Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Thanks and that's terrible policy. I would argue it's even worse than Chase's 5/24 policy. AMEX should just worry about the total credit limit given to each person rather than limiting the number of credit cards. They have a solid portfolio of credit cards. They should encourage people to sign up and make money from the annual fees. AMEX should be more like Citi.
Old May 19, 2020, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Straight from the horses mouth
Originally Posted by lsquare
Thanks and that's terrible policy. I would argue it's even worse than Chase's 5/24 policy. AMEX should just worry about the total credit limit given to each person rather than limiting the number of credit cards. They have a solid portfolio of credit cards. They should encourage people to sign up and make money from the annual fees. AMEX should be more like Citi.
I believe that this is more cardholder specific and YMMV as I was just auto approved for my 5th cc product (I know the difference and these 5 that I am counting are all credit and not charge products - which I also hold). Note that none of my cc products are/were a Citi Hilton transfer.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 3:46 pm

Currently have old SPG/Bonvoy, Delta Platinum, Hilton Aspire, Hilton Surpass as well as Amex Platinum. I literally just cleared the 2/90 limit and was looking to add the Hilton Honors card for 100k points. Saw the reporting on TPG/OMAAT but also saw that the policy may not be fully implemented. Gave it a shot and just got approved (literally right now) for the Hilton Honors making it my 5th cc.

edit: corrected typo
lsquare and TravelingZoomer like this.

Last edited by evo12; May 20, 2020 at 3:51 pm
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:05 am

I am at four lending cards — two personal and two biz — plus one charge (plat). I am considering applying for green. I think this is ok because it is a charge card but I am not clear if this works like chase where I need to be under 4 lending to get a new charge. Any data?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkar
I am at four lending cards — two personal and two biz — plus one charge (plat). I am considering applying for green. I think this is ok because it is a charge card but I am not clear if this works like chase where I need to be under 4 lending to get a new charge. Any data?
I think you’ll be fine for AMEX Green. Lending standard may be higher due to pandemic.
lkar likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I heard we should not cancel a card before the year. Do we based the year on application date or do we wait until the annual fee shows up on statement
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:30 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by happyvoid
I heard we should not cancel a card before the year. Do we based the year on application date or do we wait until the annual fee shows up on statement
Whichever is later, at the earliest. But in general, any closing of Amex cards runs the risk that Amex may blacklist you for future sign-up bonuses.
Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Does a USAA Rewards American Express card count toward AmEx card limits? (I’ve been told that USAA AmEx cards are issued by USAA, not by AmEx.) Thank you.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Does a USAA Rewards American Express card count toward AmEx card limits? (I’ve been told that USAA AmEx cards are issued by USAA, not by AmEx.) Thank you.
No. It doesn't count.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by happyvoid
Wait until the annual fee posts, then cancel (if that's what you want to do.)

Originally Posted by bgriff
Whichever is later, at the earliest. But in general, any closing of Amex cards runs the risk that Amex may blacklist you for future sign-up bonuses.
Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
I'm sorry but this is simply false information. I've closed many AMEX cards over the years (including one a month ago.)

I continue to be approved for cards, with sign-up bonuses attached, including a new card about two weeks after I closed a card last month.

One doesn't want to close any AMEX cards within the first year.....after that, there is no empirical evidence to suggest that closing a card after the first year results in a "blacklist". (And yes, I'm very familiar with the thread you linked.)
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Originally Posted by bgriff
I'm sorry but this is simply false information. I've closed many AMEX cards over the years (including one a month ago.)
How does the experience of one person make a claim of "runs the risk" false information? That makes no sense.

bgriff didn't claim it always causes a problem, or anything close to that. The phrase "runs the risk" doesn't say how big the risk is, just that there is some risk. So one person's datapoints, even several people's datapoints, cannot be enough to disprove some amount of risk. And the claim was further only that the risk was that Amex may blacklist, not that they will blacklist. Again, not disprovable with any small amount of datapoints, because the risk being claimed is just of a possibility.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
One doesn't want to close any AMEX cards within the first year.....after that, there is no empirical evidence to suggest that closing a card after the first year results in a "blacklist".
This matches my understanding.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
....not disprovable with any small amount of datapoints, because the risk being claimed is just of a possibility.
A non-falsifiable statement about something that might happen is simply speculation, and adds no value for decision making.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One doesn't want to close any AMEX cards within the first year.....after that, there is no empirical evidence to suggest that closing a card after the first year results in a "blacklist". (And yes, I'm very familiar with the thread you linked.)
Originally Posted by mia
It depends on the meaning of "first year".

Amex definitely verbally warns these days that they can do something (I don't know if it's quite "blacklisting" or not) to you if you close your card after having it many years, but in less than 12 months after getting a retention bonus. So that's nowhere near the "first year" of having the card, but it is within the "first year" of getting the most recent retention bonus.

Of course, they only seem to have started mentioning this left and right fairly recently, and presumably many people are taking their warning seriously, so I'm not sure when we'll have datapoints as to what Amex actually does in that situation (especially if the retention bonus is bonus Amex points which all get transferred out before the card is closed, in which case Amex can't just claw them back).
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:12 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by mia

A non-falsifiable statement about something that might happen is simply speculation, and adds no value for decision making.
There are plenty of stories in this thread of people getting the Amex pop-ups for reasons that don't appear to clearly tie to the known no-nos (cancelling a card within the first year or sock-drawering cards). That said there is also plenty of self-reporting of circumstances on FT that is unreliable at best. I was simply meaning to advise that caution and tempering of expectations is probably a good idea for any plans of SUB harvesting with Amex.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I can confirm that the card limit is now a hard 4. I cancelled an old DL card last month to apply for the Hilton Surpass with its increased signup bonus yesterday, and was denied. I called up the Amex CSR and she told me that the computer erroneously thought I had 4 lending cards since the computer thought my DL card was still open. After manual processing I got approved no problem. A little annoying because I was counting on using the instant number for some heavy spend today, but can wait until later in the week until the card comes
lax01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.