Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mia
This is the behavior that American Express is trying to discourage. Whether you do it once, or repeatedly, it is unprofitable, .
​​​​​Unprofitable even if I pay the AF year after year? Mind as well not even offering a SUB in the first place then. I got nothing to apologize for. I think Chase's approach is better. Just base it off the total amount of CL offered.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 2:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
​​​​​Unprofitable even if I pay the AF year after year? .....
No, but many people who apply for the purpose of receiving a bonus cancel after the first year. Policies are made based on aggregate data, not individual behavior.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
No, but many people who apply for the purpose of receiving a bonus cancel after the first year. Policies are made based on aggregate data, not individual behavior.
Like I said, Chase and Citi seem to be more reasonable than AMEX, but that's my opinion.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Corporate or personal business it doesn’t matter, the green card is a charge card not a credit (lending) card.
It doesn't matter what it is, it matters how Amex counts it:

Amex counting the Green Card as a credit product?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
I currently have 4 and they all serve different purpose:
  • Personal and Business SPG: 30 night credit
  • AMEX Platinum: For lounge access
  • AMEX Gold: 4x on grocery and restaurant spend
Also have my Corporate Card and possibly thinking of adding a 5th one for DL Reserve
I have a similar setup sans Gold (Mrs. B has the Gold and pays for dinner and groceries )

In addition I have:
  • AMEX Blue Business Plus: for 2x points on everyday spend
  • Amex Hilton Aspire: for free night (may dump)
So I guess that puts me at 4 credit cards + 1 charge card, assuming both the biz cards count as credit. Another reason to dump Hilton.

Would be great if I could reallocate CL from personal to biz but not sure if that is permissible.

Originally Posted by ringbark
This is something that has been puzzling me for a while, and it's time to ask the question. Why could anyone possibly want FIVE American Express cards?
!
I know this question was posed over a decade ago. I think the most obvious answer is that most of us hold multiple cards for the perks and spend (this can vary depending on your travel patterns) plus we need a couple of slots to rotate cards for sign-up bonuses (SUB). I certainly don't plan to keep paying the AFs once I have achieved my objectives, except for a couple. The free nights are diminishing in value thanks to hotel devaluations and the other perks are of little value once you hit lifetime status.

Last edited by Boraxo; Nov 3, 2021 at 11:36 pm
Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have a similar setup sans Gold (Mrs. B has the Gold and pays for dinner and groceries )

In addition I have:
So I guess that puts me at 4 credit cards + 1 charge card, assuming both the biz cards count as credit. Another reason to dump Hilton.

Would be great if I could reallocate CL from personal to biz but not sure if that is permissible.
No.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:35 am
mia

Login to americanexpress.com > Select one of your CREDIT card accounts > Account Services > Payment & Credit Options > Transfer Available Credit to Another Card

American Express will allow us to transfer credit from a personal account to a business account, but not in the other direction. There isn't much benefit to transferring credit to a Blue Business Plus account, unless it has a very low limit, because it explicitly allows purchases to exceed the revolving limit.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:48 am

In addition I have:

I know this question was posed over a decade ago. I think the most obvious answer is that most of us hold multiple cards for the perks and spend (this can vary depending on your travel patterns) plus we need a couple of slots to rotate cards for sign-up bonuses (SUB). I certainly don't plan to keep paying the AFs once I have achieved my objectives, except for a couple. The free nights are diminishing in value thanks to hotel devaluations and the other perks are of little value once you hit lifetime status.
No, but you can move statement credits around. I accidentally did a balance transfer on the wrong card. Had 7k negative balance on biz platinum. Had 10k balance on Schwab platinum. Moved that 7k to the shwab and now just 3 k balance. Fast and easy.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Login to americanexpress.com > Select one of your CREDIT card accounts > Account Services > Payment & Credit Options > Transfer Available Credit to Another Card

American Express will allow us to transfer credit from a personal account to a business account, but not in the other direction. There isn't much benefit to transferring credit to a Blue Business Plus account, unless it has a very low limit, because it explicitly allows purchases to exceed the revolving limit.
Thanks, but the online services only shows my personal accounts in the drop-down box for "transfer from" and "transfer to"
I seem to recall making a call last year and being told it was not possible to go personal->business but maybe you have other experience?

Yes, my business accounts both have rather small CLs (given the "projected income") compared to my personal accounts, but BlueBiz+ is my top card for spend as it provides the best ROI for non-bonus everyday spend. Yes, I can exceed the limit but I prefer not to do so regularly.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:20 pm
mia

...only shows my personal accounts in the drop-down box.
It appears that the cards need to be managed from the same online account. If you have separate personal and Business Usernames you can easily move Blue Business Plus to the personal Username: Account Services > Card Management > Add a card to online management. (You may need to first Remove it from the other Username, I do not remember.)
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Is the limit still 4 credit cards per the wiki? I only ask because there are several blog posts on various forums from 2021 and 2022 that say the limit is back up to 5.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Is the limit still 4 credit cards per the wiki? I only ask because there are several blog posts on various forums from 2021 and 2022 that say the limit is back up to 5.
I have had 5 CCs for a while now. This may be a YMMV kind of thing. If you have a good score and good history with AMEX, it should be fine.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Does anyone know if Corporate (Green) cards count against the limit? I imagine not, but it does show under my account when I login.

Searching this thread, I see references to it going all the way back to 2010 (?!) but nothing really definitive recently.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Does anyone know if Corporate (Green) cards count against the limit? I imagine not, but it does show under my account when I login.
No. Charge cards, corp or otherwise, should not count against the 4 hard limit, or 5, 6, in some cases.
lsquare and Polytonic like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic

Searching this thread, I see references to it going all the way back to 2010 (?!) but nothing really definitive recently.
Originally Posted by Visconti
No. Charge cards, corp or otherwise, should not count against the 4 hard limit, or 5, 6, in some cases.
IIRC, I think AMEX allows up to 10 charge cards? I currently have three. I don't think AMEX's charge cards are as good as their CCs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.