Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Plat card perk devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Another Plat card perk devaluation

Not that is is so great to start with but the International Airlines program does work well in certain situations. I just got my 2009 plat card guide and it appears that Continental, Delta and Emirates dropped out of the program.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Ooh, that's a rough loss if that's the case. CO was very useful to the Caribbean.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect this was a "no cost to Amex" perk, so if the airline didn't want to do it, it would be gone. Might be a consequence of an airline doing a seating or routing upgrade. Did they add anyone?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Air Lingus is new.

It also says:

Preview of Features to debut in 2009

-new global destinations and non-stop service from more us gateways
-lower fares on many qualifying tickets
-New Airline partners
Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
when does one normally get the 2009 guide? ive only had my card like 8 months, kinda lookin forward to seeing whats new1
Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

I just got today. Call plat and request they send one to you if you dont receive soon.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by precision80
I just got today. Call plat and request they send one to you if you dont receive soon.
sweet. if i dont get by weekend or so il give em a ring
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I just got my 2009 plat card guide and it appears that Continental, Delta and Emirates dropped out of the program.
Not too suprised about Continental and Emirates but I am suprised by Delta considering they are closely tied to AMEX with their DL AMEX credit cards. Have only used the 2for1 on LH so as long as they stay in i'm okay. Wouldn't be caught on CO anyway due to their horrible NONEPASS program.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Thanks for the heads up. I have the feeling that it goes more and more downhill. I still have the Plat card because of the travel insurance but I am considering to cancel it by the end of the next membership period…
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by totti
Thanks for the heads up. I have the feeling that it goes more and more downhill. I still have the Plat card because of the travel insurance but I am considering to cancel it by the end of the next membership period…

What does their travel insurance do for you? Ive never used it.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I'm sure precision80 will be able to explain the benefit to him/her of this. I personally have never used it. However there are definitely benefits which I did not consider important until I actually took advantage of them like the rental car insurance which saved me $686.75 from a bogus claim from Avis in Germany which claimed that I damaged a car during my rental which I know 100% I did not. Amex took care of the difference between the total amount that Avis charged me for a 1/4in. paint scratch and my deductible. IMHO any reduction in benefits is not good considering that they raised the price of the card a couple of years ago.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC *E
Originally Posted by christianj
I'm sure precision80 will be able to explain the benefit to him/her of this. I personally have never used it. However there are definitely benefits which I did not consider important until I actually took advantage of them like the rental car insurance which saved me $686.75 from a bogus claim from Avis in Germany which claimed that I damaged a car during my rental which I know 100% I did not. Amex took care of the difference between the total amount that Avis charged me for a 1/4in. paint scratch and my deductible. IMHO any reduction in benefits is not good considering that they raised the price of the card a couple of years ago.
It's funny you should mention that, because the only time I've ever used the Amex Plat travel insurance was for a bogus claim by Hertz in Germany. Amex took care of it very professionally.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
IAP was/is a benefit which only made sense in very specific occasions.
Usually discounted J/F fares are better deals, but sometimes there is the odd exception.

I have only used it one where I needed to purchase two FRA-HKG CX F fares. The IAP program saved me about € 1.500 versus two seperate tickets.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:04 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
What it does for me? I just have it! It is good to know that I don't need to care about CDW when I rent a car which happens frequently. I don't need to worry about travel cancellation insurance because it comes with the card and I have it every time I book a flight or hotel.

In other words I use the insurance package almost every day even though I never needed it so far. Oh wait I actually made use of the missing baggage insurance once and it worked like a charm.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Marriott
Originally Posted by totti
What it does for me? I just have it! It is good to know that I don't need to care about CDW when I rent a car which happens frequently. I don't need to worry about travel cancellation insurance because it comes with the card and I have it every time I book a flight or hotel.

In other words I use the insurance package almost every day even though I never needed it so far. Oh wait I actually made use of the missing baggage insurance once and it worked like a charm.
I may be wrong, but I thought most any major credit card also provided that same insurance coverage...most without an annual fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.