Wiki Posts
Search

Does Amex negotiate annual fees?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I seem to have misplaced my pitchfork.

But, I would like to know the name of the un-named firm I should be angry with (just in case I do find that darn pitchfork)
It starts with a "G" and ends with an "oldman Sachs"
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
not the poor suckers who got hustled.
Ah yes. The poor, saintly American consumer, spending money that he doesn't have on stuff that he doesn't need from the HELOC on the home he bought with an ARM that he couldn't afford; the keys of which he's now being encouraged to mail back to the bank rather than deal with the negative equity.

Wait, who's getting suckered here?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:52 am
In memoriam

Guess its hard to stay on topic. Especially for Saints.

Just a Saintly reminder ... topic is Does Amex Negotiate Annual Fees. @:-)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:43 pm

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Negotiating the Centurion fee

It has come to my attention that someone I know has managed to negotiate their Centurion card fee.
(the person is not based in the US but asked for my discretion so I will not disclose their country of residence).

Any similar experience ?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:52 am

UK fee was taken care of by a private bank many years ago. At least that is what the holder of card told me. You have to remember a lot of ego idiots have Centurion cards. I have not heard of any story of USA getting waived....but the usual they did xyz for me which certainly was worth the fee.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
... have not heard of any story of USA getting waived....
Agreed, but at post #49 of this thread there is mention an unspecified reduction...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13555383-post49.html
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Data point: AmEx Business Platinum

I got the $395 charge recently for the annual fee and decided to cancel the card. The occasional airport club and Fine Hotels usage wasn't worth that much to me.

Offer: would I be willing to pay $320 per year?

My answer: no thank you.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Amex Plat Renewal Fees

Just wanted to give everyone a recent heads up. I went to cancel my Platinum when it renewed last month as I already have a business one now with the same perks. I was offerred 10K 15K and then 50K in memebership rewards points to keep it all within the first two minutes of the call. They thanked me for my 25 years plus of having a card and could not have been nicer. Was I just lucky or is this the norm of late?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by barney44
Just wanted to give everyone a recent heads up. I went to cancel my Platinum when it renewed last month as I already have a business one now with the same perks. I was offerred 10K 15K and then 50K in memebership rewards points to keep it all within the first two minutes of the call. They thanked me for my 25 years plus of having a card and could not have been nicer. Was I just lucky or is this the norm of late?
Very nice offer. Did you keep the card?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by barney44
I've had my Business Platinum for a year. I called going to cancel the card as I am not travelling as I thought I would. They offered me 5K, 10K in rapid succession. I said for 20K they would have me convinced. A short pause while they checked and I was granted 20K.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
yes

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Very nice offer. Did you keep the card?
In light of that offer, I did keep the card. I thought it was too good to pass up at that point.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by jrjcopp
I've had my Business Platinum for a year. I called going to cancel the card as I am not travelling as I thought I would. They offered me 5K, 10K in rapid succession. I said for 20K they would have me convinced. A short pause while they checked and I was granted 20K.
Hmmm. Maybe I left miles on the table today with my Delta AmEx card. I called to cancel. They offered 5,000 DL miles. I countered with 10,000 and we cut a deal (with the $150/yr. fee). Not sure I could have gotten more since I charge maybe $7,500/yr. or so on the card (not that valuable a customer for them).
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: CX GO, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, PC Plat Amb, MR Gold, Amex Plat
Anyone get annual fee waived for Centurion? (Not country specific)

AE now issues Cent card in Taiwan with annual fee set at NT$160K (US$5400) and init fee at NT$160K. It comes with one Primary and four additionals.

Yesterday I read an interesting post (sites in Taiwan) that in Taiwan some new Centurion card holder were able to get the first year annual fee waived because of high spending contribution in the past 12 months. The spending amount quoted was NT$6 mil, close to US$200K.

I was intrigued by the post and called up the Taiwan Centurion hotline to inquire about the possibility of waiving the annual fee. The rep assured me that it was absolutely impossible to get the annual fee waived, no matter who you are and how much you spend, the only thing that can be waived is the initiation fee. And this is a global policy, meaning that globally, Amex does not have a "waive annaul fee" program for Cent.

My question is that, is there anyone on FT that actually has his/her Cent annual fee waived because of spending or other reasons? I know that very often information on many other internet forums could be misleading, and people on FT are more experienced and willing to share, so I am trying to see if anyone here has the first-hand experience.

Thank you very much!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:23 pm

Welcome. You can find a discussion thread on this already on flyertalk
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I believe Centurion is referring to this thread:

[Link removed because mizuou's thread has now been merged into the same discussion]

Last edited by mia; Apr 5, 2011 at 10:46 am Reason: Remove circular link after merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.