Using MR Points For Travel

Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Centurion
Using MR Points For Travel

Question: If I use MR points for travel is this considered an award ticket with the airline? The reason that I ask is that upgrades are not available on award flights on some airlines.
Thanks,
Jerry
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by superior2112
Question: If I use MR points for travel is this considered an award ticket with the airline? The reason that I ask is that upgrades are not available on award flights on some airlines.
Thanks,
Jerry
No, it is not an award ticket with the airline.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It depends on how you are redeeming the points. If you are transferring them to an airline or redeeming them for a voucher (like the Cathay Free Coach Ticket reward) then they are definitely treated as reward flights. If you are buying a ticket through the AmEx travel website and paying for it with points instead of money you're buying a revenue ticket.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by sbm12
It depends on how you are redeeming the points. If you are transferring them to an airline or redeeming them for a voucher (like the Cathay Free Coach Ticket reward) then they are definitely treated as reward flights. If you are buying a ticket through the AmEx travel website and paying for it with points instead of money you're buying a revenue ticket.
Good point, sbm is correct. If you transfer them as FF miles to the airline, then book a reward ticket with that airline, it's obviously an award ticket.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

I booked on amex.com using straight MR points.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, AAdvantage, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, BOFA Accolades
While this is a convenient option, the point value is .01 per point. So 10K MR points =$100. If you are able to transfer to your airline of choice you can sometime find a better value. Most airlines require 25k miles for domestic reward tickets, regardless of the price. 25K MR = $250, which will not cover most flight costs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.