd wish to consider.
Far upthread by now, but earlier this year the Amex computer denied me because it though the limit was 4, but the first human I talked to said the limit was 5 so resubmitted my application and it got approved. So even for the same person the limit may be different (4 vs 5) depending on who/what is evaluating the limit?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:31 pm

AMEX card count

Need helping on deciding if I should close an account now or wait until applying for a new card.

I currently have 5 active AMEX card and would like to apply for the New Hilton card in 2018 (the one with Diamond Status). The amount of cards I currently have may impact my approval status for the new card. Should I cancel the Hilton card right now in hope that in 2018, I will be approve for the new card or should I just apply in 2018 and let Amex contact me to decide on which card to close?

Current card:
SPG
Hilton
Hilton Surpass
Delta Gold Personal
Delta Gold Business

Any recommendation on which card to cancel?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ponickka
Any recommendation on which card to cancel?
What is the benefit to holding two Delta or Hilton cards?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
For AMEX offers?

Though I too, wonder why the poster would have 2 cards in each cobrand. Does not seem to serve any purpose other than the sign up bonuses and with the current T&Cs, that cards canceled within 12 months after opened, risk the bonus being clawed back or the review by the RAT.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by mia
There is none i want to say. I signed up for them months back for the sign-on bonuses. I do enjoy using my status and the points from hilton. I am saving up the Delta points for 2018 summer trip.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ponickka
There is none i want to say. I signed up for them months back for the sign-on bonuses. I do enjoy using my status and the points from hilton. I am saving up the Delta points for 2018 summer trip.
With the new T&C languages on cracking down the churning, cards opened and canceled within 12 months are risking bonus claw back. So you are in a tough position on which card to cancel. Though I suspect canceling the HH Blue while keeping the HH surpass should not cause any harm given there are enough reasons to justify the cancellation of the basic card and you are still paying AMEX for the fee card.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If a card account is over a year old, you could just ask Amex to upgrade it to the higher class card.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:10 pm

I understand that Business Cards count toward 5 Credit Card Limit. But how about employee card? In addition to my 3 personal cards, I have Simply Cash Business and Delta Gold Business, both are employee cards. Are they count and effect my 5 card limit?

Last edited by ttsai; Jan 16, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:35 pm

Let's assume you are at Amex's limit for cards, and you want to close one and then apply for another. How long do you have to wait after cancelling to apply? Would one day do it? Cancel today, assume Amex's systems run overnight to recognize the new card count and then I should be able to apply tomorrow?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3
Let's assume you are at Amex's limit for cards, and you want to close one and then apply for another. How long do you have to wait after cancelling to apply? Would one day do it? Cancel today, assume Amex's systems run overnight to recognize the new card count and then I should be able to apply tomorrow?
I'm not sure what timing works perfectly, but OTOH, if you don't close, and get denied simply because you've over the limit, in a recon call you can negotiate closing an existing card to be approved for the new card. I believe several people upthread have reported on doing something like that. And doing it that way doesn't require wondering about how long to wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.