Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best use of 150,000 mem reward pts?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

What's the best use of 150,000 mem reward pts?

As per the thread title - I would like to get some opinions on the best use of 150,000 pts. these days. I assume some sort of upgraded international air travel, but I would like some insight on current promotions, best transfer strategies, etc. For what it is worth, I am based in Detroit, and am a Centurion holder. Any insight greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
This is a - What is the secret to happiness question.

Originally Posted by travelnick33
As per the thread title - I would like to get some opinions on the best use of 150,000 pts. these days. I assume some sort of upgraded international air travel, but I would like some insight on current promotions, best transfer strategies, etc. For what it is worth, I am based in Detroit, and am a Centurion holder. Any insight greatly appreciated.
Nick,

In short, your question is way too broad.

1. You need to do some research before you ask your question.

2. Let us know what you have found that interests you.

3. Provide details as to whether you want -- Flights (domestic, international, class of service,) hotels, gift cards.

Research the previous posts and revise your original post. At that point, the many really smart people on Flyertalk can provide you with good advice.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:15 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
I guess it depends on your location.
Amex Canada you can transfer these points to Aeroplan at a 1:1 ratio. With 150k miles you can get a round trip to Europe on Business class on any of the star alliance partners.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:16 pm

I am no expert but if you like Delta or Northwest you can transfer to Delta and get a 30% bonuse. You must register for the bonus and transfer before Dec 31st. I think the only reason I like this deal is because I am one of the fools who lets miles acumulate as they lose value every day.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster and GameStop, several libraries
Originally Posted by Centurion
I am no expert but if you like Delta or Northwest you can transfer to Delta and get a 30% bonuse. You must register for the bonus and transfer before Dec 31st. I think the only reason I like this deal is because I am one of the fools who lets miles acumulate as they lose value every day.
Will they lose more or less value if languishing with delta or with amex?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by lessthanzero
Will they lose more or less value if languishing with delta or with amex?
Your, lessthanzero, monkier was one of my fav movies. Also your bring a funny yet serious point. In today's enviornment you could move points to carrier that goes BK and your points are worth less than zero. How many times can a airline go BK? If a tree falls in the woods...? I also would apreciate someone pointing out best use values that are truely a great value no matter what catagory.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Best value is probably 3 x VS MFU (Virgin atlantic upgrade from premium econ to upper class) - yielding a value of around 8 cents per point. Other upgrades may offer comparable value but may be harder to secure as a non-elite.

You should be able to get around 5 cents per point for a business class or first class award seat transatlantic or transpacific on many of the airline partners.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by dgwright99
Best value is probably 3 x VS MFU (Virgin atlantic upgrade from premium econ to upper class) - yielding a value of around 8 cents per point. Other upgrades may offer comparable value but may be harder to secure as a non-elite.

You should be able to get around 5 cents per point for a business class or first class award seat transatlantic or transpacific on many of the airline partners.

Are the Virgin upgrades capacity controlled? Is Virgin Prem Econ equivlent of BA World Traveler + where you pay between $300 to $700 more each way for a little more leg room than standard econ?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
thats $1500 in shopping/restaurant gift cards if you prefer. thats a full 10 cents per point.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by wuhoo
thats $1500 in shopping/restaurant gift cards if you prefer. thats a full 10 cents per point.
You mean 1 cent per point. Not the best use of MR IMO.

1500/150000=.01
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Aeroplan. Thats 2 business class tickets to europe (well, 160,000 is but close enough).
Old Dec 17, 2008, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by wuhoo
Where did you learn math?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 3:46 pm
zaf

I think the best use of your points is transferring it to your favorite frequent flyer program.
In Canada 1 point = 1 miles and aeroplan
A business class is usually not less than 4000 USD to europe and you need 80,000 MR (80,000 miles) to get 1 business class. Meaning 20 cents / point
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
May want to check your math. $.05/point.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:14 am
zaf

Originally Posted by stevenshev
May want to check your math. $.05/point.
LOL You are right.. I am jet lagged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.