Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:54 am

What's the new limit of no. of AMEX *CREDIT* cards?

There's been sufficient DP to suggest that the limit of 4 *credit* (not charge) card is now a soft limit.

Do we have any idea on what the new limit on no. of credit card is?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Data point: I have 5 AmEx credit cards (4 Delta cards + AmEx Blue) and 2 charge cards (gold, plat). I was approved for one of the Delta cards within the last 2 months.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
There's been sufficient DP to suggest that the limit of 4 *credit* (not charge) card is now a soft limit.

Do we have any idea on what the new limit on no. of credit card is?
I looks like it may be YMMV. Ie, it may no longer be the same limit for everyone. Post 359 is from someone who seems to still have a limit of 4, while other recent posts from other people show they got up to 5.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:40 pm

I applied for Amex Hilton yesterday. Can I apply another Amex card (Amex green / Amex Ameriprise gold) today? I there any waiting like Citi/Chase on not to apply multiple cards within n number of days?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by xazwa
... any waiting like Citi/Chase on not to apply multiple cards within n number of days?
Read:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-same-day.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-days-usa.html
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:32 am

Just tried to apply for the Delta Platinum Business and was declined due to having 5 cards according to their computer system. But I have 4 credit cards (SPG person, Everyday Prefer, Hilton Honor and Delta Platinum Personal) and 2 charge cards (Mercedes Platinum, Business Gold). Have to close the Delta Platinum Person in order to get the application sent to reconsideration. Sure hope it gets approved otherwise it is a lot of hassle to cancel then reinstate the current delta card I have.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It seems I am one of the successful 5 credit card data points. I have a Blue, Everyday, and both SPGs (plus a Platinum). Applied for a Gold Delta card today and it wasn't auto approved, so I called in and expected to have to close one of them. After a few minute wait it was approved and was told the card would be expedited.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:41 pm

Thoughts on when is too soon to close an Amex card?

I currently have 4 Amex credit cards and 2 charge cards. I want the SPG Business card under the 35,000 point offer, but I was declined for having the maximum number of credit cards I'm allowed. (I know the rule is either 4 or 5; previously I was able to get a 5th, but now apparently I'm limited to 4).

Of the 4 credit cards, I want to keep 3 of them long term. The 4th I don't care about. In theory, I could close that card and re-apply for the SPG business card. However, credit card #4 is one I just opened in November. I met the spend right away, got the bonus and put it in the sock drawer.

My question is whether it would matter with Amex if I closed a card I've had for 3 months. With Citi that hasn't mattered, but I've been reluctant to do that sort of thing with Amex. Viewing this hobby as a marathon rather than a sprint, I want to improve the odds of staying out of any potential Amex penalty box. (Then again, I'm getting to the point where I've had most cards once already, so theoretically, it might not matter too much).

Does anyone have experience with rapidly closing Amex cards after getting the bonus and still consistently getting approved for more?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

Data point: was able to get 5 at one point, just got denied for a 5th yesterday

I've been cycling through a lot of Amex cards, and when the hard rule of 4 credit cards changed to a soft rule with some getting a 5th, I was able to do so. I had dropped back down to 4 quite a while ago. Then yesterday I applied for the SPG business card and got denied for having the maximum number of credit cards. So apparently, it's possible for the same person to end up on both sides of that soft rule at different points in time.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:05 pm

Related to my post above, is there a set period of time you have to wait after getting rejected by Amex to apply again? I just got declined for a 5th credit card. I've decided to close one of my four open cards to make room for the 5th. I think I remember reading that with Amex you should wait a week if you've been rejected for any reason. Is that accurate?

Last edited by LWT3; Feb 19, 2017 at 2:18 pm
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LWT3
I currently have 4 Amex credit cards and 2 charge cards. I want the SPG Business card under the 35,000 point offer, but I was declined for having the maximum number of credit cards I'm allowed. (I know the rule is either 4 or 5; previously I was able to get a 5th, but now apparently I'm limited to 4).

Of the 4 credit cards, I want to keep 3 of them long term. The 4th I don't care about. In theory, I could close that card and re-apply for the SPG business card. However, credit card #4 is one I just opened in November. I met the spend right away, got the bonus and put it in the sock drawer.

My question is whether it would matter with Amex if I closed a card I've had for 3 months. With Citi that hasn't mattered, but I've been reluctant to do that sort of thing with Amex. Viewing this hobby as a marathon rather than a sprint, I want to improve the odds of staying out of any potential Amex penalty box. (Then again, I'm getting to the point where I've had most cards once already, so theoretically, it might not matter too much).

Does anyone have experience with rapidly closing Amex cards after getting the bonus and still consistently getting approved for more?
I do not have experience (or an opinion) on this, but couldn't you just tell them that you'd rather have the SPG card and so need to close your most recent account? That seems reasonable.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
Related to my post above, is there a set period of time you have to wait after getting rejected by Amex to apply again? I just got declined for a 5th credit card. I've decided to close one of my four open cards to make room for the 5th. I think I remember reading that with Amex you should wait a week if you've been rejected for any reason. Is that accurate?
My post really shouldn't have been merged into the 4 credit card limit thread. The question is whether closing a card within a short time -- 3 months -- will have adverse consequences with Amex. That question has general applicability regardless of their motivation for wanting to close a card quickly. The 4 cc limit is one possible motivation, but not the only one.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I applied last night for Blue for Business under the great expiring offer, got a pending as I have 5 CCs. I planned to close my BCP and downgraded it to BCE. Got a call from the new app department today explaining I had the max number of lending cards (5). I told them I wanted to close the now BCE and use that CL on the new Blue for Business. Done!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:25 pm

I have 5 Amex cards (Gold Premiere, Plat MB, Hilton, Delta Plat, EveryDay Pref), 2 Business (Plat Business, SPG Business) and 1 Macy's Amex.

Oh, and am an AU on the Blue Pref, and several other Amex cards (that I hardly ever use) that belong to my spouse.

I think I have a full house.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lbotez
I have 5 Amex cards (Gold Premiere, Plat MB, Hilton, Delta Plat, EveryDay Pref), 2 Business (Plat Business, SPG Business) and 1 Macy's Amex.
Only four of these are credit cards: Hilton, Delta, Everyday, SPG. (The Macy's card is not issued by American Express.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.