Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cannot transfer credit lines between cards as of 10-1-2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Just got off the phone with AX and was trying to reallocate credit lines between two cards but the phone agent told me that, as of 10-1, they can no longer transfer limits between cards.

I'm annoyed because I would have moved some of the limit from my DL card to the SPG card if I had known that!

Anyone else have any issues with this recently?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:11 am

It was actually Monday, October 6. I noticed over the weekend that Amex had taken down the online tools to do this. I called Sunday afternoon for my re-allocations.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingforFree
It was actually Monday, October 6. I noticed over the weekend that Amex had taken down the online tools to do this. I called Sunday afternoon for my re-allocations.
Wished I'd noticed that (or they had given notice). Now I've got 2 cards that I won't really use anymore that I have 25K+ in credit lines on.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:28 am

I found out when I changed my credit limits on October 6th and they told me it was the last day they could do it, but they mentioned that supervisors were still able to adjust credit limit
Old Oct 9, 2008, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Darn I just wasted a call.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Amex no more credit line swaps as of 10/6/08!

Just tried to switch some credit line between SPG business and personal - the CSR said something to the effect of 'We're sorry, but as of October 6 we dont allow any credit line swaps between cards anymore'. I asked if it was permanent, the CSR said "until further notice"
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

didnt you need manual approval once you reached $25K anyway?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
didnt you need manual approval once you reached $25K anyway?
No. I made my SPG card 27k in May with the online tool.

And no longer allowing reallocations is idiotic.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I just tried moving CL between two Citi Amex cards and the CSR said she could not.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skofarrell
No. I made my SPG card 27k in May with the online tool.
doh. i seem to recall that being said somewhere. i should have gone higher.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Marriott Plat
Where is the Advanced Notice AMEX?

I saw a thread on the fact that American Express was no longer allowing Credit Limit transfers from 10/06 onward. Well unfortunately I didn't see it until10/08. Someone said you could still call in to AMEX & get a supervisor to do it for you if you were lucky. So I immediately called AMEX to try to transfer (not increase) credit limits between my Delta AMEX, HHonors AMEX, & SPG AMEX to a personal utility maximizing solution.

I was unable to get any limits transferred after quite some time on the phone. What annoys me the most about AMEX is the complete & utter lack of letting their customers know IN ADVANCE of major changes to their accounts. The customer service rep argued with me that I surely must have been notified both by email & by snail mail well in advance of these changes, but that I probably just missed it because I get so much mail & thus get careless about American Express notifications.

Uhm okay lady, NO. I definitely would have remembered seeing anything remotely associated with American Express indefinitely doing away with one of the greatly underrated advantages to americanexpress.com compared to other credit card websites.

I am signed up to receive literally just about every possible alert, newsletter, bonus offers, in both email & "snailmail" form from American Express & I can say with certainty that I never got anything regarding this change. That aspect aside, what really frustrated me is that the customer service rep basically accused me of blindly throwing away all mailings from AMEX & deleting any and all emails. She again and again claimed that I did receive advanced notice I must have simply just been careless.

Reminds me of the time AMEX put a complete freeze on all 4 of my AMEX Credit Cards halfway through an international trip, prior to which I notified AMEX of my travel/spending plans, including exactly when and where I would be. Turns out they had indeed notified me in advance of their impending Financial Review, hence why my $40,000 in combined spending power went to $0 when I was halfway around the world. How did they notify me of the F. R. might you ask? Email? Nope. Cell phone # on profile? Nope. They "notified me in advance" by sending out snail mail to a physical address in which was somewhere on my American Express Profile it was clearly noted that I would not be at that address(or that Country...) for a minimum of 9 days.

Sometimes AMEX just baffles me in the way they do things. For such a big, popular company, with a long history and a great rewards program, how come some departments/services just do certain things with LARGE implications on good ole "Joe Plumber' without personally notifying him, or without any attempt to publicize their contract changing actions??

Im going to stop ranting already, (probably about 5 paragraphs late), but Holey Smokes AMEX, put yourself in your customers shoes & think about how irate you would be if things just started changing unexpectedly (mostly features & benefits vanishing before your very eyes..."
Old Oct 16, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I just tried moving CL between two Citi Amex cards and the CSR said she could not.
I just called in to cancel one card (with a $30K limit), and asked to reallocate some of that credit to my SPG Business Amex (just opened, with a paltry $3K limit).

DENIED

So yes, looks like Amex credit limit movement is just frozen.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I went through this last week. Their systems have been modified to specifically not allow reallocations. The frontline reps and supervisors are totally powerless.

Typical Amex.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
I don't completely understand this decision. If I closed one of my cards and transferred its limit to another one I just opened, I would have less credit then I do now and it would be less of a risk to AMEX. Now, I'm not talking about transferring the limit on top of what I already have (for example, $10,000 from the old card on top of the new card's $2,000 for a total of 12,000). I just want the $10,000 from old card substituted for the $2,000 credit limit on the new card. The old card is Blue so there is no annual fee so canceling it does not harm AMEX's profitability.

I have had no late payments, finances charges, etc. on any of my AMEX accounts (or any credit account, for that matter) so, in the end, this is very annoying.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by sciguy0504
so, in the end, this is very annoying.
After the bailout, I feel the same way...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.