Wiki Posts
Search

Membership Rewards worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Location: Portland, Or. AA Lifetime Plat, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, AMEX Plat
Membership Rewards worth it?

Probably someone can direct me to a long thread, but I can't find. I'm going to earn 1.5 million miles/points this year (and probably next). Have been AA Visa for years, but AA is reducing PDX flights so maybe time to change alliance. Joined AMEX PLAT and have 650K points. Now I'm reading maybe this is bad choice. Where is best place to compare c/c and programs?
Thanks!
p.s. I'm open to all comments/suggestions
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:32 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
I think Membership Rewards are great if you often use your points for flights at the last minute (most MR transfers are instantaneous compared to Starwood which can take up to two weeks to post). Also, Amex Platinum has a great EOS deal where you can get a JFK<->London ticket for $500 and 50k miles.

That being said, if none of that particularly interests you, Starwood has a wider range of carriers to which you can transfer miles. Since you accumulate so many, if you, for some unbelievable reason, need to fly United, you at least have the option to transfer 2:1, whereas with MR, it's just not possible. Also, you can still fly AA at 1:1. Furthermore, you get the extra 5k miles for every 20k points you transfer. And you can use the miles for Starwood hotel stays, like at the St. Regis.

What I wouldn't do for 650k miles, let alone 1.5m...
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:38 am
In memoriam

I got an MR card a while ago when there was a 25K bonus points promotion for first use.

I didn't see any point in using the card much, transfered my bonus into Delta miles and closed the card before the annual fee was due.

I agree, I'd rather have Starwood points.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:48 pm
zou

Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
I think Membership Rewards are great if you often use your points for flights at the last minute (most MR transfers are instantaneous compared to Starwood which can take up to two weeks to post). Also, Amex Platinum has a great EOS deal where you can get a JFK<->London ticket for $500 and 50k miles.
Is that for the US only? Or can I take advantage of the EOS deal with my ICC USD Platinum as well?

Last edited by zou; Apr 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
My opinion of AX MR.

1. Good way to fill out your CO, DL, ANA, FF accounts. If you are short of miles on a FF program that partners with AX, you can transfer in some points.

2. Best part of AX MR is first year free AX cards (including Delta Skymiles) that give 5,000 -25,000 signup /minimum spend bonuses. You get points for free.

3. Eveyone speaks about AX Starwood Preferred Guest card as a great card. But for me, I don't spend much on credit cards and I do most of my spending fullfilling Citicard Aadvantage minimum spend requirements (now up to $750). So I usually spend $750 per month on the Citicards (the newest card I got) and get 15,000 to 25,000 per card.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 7:41 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by whynotgo
My opinion of AX MR.

1. Good way to fill out your CO, DL, ANA, FF accounts. If you are short of miles on a FF program that partners with AX, you can transfer in some points.

2. Best part of AX MR is first year free AX cards (including Delta Skymiles) that give 5,000 -25,000 signup /minimum spend bonuses. You get points for free.

3. Eveyone speaks about AX Starwood Preferred Guest card as a great card. But for me, I don't spend much on credit cards and I do most of my spending fullfilling Citicard Aadvantage minimum spend requirements (now up to $750). So I usually spend $750 per month on the Citicards (the newest card I got) and get 15,000 to 25,000 per card.
I agree with points 1 and 2 above. For flights, I find the Citi PremierPass Elite card by far the best card when redeeming using the fixed point award option. Each dollar you charge can bring up to a 6% return.

John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.