Wiki Posts
Search

Pay UK IDC card from US Bank Account?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Platinum, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Pay UK IDC card from US Bank Account?

I remember reading about someone paying his UK-issued IDC from a US bank account through the bank's bill payment interface. I know that you can always wire the money to American Express Bank in NY, but is it also possible to use you own bank's bill payment service? What payment address would I select? My bank's bill payment interface shows two Amex entries, one in Florida and another one in Arizona?

Anybody has done this successfully? And if so, how long does it take for the payment to be credited to your account?

Thanks...
Old May 6, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: VS Gold, Delta Platinum, Amex Centurion, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by 4GSM
I remember reading about someone paying his UK-issued IDC from a US bank account through the bank's bill payment interface. I know that you can always wire the money to American Express Bank in NY, but is it also possible to use you own bank's bill payment service? What payment address would I select? My bank's bill payment interface shows two Amex entries, one in Florida and another one in Arizona?

Anybody has done this successfully? And if so, how long does it take for the payment to be credited to your account?

Thanks...
I'll let you know how I get on in a day or 2. I've done a very small transfer to make it works before I try the whole amount.
Old May 6, 2008, 5:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I remember reading about someone paying his UK-issued IDC from a US bank account through the bank's bill payment interface.
Yes, I do . When I setup American Express online I used the New York address provided for wire transfers, but it appears my bank ignored this and simply transmits the payment the same as any other domestic USA account, and American Express applies it correctly using the card account number. Inasmuch as the statements are created and mailed from Fort Lauderdale I would choose that addressif your bank will not allow you to type in another.
Old May 11, 2008, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, I do.
mia - Thanks. How long does it take for the payment to post to the account? Is it the same as with US-issued cards, i.e., same or next business day, or should I give it a few more days?
Old May 11, 2008, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stickskier
I'll let you know how I get on in a day or 2. I've done a very small transfer to make it works before I try the whole amount.
stickskier - Thanks. Any news on the payment? Did it work and how long did it take? I am thinking of making a small payment as well, before sending the full amount due.
Old May 12, 2008, 5:35 am

Programs: VS Gold, Delta Platinum, Amex Centurion, Sixt Platinum
stickskier - Thanks. Any news on the payment? Did it work and how long did it take? I am thinking of making a small payment as well, before sending the full amount due.
The trial transfer went through in around 3 days so I've sent the main payment now. Glad it worked because I hate cheques (sorry I'm in the US now - checks.)
Old May 13, 2008, 6:12 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
I've been paying IDC charges through the Bill Pay service on my U.S. bank account for about two years. Payments post usually within two or three business days after the U.S. bill pay service withdraws the money from my account.

I would just recommend you keep an eye on the posting through the IDC website. After sending an initial test payment when I started using bill pay, the second payment I made, which happened to be substantial, was completely lost in the financial network for about eight weeks. IDC London was very understanding--once I provided them documentation from the bill pay service that the payment had been completed, no effort was made to place a hold on my IDC account. However, I did get a run around-- IDC initially told me to go back to the bill pay service and have the payment recalled. AMEX US would not provide any assistance. Ultimately I had to press IDC that they needed to work the payment back through their channels and the amount was ultimately credited to my account. Since then I have made about two dozen payments and never had a problem.

As a side-bar comment: I have concluded that AVS (address verification system) simply does not work with my IDC. If I wish to buy something through the internet or mail-order from a U.S. merchant that strictly insists on address verification, I have to use another card. Adding addresses through customer service does not seem to help. The system rejects even when the item is being sent to the address that matches exactly with my card statement.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXRuss
I have concluded that AVS (address verification system) simply does not work with my IDC.
LAXRuss - Thanks so much for your comments.

I have to agree with you on the AVS part. The "one-and-only" merchant I never had problems with was/is Amazon.com. Lately, even CITGO gas stations started asking for ZIP codes, and I can't get my IDC card to work at the pump. I tried billing zip code, as well as 00000 or 99999 - no go. I always have to go in and leave the card with the clerk before filing up the car.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.
does anyone know if the bill pay option with the fort lauderdale address still works for paying an amex idc from a us bank account? thanks.

Last edited by alemdohorizonte; Mar 30, 2010 at 3:01 am
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:48 am
mia

It works for me. When I did the initial setup I provided the New York (wire transfer) address, but I do not think my bank used it because they pay Amex electronically and the physical location is irrelevant. I have ignored the notices about the IDC remittance details changing and my account is still credited promptly.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXRuss
After sending an initial test payment when I started using bill pay, the second payment I made, which happened to be substantial, was completely lost in the financial network for about eight weeks.
A warning to all using a US bill payment service to pay the IDC card: My payment was recently "lost" as well and Amex IDC London was not helpful at all in this process - they insisted on a SWIFT confirmation letter from my bank, even though the transfer was a bill payment and not a SWIFT wire. IDC London has zero knowledge of how bill payment works, they are only familiar with cheques and wires.

My bank claimed the money has been received by Amex and that they provided Amex with proof of payment, while Amex still required a SWIFT letter to locate the payment.

I disputed my bank's statement - asking them to redeposit the funds into my account as the payment never posted, and this prompted them to involve their "research" team.

In any case, I will stick to wire transfers or checks in the future.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold
Amex have been offering ACH payment from US bank accounts for the Dollar Card since last September. Much more reliable than mailing a check and cheaper than a wire.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Trinners
Amex have been offering ACH payment from US bank accounts for the Dollar Card since last September. Much more reliable than mailing a check and cheaper than a wire.
What?! I was not aware of this - where would I find this information?

I would love to use ACH payment from my US bank to IDC. This isn't shown among the options when I log into my IDC account and click on the payment options link.

Thanks,
Susan
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:22 am
mia

ACH previously discussed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...x-idc-iec.html
Old Feb 21, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
The IDC ACH payments from a U.S. bank account now work perfectly for me. The automatic debit comes through about 15 days after the statement billing date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.