Premium baggage insurance [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:57 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Sure, theoretically only if you paid the premium for both. It's per ticket. Practically speaking, however, they may not check.
Well I put it all on my AMEX so I did pay for them
I'm just worried in case they audit me. This is the 4th claim in the past 1 month
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
There is some wording in the terms that mentions adding on to a covered itinerary would not require an additional premium, but you can read the terms to be sure. I find that the amex insurance people are pretty lax about the rules anyway so you are probably ok.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
Realizing this thread is very old... but for future readers. No, the charges do not have to be on your AMEX card. You just need to have the receipts for the claim.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:16 am

My wife went over seas lost 1 bag for 3 days and she went out and bought what she needed spent just under $500.

Some reason amex had fax issues and it took me 4 weeks to fax it to them but once they got it they took about another 3 weeks and put the credit on.
The 4 weeks was due to me being in and out of the country so much during that time.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Premium Baggage Protection Success

I recently had a baggage delay in Nepal / India which required me to make about $800 in trekking equipment purchases. I had purchased the tickets on my Amex Gold charge card, and paid the $9.99 fee to insure against delay and loss.

The story is that I flew to Nepal and my bag did not arrive. Inside the bag was all my trekking equipment for a three week Himalayan trek. I was told the bag went to Kabul instead of Kathmandu. It would be sent to Delhi and then to Kathmandu, in about a week. Since I was setting off the next day, I had no choice but to purchase all new equipment in the four hours before shops closed in Kathmandu.

Upon returning I did collect the bag, and I filed a claim with Amex, who just informed me that my card will receive a credit for all the items I purchased. All I had to do was call, file a claim, and fax the supporting documents. Two weeks later, funds were credited to my account.

Some notes:

1) All the purchases were made in Nepalese Rupees.
2) No purchases were charged to my Amex as everyone requires cash or Visa/MC.
3) I cancel premium baggage protection frequently and enroll only when taking international trips where I will be checking luggage

Despite these three things, which Amex could be jerks about, they processed the claim quickly and fully.

Needless to say, I am pleased with the service I have received, and will continue my loyal appreciation of Amex.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:21 pm

With all the horror stories out there, it is certainly comforting to read reports like this. Btw, good call on purchasing the baggage protection insurance ^
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:47 pm

It's actually the second good experience I have had with Amex Assurance. Aside from the baggage claim. Last year, when my six month old GPS was stolen from my car, they simply looked up the purchase and credited the purchase amount. All done on the phone with no documentation required. It took about 10 minutes.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
quick question- is baggage delay insurance a included feature of the (u.s.) amex platinum? i don't see it in my t&c, nor on the amex website (a search shows it as a canadian plat feature).

thanx
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by edscholl
quick question- is baggage delay insurance a included feature of the (u.s.) amex platinum? i don't see it in my t&c, nor on the amex website (a search shows it as a canadian plat feature).

thanx
No. There is a different policy which comes as standard for other plat charge cards (e.g. UK-issed) as well as the IDC (for e.g.)

tb
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
+1

I've had extremely good luck with this program, also, and with the delayed-flight program - your flight is delayed past 9 PM, you get a free hotel room for the night, no questions asked. (You get $50 to cover incidentals with a delay of more than 3 hours, also.)

It's one reason I've been a cardmember since 1988.

ETA: Good to know they'll cover outdoor equipment; as a scuba diver I'd be in the same boat (ha) were my bags delayed, particularly on a liveaboard. I do usually schedule in an overnight between my flight and the boat departure, but still.

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Feb 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Sign up here. You can also get premium rental car and trip delay insurance, which I personally think are worth every penny.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:35 pm

Keep in mind that my gear was delayed and not lost --- even though it was lost for the entire length of my trip, I did get back. That limits the coverage to $500 per claim. Since there were two of us insured, we were able to claim up to $1,000, which was more than enough to cover the equipment we purchased.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:03 am
Company Representative - Amex

The Baggage Insurance Plan is a fee-free benefit of eligible cards (To answer your question, the US consumer Platinum is indeed included in the list of eligible cards). It provides coverage at no additional cost for loss or damage to a Cardmember's baggage when they charge a scheduled flight, cruise, train, or bus ticket to their American Express Card account.
Baggage Delay and Loss Protection (BDLP) requires enrollment and is billed as a premium. It provides coverage in the event of loss, theft, damage, or delay of checked and carry-on baggage during a scheduled airline flight, as well as theft from a hotel when the enrolled Cardmember is a paying registered guest, or anytime during a Covered Trip.
Information can be found by accessing www.onlineclaim.americanexpress.com and selecting “Baggage Delay and Loss Protection” or “Baggage Insurance Plan” from the Benefit Information drop-down box. The number to call is 800-645-9700. Please note that other items may be factored in to eligibility, so please reach out to them before submitting a claim.
I hope you found this information useful.
Kim
Amex Customer Care
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:45 pm

To clarify, I think I have got this correct.

There are three baggage insurance plans.

1) Baggage Insurance Plan (Free)
2) Baggage Delay and Loss Protection ($5.75)
3) Executive Baggage Protection ($6.50)
4) Premium Baggage Protection ($9.95)

Each plan seems to cover luggage against loss and damage, but with increasingly higher limits for each plan. Does that seem correct? It's a bit complicated, and would be easier if there was one plan, and you get to choose the level of coverage that you want.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
So I read this post and others but still can't determine what the final word is on award tickets.

If I pay the taxes and fees can I still get the protection premium?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.