Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Great post and it is amazing how much we had in common with our scheming. I eventually got busy (and bored) and slowed down, but still netted 1mm or so points.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
My favorite post EVER in all my years on this board. We may all be crazy but you're a friggin genius!

Gosh, what to do? Use them all for FC or settle for more BC trips? Wow, the pressure!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:45 pm
AMA

Be sure you convert/cash in the points sooner rather than later, as AMEX has been -very- active in pruning their ranks and canceling card accounts...cancel = list points...

creditboards has many, many posts about this.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

What a fascinating story! How much money did you spend in total for your 2.8MM points? How much of that do you think you would have spent anyway?

I hope some magazine, somewhere, does a profile on you.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What a fascinating story!

1/How much money did you spend in total for your 2.8MM points?

2/How much of that do you think you would have spent anyway?

1/ An average of about $10 per tx. I would have put more $$ on it but my Earth Amex had a 3 point per $ promo overlapping with this one and so larger tx went onto the Earth. ie $8000 gave 24K on Earth vs 12000+ 1000 on my Amex MR card.

2/ Most of it. However I have brought many purchases forward from 2009 into 2008. ie I will not have to buy socks for a while In addition while I did buy a lot more coffees, drinks and snacks than normal (ie extra spend), I did also as detailed in the OP made a lot of genuine savings which offset that. ie when you shop everday you can buy EVERYTHING at a great discount..for if it is not on sale now...wait a few days or a week and somewhere it will be....and I went to a lot of wheres Fortunately Christmas in Australia tends to be a major shopping time anyway for both presents and food. Add to that 3 birthdays and that was a great head-start.

Technically, yes I could have averaged a much lower $$/tx.....but I put most of my normal size transactions on it, with just the very largest ones going onto Earth.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Mar 5, 2009 at 1:02 am
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Excellent job, and report!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Good heavens, that is awesome! You got 10 x what I got and I really had to struggle for it. I basically did a much lower budget version of your strategy: eggs from Coles, milk & bread from Woolies, laundry soap from Bargain City, shampoo from KMart, etc and shopped just about every day. I was at the point I never wanted to see another mall again! We ate a lot of $5 cheap Tuesday Dominos pizzas and I found a couple Subways that take Amex.

I had sent quite a lot to SPG before Sept 30 and the rate went back up but the Oct-Dec is getting us at least 2 x BNE-Europe and 2 x BNE-South Pacific through Krisflyer. I didn't buy anything that I wouldn't normally have bought except maybe a few extra coffees and made about 20 x $2 donations to various charities and some ITunes, I just did like you did and shopped exclusively at places that take Amex.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tiki

I was at the point I never wanted to see another mall again! .
Yes I reached that point about a fortnight in!!!!! It was all a bit like that Movie Groundhog Day...

Good to hear from you again Tiki..and glad also to hear that you got a slice big enough for some useful flights.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:16 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Interesting that we haven't heard of this before now. What happened to sharing on FlyerTalk?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Interesting that we haven't heard of this before now. What happened to sharing on FlyerTalk?
It was there from the start....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nsactions.html ...but has so far less than twenty posts in it.

I guess with most on Flyertalk not being resident in Australia that there was not much interest here.

The link in that thread takes you to a MONSTER Aussie thread though....so far has over 5000 posts in it!!!!

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...per-14628.html
...where there was a LOT of interest.

If you have about a week of free time you can read it.

I just thought with the promo at last concluded for me that some on Flyertalk might be interested to read my Points Run Report.

Cheers

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Mar 5, 2009 at 6:33 am
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:25 am

What happens down under stays down under?

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Old Mar 5, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
Brilliant post. I really enjoyed reading this report, it was definitely one of the most entertaining posts I have read in a long while.

I most agree with all the other responses, this is a true representation of FT and an absolute act of genius! Congrats to the OP!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
$10 per tx???? Crap, that's unfortunate.

I had my average under US$2. But that was the idea.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:33 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
It was there from the start....

The link in that thread takes you to a MONSTER Aussie thread though....so far has over 5000 posts in it!!!!

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...per-14628.html
...where there was a LOT of interest.

Cheers
Interesting site. This may come in handy for our upcoming trip to AU/NZ!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:47 pm
sy7

Wow, this is great story! I think this tops any FT mileage accumulation scheme that I've heard about.

I especially like how you say that you hate shopping, and that this quickly became a burdensome chore but you still persevered because of the lure of the points . 27 transactions / day on average for 3 months is amazing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.