Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:59 pm

Like AMEX cancelling double miles at home improvement stores a couple of years ago, I wonder if it was a case of too many people taking participating in the program that caused them to cancel it.

Jeff
Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jwhite4
Like AMEX cancelling double miles at home improvement stores a couple of years ago, I wonder if it was a case of too many people taking participating in the program that caused them to cancel it.

Jeff
Amex hasn't seen the same excellent growth as the other credit card companies, unfortunately. I can't remember where I saw it, but the statistics were was something like 50% for "the others" and 1% for Amex. Hard times... I guess?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Decent chance I'll be done next year when my renewal comes up. I've used this a couple times and this year it has made up for my decreased use of the lounge benefit. I was always just on the cusp of getting value for the card and this was worth a couple hundred dollars a year to me. Now, as a zero, the numbers are not nearly as good.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:35 pm

Programs: amex gold, hhonors gold, spg gold :)
Originally Posted by DMDortho
Have they made the same changes to the CENTURION card??
Yes, it has the same message on the Cent site as well, I just checked.

-hchon
Old Oct 8, 2008, 1:07 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Makes the 25K MR bonus for upgrading to platinum far less attractive. They gave me 50K less than 6 months ago for getting Gold in the first place.

I was considering moving up since I got the offer yesterday, recovering the fee in companion tickets and focus my flying on SkyTeam next year. Looks like I'll keep churning US Airways credit cards that include companion certs. (Yea, it's US, but $99 companion tix are worth it, and cover Canada as well as the lower 48 states.)
Old Oct 8, 2008, 7:10 am

Well, this certainly ends my consideration of the card. My wife got one just a couple of months ago and we've used the 2 for 1 a couple of times already for decent savings. I was considering getting the Platinum for myself to make even more use of the 2 for 1 (and for the lounge access when I fly alone) but this termination action eliminates that possibility for me. Guess I'll just use my three Priority Pass free visits via the Citi Platinum AMEX for my personal lounge access and use my wife's "free" AMEX Platinum business card access when we fly together. At least I'm glad I found out BEFORE I actually got the AMEX Platinum.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by jwhite4

Jeff
I'm not sure what card this relates to, but my Platinum Delta AMX still gets double miles at home improvement stores.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Thumbs down GRRRR!!!!!

I am not a happy camper! Unlike some posters, I have used the 2 for 1 program with great success. So far I've been able to get flights from MIA to LAS and MIA to SFO. Both times I got exactly the flights I was looking for- times, dates, etc. Blah! This is definitely going to make me re-evaluate whether the $450 is worth it. There's only so much value you can get out of the FHR benifit.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:54 am

This is really a bad move on AMEX's part...just keep taking away all of the useful ones
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: LH G, CO G, BA B, HH G, PC P, SW G, Sixt P, Hertz G and YES A|Club G :)
Hey, They refused to give me a card just recently because I am still "fresh of the boat" in Germany, and I wanted it just for that reason. Well, I guess I don't need it anymore...
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
damn this sucks, i only got my card about 4 months ago, i dont use many of the perks it gives but this was like the only one i would ever use....

question, where it says that reservations may be made through the 15th of nov...does that mean the last day they offer it is the 15th or like i can call on the 15th and make a reservation for december and use the offer with that being the LAST day i could reserve on....? me and some friends were gonna go to vegas in either nov or dec and i had been counting on being able to use the 241 thing to save money....but if its gone totally on the 15th then no point in going, or renewing my card....
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster and GameStop, several libraries
Originally Posted by sindjic
Hey, They refused to give me a card just recently because I am still "fresh of the boat" in Germany, and I wanted it just for that reason. Well, I guess I don't need it anymore...
Herzlichen willkommen!
Old Oct 8, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Looks like bye bye plat card come renewal time. It's a shame because I am a first year card holder and wasn't able to make the 2-for-1 domestic air program work for my trips this year.

At least I got 25K MR points and used the lounge a few times so it wasn't a total waste of $450.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: AmEx Gold PR, BoA Plat Priv
Still advertised in Canada

It's funny that a similar benefit is still advertised in Canada. From an ad on americanexpress.ca:

With the NEW complimentary Partner Ticket from American Express, now you can turn your 15,000 Bonus Aeroplan®* Miles into flights for two.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ZortNarf
It's funny that a similar benefit is still advertised in Canada. From an ad on americanexpress.ca:
That suggests that there is an extra ticket on a redemption, which is certainly not what the US program was about. Seems like a different program to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.