Wiki Posts
Search

Best advice for downgrading (temp?) Centurion->Plat

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Most of them
Best advice for downgrading (temp?) Centurion->Plat

I have had the Centurin card for five years and was running up 300k+ annually when I was on my own. Now I work for a big corp and have to use their card (uggh) but still fly a gob internationally...all business class or better. Platinum had most of what I need and now the 2500 annually is looking bigger (and not deductible).

Thing is I expect to work for this company a couple more years, go do some volunteer work for a year or maybe two and then be back in the half time working business. Even at half-time I could probably justify the Centurion. Anyway to "suspend" without having to crank back up 250k in spending and paying the initiation fee? I hardly use the concierge or travel any more through Cent travel since most is corporate travel (and I have to use their people).

Ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fracmeister
I have had the Centurin card for five years and was running up 300k+ annually when I was on my own. Now I work for a big corp and have to use their card (uggh) but still fly a gob internationally...all business class or better. Platinum had most of what I need and now the 2500 annually is looking bigger (and not deductible).

Thing is I expect to work for this company a couple more years, go do some volunteer work for a year or maybe two and then be back in the half time working business. Even at half-time I could probably justify the Centurion. Anyway to "suspend" without having to crank back up 250k in spending and paying the initiation fee? I hardly use the concierge or travel any more through Cent travel since most is corporate travel (and I have to use their people).

Ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Uhh, so really what you are saying is, in the worst case (two years of volunteer work) your essentially looking for a "suspension" of about 4 years? Do I understand that correctly?

If yes, I think that would be a tall order. I've read a few posts were it would seem some Cent cardholders had some grace period to change their mind and reinstate the card within some period of time, but I don't think that period of time was 4 years...

Regards
Old May 16, 2009, 5:31 pm

Grace period re-instatment initiation fee are officially gone for united state card holders. You drop the card today you owe 5k next week if you re-apply and need payments of 250k (i say pay because it really is pay and not spend). Unofficially can you get things waived? Do you think you will find out on flyertalk ? I doubt it.
Old May 16, 2009, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
<snip> need payments of 250k (i say pay because it really is pay and not spend)
I'm curious, what specifically does that subtle clarification mean?

Regards
Old May 16, 2009, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm curious, what specifically does that subtle clarification mean?
It means you can't do something like spend $250k, and pay $200k of it and leave the other $50k on a credit card account (even if you're current with the minimum payments and below your credit limit).
Old May 17, 2009, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
It means you can't do something like spend $250k, and pay $200k of it and leave the other $50k on a credit card account (even if you're current with the minimum payments and below your credit limit).
Ah, ding, ding! Got it! Thanks.

Regards
Old May 17, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: amex gold, hhonors gold, spg gold :)
Originally Posted by Centurion
Grace period re-instatment initiation fee are officially gone for united state card holders. You drop the card today you owe 5k next week if you re-apply and need payments of 250k (i say pay because it really is pay and not spend). Unofficially can you get things waived? Do you think you will find out on flyertalk ? I doubt it.
i recently canceled personal centurion and was told at the time that if i reapplied within three months from the date of cancelation, that i did not have to requalify with the minimum spend limit although i had to pay the "initiation" fee of $5k.

-hchon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.