Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Airport Clubs ( EZE,GDL,MEX,MTY,CGH,GRU,GIG)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Airport Clubs ( EZE,GDL,MEX,MTY,CGH,GRU,GIG)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by mrkymark
Any idea where the GRU lounge is loacated?
I found a separate thread discussing the GRU lounge which I have merged into this one. Scroll back to post #4 to see a mention of the location (outside security, one floor up). I have not been to that airport, and cannot say if that is sufficiently specific.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Thanks MIA.

So just an update, got back from GRU.

The American Express Centurion Lounge at GRU located outside security on the second floor (above check in counters) near the post office between the two terminals for anyone who is wondering where it is.

Perhaps times were different in 2007 but I did not find it particularly pleasant, grossly overcrowded, and a smelly bathroom.

Business Gold/Plat, Personal Gold, and Plat from US member was welcome without issue. I know there was discussion about that. But not a problem with the agent.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I'm just in the Centurion Lounge in T1 @ MEX and it's amazing I have to say!

Got in with my Flying Blue Platinum Card and are relaxing in my own private booth. All sodas, coffee's and snacks are free. For dinner or alcohol I have to pay, but sure beats the $ 35,- entrance fee for the AF/KL lounge, behind security.

Didn't know they exist and I could get in. Why not in Europe?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Guadalajara (GDL) Lounge Pictures

Last week I stopped by the GDL Lounge.. It's located close to the middle of the departure gates across Henry J. Beans Restaurant. Its a bit small and they are repairing a section of the roof. Service was excellent (free shoeshine, free drinks, both free and $ options for food). One tip (no pun intended) is to tip the waiter in advanced (give them $2-5 USD) and they will give you extra service during your stay.

Entrance

Interior 1

Also visited the T1 @ MEX. Its also excellent as the other posts have mentioned.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
IIRC, the lounge attendant ask for your AMEX card, but not necessarily for your boarding pass. So can you use the lounge as an arrival lounge (at the lounges that are landside) to get a quick snack, a drink and check e-mail on the computer terminals?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Anyone know if the GIG longe closure is temporary or permanent?

There was a note posted on the door in Portugese, but couldn't decipher what it meant.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I'd be interested in finding out why there are a couple of Centurion Lounges in Central & South America but none (other than at LAS) in North America, Europe or Asia.

I know that this question has been asked before in this thread, but I wanted to ask again since it hasn't really been answered (plus it was asked some years back).
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
I'd be interested in finding out why there are a couple of Centurion Lounges in Central & South America but none (other than at LAS) in North America, Europe or Asia.

I know that this question has been asked before in this thread, but I wanted to ask again since it hasn't really been answered (plus it was asked some years back).
I believe there are some lounges in Asia as well.

My own opinion, after having lived in SE Asia and in South America for the last 15 or so years is that there are very, very few tangible benefits that American Express can offer its card members in those regions compared to what Amex USA offers.

When I lived in SE Asia the primary benefit of an Amex card was the discounts and access at top end restaurants and other "hot spots". The focus was on exclusivity of access, and not on rewards or even on travel. But that was many years ago, and I imagine it might be different now.

Recently, in South America, my experience has been one where there are very, very limited benefits or perks to card membership, particularly in order to justify the cost of Platinum or Centurion. I believe the Centurion Lounges are one of the few ways for the local Amex subsidiaries or partners to offer something tangible to entice people to their high end cards.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Wow. I didn't even know about the LAS lounge. The concept seems different than the Latin American lounges where I believe anyone with a Gold card or higher is admitted for free. I've used the EZE lounge several times, but not recently. I see that only Centurions are admitted for free to the LAS lounge. It would be nice if they'd give a break to Platinums and give them a discount on the normal $50 charge for an "Access Key".
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
Anyone know if the GIG longe closure is temporary or permanent?

There was a note posted on the door in Portugese, but couldn't decipher what it meant.
It's permanent! Everything at airports managed by Infraero is run by time limited concessions that go to the highest bidder. Since no bidding process was opened for the Centurion club's location, the contract came to an end and AMEX had to vacate the premises.
GIG will itself become a concession freeing the airport from having to run a public bidding process for every inch of its space. The new operator will be known in October, but what's already knows is the fact that T1-C will have to be renovated by the new operator, not by Infraero. Do expect T1-C to be completely closed at some point before the World Cup, so no bidding process will be started for the lounge any time soon.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:41 pm

Centurion Club (Not LAS) Access Rules

I was at GRU this morning and tried to into the Centurion Club for a bit since I had some time to kill. I had just arrived from IGU and it was 800 I figured I could go kill that time in the Centurion Club but was told I couldn't go in without a boarding pass for a departing flight. Is this normal? If yes, do they ever make exceptions, say if I get to GRU tomorrow before UA counter opens and I'm not able to check-in tonight will I be out of luck?

I almost forgot the most important piece of information. I have an AmEx Plat from the US.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Acornragazzo
I was at GRU this morning and tried to into the Centurion Club for a bit since I had some time to kill. I had just arrived from IGU and it was 800 I figured I could go kill that time in the Centurion Club but was told I couldn't go in without a boarding pass for a departing flight. Is this normal? If yes, do they ever make exceptions, say if I get to GRU tomorrow before UA counter opens and I'm not able to check-in tonight will I be out of luck?

I almost forgot the most important piece of information. I have an AmEx Plat from the US.
Acornragazzo, Hmm interesting question. I have only been to the EZE club inside the secure area. They never asked for a BP (assume since your in the sterile area all is well).. Its an AMEX Lounge with both Platinium and Centurion sub lounges. I have not been to others so thus my interest. Hope all works out for you. If I ever had an issue with access, I would ask the host for use of a phone tocall the International Collect Number on the back of your card to get further clarification. They may just defer and let you in (just a thought).. Safe Travels
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Time traveller
IIRC, the lounge attendant ask for your AMEX card, but not necessarily for your boarding pass. So can you use the lounge as an arrival lounge (at the lounges that are landside) to get a quick snack, a drink and check e-mail on the computer terminals?
I think it depends on which lounge you are using and where it's located. In the MEX pre-security lounge as well as GRU they asked for my BP. In GRU I was not allowed to enter to use it as an arrivals lounge, but I think it's because it is a really small lounge and could get crowded. However in CGH lounge which is located post security they didn't ask for my BP.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
If I ever had an issue with access, I would ask the host for use of a phone tocall the International Collect Number on the back of your card to get further clarification. They may just defer and let you in (just a thought)
Flying Machine, thanks for the advice. I didn't care enough to do this when I was there. And after having been to th GRU lounge yesterday I can say I wasn't impressed. I think the one at SDU was bigger. Maybe I got spoiled by the one in MEX that has separate areas for Plats and a sub-lounge for Centurions.

Last edited by Acornragazzo; Sep 15, 2013 at 5:31 pm Reason: Fix airport name. It was CGH not SDU.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, DE Plat, UA1K, Globalist, etc.
The Mex club has three areas, general, Plat and Cent. The Cent area is upstairs behind a sliding door. It is quite fantastic... super premium liquors, two inch thick menu, shoes taken away to be shined. Love.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by grazing
The Mex club has three areas, general, Plat and Cent. The Cent area is upstairs behind a sliding door. It is quite fantastic... super premium liquors, two inch thick menu, shoes taken away to be shined. Love.
Which one are you talking about? I don't recall seeing stairs at the one pre-security. I believe the Centurion area in that one was in the back near the toilets. There are only 2 right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.