Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: A few
crimson12 I do not think it is bogus. I have come up against a new limit with Amex on my last two app-o-ramas. They appear to now limit it you to four credit cards. So charge cards like Platinum, Premier Rewards Gold etc do not count. But looking at your list you have 2 x Delta and 2 x Starwood credit cards (cards not requiring payment in full at the end of each month) and as such I think you have reached the limit.

I wrote about this here and here

If you are willing to close one of the cards I mention above they will likely approve you for the new card
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by JFKLAX321
AMEX tends to just throw out the "max number of cards" argument whenever they decide you have "the max" they're willing to issue to you. I have had 4 personal cards at the same time before, but AMEX also thinks I've been a "member since" 7 years before I was born.
The membership date is I assume the result of you being added as an authorized user of a parent's Amex. Amex says you were a member since the primary cardholder you are an AU on was a member since, which as you point out can be before you were born.

For someone young looking to build credit being added to a parent's Amex as an AU is a very good leg-up
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
crimson12 I do not think it is bogus. I have come up against a new limit with Amex on my last two app-o-ramas. They appear to now limit it you to four credit cards. So charge cards like Platinum, Premier Rewards Gold etc do not count. But looking at your list you have 2 x Delta and 2 x Starwood credit cards (cards not requiring payment in full at the end of each month) and as such I think you have reached the limit.

If you are willing to close one of the cards I mention above they will likely approve you for the new card
Thanks. I guess i will offer to close one of the Delta cards Do i have to close a business card to get a new business card? Also, have people generally had success offering to close one card to geta new one?

I suppose this means i would have to close a second card if i wanted to get the 65k Hilton card?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by crimson12
Thanks. I guess i will offer to close one of the Delta cards Do i have to close a business card to get a new business card? Also, have people generally had success offering to close one card to geta new one?

I suppose this means i would have to close a second card if i wanted to get the 65k Hilton card?
I have yet to see them differentiate business and personal, not saying they don't but I have not seen it. And yes if you want more credit cards you will have to close more credit cards.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:37 pm

Having Multiple American Express Cards (Curiousity Questions)

I'm only going to seek my 3rd one in 3 years, so don't think I will have a problem getting another. Just wondering if my CL will be split again. I had the Delta Gold for a couple years before upgrading to the Platinum this year. My CL is pretty high and a few months ago I acquired the SPG card. AE automatically split my CL, not quite evenly, but about 60-40. I'm thinking of the Hilton AE before the November 30 deadline. Will they split my CL by 3? Not a big deal as I only spend what I can pay off in a month. I'm not concerned, just curious!

Also, AE cards say member since xx. In my case, 09. When I got the SPG a few months ago, it says member since 09. I usually see my fako credit report every 3-4 months. Well, it looks to me that my newly opened card appears as if I had it for almost 3 years. Does anyone know if that newly added card will be calculated as 3 years in the Avg Age of Open Credit Lines? I do Credit Karma's credit report card deal and looks like it might, but then again I'm not good at math.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jt58203
I'm only going to seek my 3rd one in 3 years, so don't think I will have a problem getting another. Just wondering if my CL will be split again. I had the Delta Gold for a couple years before upgrading to the Platinum this year. My CL is pretty high and a few months ago I acquired the SPG card. AE automatically split my CL, not quite evenly, but about 60-40. I'm thinking of the Hilton AE before the November 30 deadline. Will they split my CL by 3? Not a big deal as I only spend what I can pay off in a month. I'm not concerned, just curious!

Also, AE cards say member since xx. In my case, 09. When I got the SPG a few months ago, it says member since 09. I usually see my fako credit report every 3-4 months. Well, it looks to me that my newly opened card appears as if I had it for almost 3 years. Does anyone know if that newly added card will be calculated as 3 years in the Avg Age of Open Credit Lines? I do Credit Karma's credit report card deal and looks like it might, but then again I'm not good at math.

I cant answer the CL question, I've had Amex since 1997 and they seem to give me a different credit limit for the revolving credit limit cards that I do have. They do offer you the ability to physically move around your credit limits between your cards if you so choose. Regarding the Member Since date, that date will always read the date that you received your first card. I haven't paid much attention to my credit report to see if my open dates are all the same, perhaps someone else can address that.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:11 am

Yes Amex is well known in that all cards are reported as being open from the date you first got an Amex card. This can even be made to apply to an authorized user where you can literally have a credit report showing you have had an Amex since before you were born (e.g. Dad has been Amex member for 20 years, adds 18 year old son as authorized user, son now has a card showing open date 20 years ago)

This is a good trick for building a long credit history very quickly
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:36 pm

... This can even be made to apply to an authorized user where you can literally have a credit report showing you have had an Amex since before you were born (e.g. Dad has been Amex member for 20 years, adds 18 year old son as authorized user, son now has a card showing open date 20 years ago)

This is a good trick for building a long credit history very quickly
FYI, this is no longer true for authorized users. They get a trade line on their CR but it is no longer backdated. Furthermore, the AU card has the current year as 'Member Since'.

This is my experience in January 2012 so it's been at least since then. YMMV
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by contactcr
FYI, this is no longer true for authorized users. They get a trade line on their CR but it is no longer backdated. Furthermore, the AU card has the current year as 'Member Since'.

This is my experience in January 2012 so it's been at least since then. YMMV
no you can call Amex credit and they will backdate it. the system may not do it automagically but it is still possible
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:09 am

I have 6:
Blue cash (old version)
Costco
Hilton
SPG
SPG Biz
Platinum Biz

Only the Platinum Business is a charge card. Maybe costco card also doesn't count? The last 4 were opened within 6 months.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by yoyo
I have 6:
Blue cash (old version)
Costco
Hilton
SPG
SPG Biz
Platinum Biz

Only the Platinum Business is a charge card. Maybe costco card also doesn't count? The last 4 were opened within 6 months.
This is interesting. I would be curious to see what would happen if you tried for one more. It is of course possible that the cap is linked to indiviudals... i.e. they clearly won't give ME more than 4 cards but maybe for others the limit is higher. Or there is some quirk in their system that makes them think you have less. Or the Costco sits in some other bucket.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
FWIW I had 7, then closed my Personal Platinum (shortly after getting the MB version) and now have these 6:

MB Platinum
Delta Gold
Amex Hilton
SPG
Costco
Gold Biz

Also had a PRG Personal but closed that after getting the Gold Biz.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by CatJo
FWIW I had 7, then closed my Personal Platinum (shortly after getting the MB version) and now have these 6:

MB Platinum
Delta Gold
Amex Hilton
SPG
Costco
Gold Biz

Also had a PRG Personal but closed that after getting the Gold Biz.
This is four credit cards and two charge cards
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wspfan
Limit is 4. People who have more were grandfathered in (pre 2009).
If this is the case, then I'm golden. Member since 97
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:40 pm

Why is Costco Amex considered a Charge Card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.