Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08

Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08

Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, SPG, Amex MR, Mahalo Rewards
Originally Posted by sbm12
That suggests that there is an extra ticket on a redemption, which is certainly not what the US program was about. Seems like a different program to me.
On top of my recent treatment, it's another reason to start looking at other cards. Honestly, if they weren't so actively sucking, I wouldn't even spend time looking even though there were probably already better products available.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
question, where it says that reservations may be made through the 15th of nov...does that mean the last day they offer it is the 15th or like i can call on the 15th and make a reservation for december and use the offer with that being the LAST day i could reserve on....? me and some friends were gonna go to vegas in either nov or dec and i had been counting on being able to use the 241 thing to save money....but if its gone totally on the 15th then no point in going, or renewing my card....
FWIW I called today to try to use this for one last trip in November before it runs out. After asking for my cardholder information the rep warned me about the deal expiring on the 15th before even asking my flight requests.

Though I didn't book it, she offered me flights for the weekend of November 14-16, so it looks like you can at least return after the 15th, not sure if you can depart after the 15th, or just have to book by the 15th, and if so, how much later the trip can be.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:32 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I will also miss this program as I was able to take advantage of it (once, anyway) this year. However, let's not forget that this program also generated a large number of complaints (as evidenced by the 2-for-1 FT thread) due to the poor service of the API agents and the opaque nature in which the program operated. While I am more inclined to believe that the program was canceled because AMEX was losing money on it, I have to wonder whether cardmember complaints regarding API also had a role in the decision.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Tulane41
FWIW I called today to try to use this for one last trip in November before it runs out. After asking for my cardholder information the rep warned me about the deal expiring on the 15th before even asking my flight requests.

Though I didn't book it, she offered me flights for the weekend of November 14-16, so it looks like you can at least return after the 15th, not sure if you can depart after the 15th, or just have to book by the 15th, and if so, how much later the trip can be.
Man that really blows...we havent picked the exact weekend in nov we wanna go to vegas but i dont wanna have to schedule it AROUND amex to make sure we get the tickets...
Old Oct 8, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
I DEFINITELY agree this is a major disappointment. However, are those of you serious about canceling your PLAT card because of the lack of this benefit now? I thought the PLAT was well worth the $450 fee with the concierge, FHR benefits, and overall protection that is guaranteed (plus SPG Gold), so as much as I am really bummed to see this benefit go, I can't be the only one who thinks this card is still valuable?
Old Oct 8, 2008, 5:48 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Pro-rata annual fee refund

FYI, I just called and complained about this. I was told that if I closed my account in response, I would be eligible for a pro-rata refund of the annual fee.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Got the letter in the mail officially saying this benefit is dead on 11/15. What to do, what to do....
Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
FYI, I just called and complained about this. I was told that if I closed my account in response, I would be eligible for a pro-rata refund of the annual fee.
So, did you in fact cancel? If not, why not? What more would you have been hoping for by calling to complain?

Regards
Old Oct 8, 2008, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tulane41
not sure if you can depart after the 15th, or just have to book by the 15th, and if so, how much later the trip can be.
My read was the you had to complete the booking transaction by Nov. 15th, and it only works up to 6 months out, so latest travel will be in March '09.
Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ
I DEFINITELY agree this is a major disappointment. However, are those of you serious about canceling your PLAT card because of the lack of this benefit now? I thought the PLAT was well worth the $450 fee with the concierge, FHR benefits, and overall protection that is guaranteed (plus SPG Gold), so as much as I am really bummed to see this benefit go, I can't be the only one who thinks this card is still valuable?
I value the concierge at $0. I value FHR at $0. FHR is nice, but I rarely want to pay for that price point of a hotel anyways - I've used it 2x in 4 years of having the card - so the extra benefits don't do me any good. But if one stays at that type of property anyways I see the value. I value SPG at $0 because I don't really use it. If I wanted SPG gold I'd just stay at SPG properties more. The purchase protection has some value to me, but it is hard to put a number on it. The lounge benefit is nice, but with my reduced travel this year is is worth probably no more than $150 to me. I have the Open Small Business version so I get the Regus membership that has a small bit of value and I also get some discounts at Fedex/Kinkos, Delta and a few other places that thus far has totaled ~$30 in 6 months.

That doesn't really add up to $450 for me. With a couple 241 domestic tickets I make up the difference. Without it, I don't. As a straight business decision keeping it doesn't make a lot of sense. When I consider it as a business expense and the associated tax implications I might keep it, but chances are dwindling at this point. I have 5-6 months to decide.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
They always prorated membership fee if you cancel before your renewal date.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:59 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by scubadu
So, did you in fact cancel? If not, why not? What more would you have been hoping for by calling to complain?

Regards
Want MR balance = 0 first. Will take a few days to select the appropriate airline.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Well I must agree with just about everyone here.
Without the 241 benefit the value of the card has been vastly minimized. That's what really got me to apply for the card in the first place.

I guess if you use the airport lounges enough it can add up (skyteam lounges annual membership is ~$350/year).

Like the general theme here...I too must make a decision soon...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:01 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
does anyone know why they are terminating the offer in the first place? i know the prices of airlines are going up but i didnt think it was that big that they would go this far.......
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:05 am

Let's see.. Visa Signature = no annual fee, has concierge, warranty/product protection, lost luggage reimbursement, and 1.5% cash back on all purchases.

The airline lounge benefit is probably the best plat feature out of the bunch for me, but there's a good chance many people here fly more than enough miles to gain access to the clubs without paying $450/year for this card.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I can't be the only one who thinks this card is still valuable?
Determining "value" is always a very personal decision. At the end of the day, it's irrelevant what those of us on this board think relative to your decision. The real question is do YOU find value in the card at the $450 annual fee level without this benefit.

For me, I do not. Without a doubt this benefit was the one that allowed me to swallow hard and pay a $450 annual fee for a credit card (which violates about every economic principle I hold dear!) on the assumption that at least using this once or twice per year might allow me to feel like I'm at least about net even on the price to value ratio.

As sbm12 nicely spelled out, the other benefits to me are pretty much fluff (i.e. baggage insurance, purchase protection, FHR, etc.) The question one should consider is if you could purchase all of various benefits in an ala carte fashion and the price was $450 or less, would you? The answer for me is likely no.

The second most valuable benefit to me is the airport club access and I do enjoy that. However, 99.9% of my flying is on AA and never before was I willing to pay the annual fee for Admiral's Club access. So, I have to question whether the platinum card in essence just becomes an airport club card and whether that makes sense for me.

Regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.